Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yer self ............some of this could happen!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El Pres, I thought the Arsenal attendance in 1979 was around 28,000 as the turnstile counter 'malfunctioned', in fact I thought the irony of our top flight stay was we never got a 30,000 crowd.

It was a story down the rounds Lenny, but there was a fair amount of space that day on the terraces

Feb 14, 2010
He's an ignorant, ill-informed ****, whichever way you dress up the stats.

I wont retort with insults. However you still miss the point. I hope its deliberate as with El P who just likes to knock his adopted club, as the other alternative is not great. The point I make is to compare like with like with like. In other words, compar a club with such a lack of success and against the peers the club plays against for the division they are in. So your statistics are meaningless unless they compare the statistics for the clubs in the division the Albion were in at the time, whilst also including into the mix, how well the club did that season. Its also right to discount anomalies caused by seasons such as "the war years", Gillingham and Withdean. I have not got the graph but someone else posted it. I will not call you ignorant but I suggest you find it so to increase your knowledge. Then, if its not a step too far, then also ask yourself, how such a club has managed to get the 11th best support in the country both now and in the 1970s. After that, ask yourself what could be achieved with a side that was even mid table in the top flight. So for example, Sheffield United get bigger gates than their peers, and in fact many teams in the division above. The fact they are smaller currently than say Palace, does not mean a thing. It just means that they play in the third tier, whilst Palace are in the premier league, playing Man U instead of Crawley.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I wont retort with insults. However you still miss the point. I hope its deliberate as with El P who just likes to knock his adopted club, as the other alternative is not great. The point I make is to compare like with like with like. In other words, compar a club with such a lack of success and against the peers the club plays against for the division they are in. So your statistics are meaningless unless they compare the statistics for the clubs in the division the Albion were in at the time, whilst also including into the mix, how well the club did that season. Its also right to discount anomalies caused by seasons such as "the war years", Gillingham and Withdean. I have not got the graph but someone else posted it. I will not call you ignorant but I suggest you find it so to increase your knowledge. Then, if its not a step too far, then also ask yourself, how such a club has managed to get the 11th best support in the country both now and in the 1970s. After that, ask yourself what could be achieved with a side that was even mid table in the top flight. So for example, Sheffield United get bigger gates than their peers, and in fact many teams in the division above. The fact they are smaller currently than say Palace, does not mean a thing. It just means that they play in the third tier, whilst Palace are in the premier league, playing Man U instead of Crawley.

That makes literally no sense at all.

Of course you need to compare like with like and take into account a whole load of other factors. Which is exactly why your comments about "we got 30,000 crowds while in the third tier of English football" is such a pointless remark, without a big list of crowds for ALL the other teams in ALL the divisions we've ever played in, along with capacities and so on and so on. It's like saying "Palace get 50,000 crowds in division two". Yeah they did, but you need to know the context in which that happened.

Anyway, I'm done with it all now. I know you are Palace on a wind up and more fool me for biting, but you crack on and have your fun. If that's what makes you happy then fair play to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here