Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford city

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I remember the first time i watched that footage and it still has an impact on me now, but it is one of many tragic events that have been caught on film do we ban them all? It needs to be seen by people as a reminder of why we have some of the safety measures put in place in all aspects of society.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
RIP to all those that lost their lives. It was a tragedy that changed my outlook on football and, far from being taken offline, perhaps it should be compulsory viewing for all fans to show that it is just a game and there are more important things in life, such as going home after a game! The families are under no obligation to actually watch the footage however when the use of it is abused, such as blaming it on a bomb or on hooliganism then action should be taken and formal apologies sought.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On another angle I think it's shocking and shameful that Bradford isn't remembered the way Hillsborough is. Both tragedies were caused by old-fashioned grounds, old-fashioned policing and old-fashioned stewarding. But as we all know one of the (wrong) conclusions from Hillsborough was that the concept of standing to watch football was intrinsically unsafe and government policy was formulated accordingly. Bradford was swept under the carpet as it demonstrated that in old-fashioned grounds sitting down was equally unsafe - and that was way off-message.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On another angle I think it's shocking and shameful that Bradford isn't remembered the way Hillsborough is. Both tragedies were caused by old-fashioned grounds, old-fashioned policing and old-fashioned stewarding. But as we all know one of the (wrong) conclusions from Hillsborough was that the concept of standing to watch football was intrinsically unsafe and government policy was formulated accordingly. Bradford was swept under the carpet as it demonstrated that in old-fashioned grounds sitting down was equally unsafe - and that was way off-message.

By a distance the most relevant post in this thread. A small mention before the second half kicked off at the Cup Final is ridiculous. It should be an event which is remembered properly.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
ACKROYD, John Douglas 32 Baildon
ANDERTON, Edmund 68 Bingley
BAINES, Alexander Shaw 70 Bradford
BAMFORD, Herbert 72 Bradford
BULMER, Christopher James 11 Burley-in-Wharfedale
COXON, Jack Leo 76 Bradford
COXON, Leo Anthony 44 Halifax
CRABTREE, David James 30 Bradford
CRABTREE, Harry 76 Bradford
DEMPSEY, Derek 46 Morley
FIRTH, Muriel 56 Baildon
FIRTH, Samuel 86 Bradford
FLETCHER, Andrew 11 East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FLETCHER, Edmond 63 Pudsey
FLETCHER, John 34 East Bridgford, Nottingham
FLETCHER, Peter 32 Gildersome
FORSTER, Nellie 64 Bradford
GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear 13 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Peter 46 Denholme
GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict 11 Denholme
HALL, Norman 71 Bradford
HALLIDAY, Peter Anthony 34 Bradford
HARTLEY, Arthur 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Edith 79 Bradford
HINDLE, Frederick 76 Bradford
HODGSON, Moira Helen 15 Oakenshaw
HUDSON, Eric 72 Bingley
HUGHES, John 64 Bradford
HUTTON, John 74 Bradford
KERR, Walter 76 Bradford
LOVELL, Peter Charles 43 Bradford
LUDLAM, Jack 55 Bradford
McPHERSON, Gordon Stuart 39 Bradford
McPHERSON, Irene 28 Bradford
MASON, Roy 74 Silsden
MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman 84 Bradford
MITCHELL, Harold 79 Bradford
MUHL, Elizabeth 21 Leeds
NORMINGTON, Ernest 74 Shipley
ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley 40 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Richard John 12 Bingley
ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian 12 Bingley
POLLARD, Sylvia Lund 69 Bradford
PRICE, Herbert 78 Shipley
ROBERTS, Amanda Jayne 20 Bradford
SAMPSON, Jane 18 Leeds
STACEY, William 72 Sleaford, Lincolnshire
STOCKMAN, Craig Albert 14 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Jane Ashley 16 Bradford
STOCKMAN, Trevor John 38 Brighouse
TURNER, Howard Malcolm 41 Bingley
TURNER, Sarah Elizabeth 16 Bingley
WARD, Simon Neil 18 Shipley
WEDGEWORTH, Robert 72 Guiseley
WEST, William James 78 North Hykeham, Lincoln
WRIGHT, Adrian Mark 11 Bradford

Rest In Peace

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There are some very young people in there and some families.

In the same way brighton have an issue with palace , Huddersfield have the same with Bradford. But certain things unite fans. Unfortunately it takes a tragedy to do so.

Rip the 56

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
There are some very young people in there and some families.

In the same way brighton have an issue with palace , Huddersfield have the same with Bradford. But certain things unite fans. Unfortunately it takes a tragedy to do so.

Rip the 56

100% this Dave.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
If my memory serves me well, we played Sheff Utd that day. Dunno the score but I remember walking along OSR listening to the radio for other scores and hearing /trying to understand the disaster that was unfolding.
RIP the 56

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
cant believe another year has past, RIP to all

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have seen the video (although Youtube appear to have taken it down last time I looked), and it is the most horrific thing I have seen at a football ground - much worse than Heysel or Hillsborough.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
If my memory serves me well, we played Sheff Utd that day. Dunno the score but I remember walking along OSR listening to the radio for other scores and hearing /trying to understand the disaster that was unfolding.
RIP the 56

I was actually in the players lounge after the game and everyone was just staring at the footage in total disbelief.

It just makes you realise quite how petty these stupid rivalries really are, there are so many more important things in life.

(we won 1:0)

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I have seen the burns/scars from that day - truly horrific - wooden stands - wooden escalators at Kings Cross - at least things have been learnt since then.

Good people who went to watch a game of footy. RIP

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Why would you want to ban it? I've never seen that footage before but now I can truly appreciate the magnitude of what happened that day. What winds me up is the Bradford City fans chanting while there are people dying, and at the end having a go at the away fans.

The fans chanting were not aware of the loss of life at that time! All they saw was a stand burning down! It's known as 'crowd dynamics' it's how certain individuals react to these type of situations!

The Bradford fire of 1985 was a tragedy hopefully never to be repeated!

Along with the London Underground fire, we learnt massive lessons regarding fire safety and the authorities implemented much needed regulations to prevent these tragic incidents from reoccurring.

RIP

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I was there with my dad and bro, we stood in the kop. We were going to go in the stand and have a seat, but the queue was too long so we went and stood. I can still remember the smoke that everyone ignored and then the first flames licking through the wooden seats and everyone realised how serious it was and started to pour onto the edge of the pitch as the match continued. The heat when the fire took hold was so hot even at the far side of the kop. As we left in silence I recall saying to dad 'at least no one has died' - we couldn't see anyone in the stand and presumed everyone had got out. Little did I know that Chris Bulmer from the year above me at school had died. A day I'll never forget. RIP the 56.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have you seen the video? You can't see anyone clearly enough for it to be offensive.

What's next? Banning of 9/11 videos for the same reason? There's nothing to hide.
i worked with the sister of the brother that died along with his kids,never the same person and you never will be. Show the fire,RESPECT TO THOSE THAT DIED.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I agree with most of that, but I'm not sure Bradford was swept under the carpet.
Lessons did get learned.
How many wooden stands have been built since the tragedy?
I don't know the answer to that, but I'd wager the answer is probably zero.

... And thank god for smoking bans.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
from what i remember reading many moons ago fans tried to get footage removed and banned from the internet which implicates hooliganism as a cause especially that crappy yank production as mentioned earlier " when good times go bad",i have never heard of Bradford fans however trying to have all footage removed,simply the misinformed crap that one expects from over the pond.
The commentary by John Helm is a historical and very moving record of a dreadful event.

i remember going home that day thinking the Albion would be in all sorts of trouble with what happened on the pitch with sheff utd,listening to the news of what happened at Bradford and with the wall at birmingham on the same day was a very sobering experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here