Bournemouth willing to let Murray leave on a free

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He was Bobby's replacement in January, Bournemouth agreed a fee, Murray and the club couldn't agree the deal.

Source: a player at the club's parent.

And that's the difference between championship and the premiership.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Who do you expect to do the job at less than that. Going over old ground but had he signed pre the March deadline we would be in the Premier now as he has the ability to score goals, make goals for others and defend set pieces one of our big failings.

32 years young, 22 games, 4 goals. Has not been playing regularly. Can we not move on? How many times?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Who do you expect to do the job at less than that. Going over old ground but had he signed pre the March deadline we would be in the Premier now as he has the ability to score goals, make goals for others and defend set pieces one of our big failings.

Hemed did and others can....He's not goner be what he was I'm afraid and we need some more pace up top.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No need for a PM.

Glenn's father in law drives a cab for the Southwick firm I use. Mostly he's not actually working as he takes him to and form Bournemouth. However, he dropped me and my mate to Brighton Station to get the train to Middlesboro and we talked football most of the way. Basically [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] has repeated what he told us. That we cooled off given what it would have cost us.

Now that COULD have been smug-Ken's way of stopping the deal but the inference was that we felt our money could have been better spent elsewhere.

My own opinion is that if we do feel we can spend the money more wisely then so do I. Coming here suits GLENN. He still lives here. However, what we've built is an enviable TEAM built on good spirit and togetherness. One wrong cog in the wheel - i.e. Manu - would be a waste of cash.

I think we'll be looking for prolific scorers but they'd have to fit Hughton's team ethic and the wage structure.

Particularly that last point. I would be very happy to have him back, BUT only if our esteemed leader on a new 4 year contract wants him.

And it is always possible we have better options lined up. We may be pleasantly surprised by what happens between now and the beginning of next season. If Mr Bloom wants a top two finish, he must recognise he will have to support CH to do it, and I think it is very, very clear that they have a good relationship!!!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So therefore he will be looking for a 3 year contract on 30k p/w wages and a huge signing on fee. That equates to £5m for a 33 year old footballer who hasnt been banging the goals in since the season Palace went up, hasn't even played regular football since then.

Still no thanks, Bournemouth can keep him, and before anyone thinks i am just not a fan of his, I was one of the ones singing his praises when plenty on here were slagging him for being lazy, i was absolutely gutted when we let him go, but his day has been and gone in my opinion.

Our scouting network scours all of Europe and far further afield too, do you really think for that sort of money we cant find somebody younger and probably better than Glenn Murray?
You will probably say why didn't we get them this season then? Maybe our budget didnt stretch to it after bringing in 9 new players last summer plus Skalak and Knockaert in January, perhaps we tried and couldnt get the players for one reason or another.

This year, as long as we can keep the players we have, our budget will predominantly go on Strikers, whole different scenario.

..... and we will be a more attractive club to play for. narrowly missing promotion, great set-up and an involved Chairman saying he is aiming for a top two finish.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No need for a PM.

Glenn's father in law drives a cab for the Southwick firm I use. Mostly he's not actually working as he takes him to and form Bournemouth. However, he dropped me and my mate to Brighton Station to get the train to Middlesboro and we talked football most of the way. Basically [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] has repeated what he told us. That we cooled off given what it would have cost us.

Now that COULD have been smug-Ken's way of stopping the deal but the inference was that we felt our money could have been better spent elsewhere.

My own opinion is that if we do feel we can spend the money more wisely then so do I. Coming here suits GLENN. He still lives here. However, what we've built is an enviable TEAM built on good spirit and togetherness. One wrong cog in the wheel - i.e. Manu - would be a waste of cash.

I think we'll be looking for prolific scorers but they'd have to fit Hughton's team ethic and the wage structure.

I can back up this story about Murray's father-in-law driving a sherbet in case anyone thinks this is a BG-style "someone on the train said" tale.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Someone was on here the otherday saying how crap the Spanish League is. Perhaps we can get a few more of their crap players rather than going for someone who has probably had his day and won't improve himself nor the team.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If ever there was a no-brainer, short of having the opportunity to re-sign Ashley Barnes, it's this one shirley. Re-sign GM on a free and you'd get the best bits of Hemed and Baldock all rolled into the one player, with none of the limitations of either.

Agree. And it will wind up a seemingly significant number of morons as well. Win win win win.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Bamford couldn't get a game with you or Norwich , why ?

Because his opinion of his ability doesn't match most other peoples.
In short, thinks he's too good for low to mid PL teams

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we need to be looking forward not back now! :albion2:
That's a tough ask.

Anyone would think NSC has been unhappy by this seasons recruits.

We've had the most exciting season since football began #skysports.
A fantastic influx of brilliant players, perfectly complimenting those already here.
Yet, even though the seasons corpse is still warm the clamour begins for Murray and Barnes.

I loved it when we signed Bong.
Nobody had heard of him.
Even the fans at Wigan away that watched him play hadn't heard of him.
Yet were it not for injury he may well have ended up Player of the Season.

Skalak's goal - Skalak's goal - say no more.
Connor Goldson - Just how gutted where we when he went off injured?

Every (bar one) new arrival has made a massive mark in Albion folklore and yet it 'Murray & Barnes please'.

My major reservation for this summer is:-

'Shirley the recruitment team can't be that good again, can it?'

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Murray/His Agent/Bournemouth will want another club to take over the remaining 2 years of his contract at 30k a week,it's unlikely he'll get any singing on fee. As I said the other alternative is Bournemouth have to cover he shortfall in wages if he moves to another club and they are not willing to take over his existing contract. If that is the case Bournemouth would have to negotiate with Murray on compensation for the remainder of that contract. If I was Murray, and considering the way Howe has treated him, I'd be looking for a full payout for Bournemouth for wages as a massive **** you to Howe.

Having said that if we were to announce we'd signed Murray for 2 years for 1.5 million and he'd be on 15k a week, the total outlay over the 2 years would be roughly the same though but it seems a lot better deal for us written down like that.

I have a feeling that Bournemouth won't agree his transfer for anything other than a total take over of his contract though

On the first point, Murray has an agent, he will absolutely make sure Glenn Murray makes as much money as possible from what will very likely be his last contract as a player, I would suggest he will say, here is a player that was worth £4 Million just one year ago, we want a minimum £500k signing on fee. If you think he will just sign for the love of playing for Brighton, then i would suggest he would have accepted the terms offered to him before he left.

On the second point, even on a two year contract, with the signing on fee, you are looking at £3.5 Million for a 33 year old player who has not played regular football for the last 3 seasons, i dont really care which way you twist the figures that is a huge amount of money that can be better spent elsewhere.

If He can stay fit, he may have scored the goals, or he may not have stayed fit and joined Bobby Zamora in the treatment room, very big IF.

£30K per week = £1.56m per year and with the players we already have that would be a cheap price for promotion.

Again If he can stay fit.

Our aim for next season is top two, we are talking about a player who has been deemed not good enough for the premier league by both Crystal Palace and Bournemouth, in fact i believe Reading even had the chance to make his deal permanent after his loan there, they chose not to, i have no idea why, maybe they thought he isn't the player he once was, even at Championship level.

Bournemouth paid a rediculous amount for him, on huge wages, why the hell should we bail them out, let him bleed them dry, we can do better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports