Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth - regional rivals? big game? meh? What do YOU think?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
To be fair to Bournemouth, they probably had access to much better drugs than us in the 1970s....

bournemouth1974.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think the word 'meh' should be banned ASAP!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bournemouth are not, never have been, and never will be a BIG club.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Still can feel the physical scars from the game in "71 when they surprised us and got in the North Stand 2 hours before kick off,it was a Bank holiday game and we were the first Albion in the ground,about 20 of us trying to defend the North Stand from hundreds of them,but it all came good in the end.
Saint Johns Ambulance boys wanted to take me to Hove Gen but no way was I leaving the N.S.that day.

I don't hold grudges though but "tomato" day was fun.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It might have been you I saw walking up the steps of the North Stand before the game with a head bandage covered with blood, there were 4/5 guys in the Brighton end with the same head gear.
Still can feel the physical scars from the game in "71 when they surprised us and got in the North Stand 2 hours before kick off,it was a Bank holiday game and we were the first Albion in the ground,about 20 of us trying to defend the North Stand from hundreds of them,but it all came good in the end.
Saint Johns Ambulance boys wanted to take me to Hove Gen but no way was I leaving the N.S.that day.

I don't hold grudges though but "tomato" day was fun.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Leeds away last season, met a lot of Bournemouth at the return leg stop off, seemed a nice enough bunch, although always use to hate them.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bournemouth, ha ha

bournemouthskins.jpg

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Interesting to read some Cherries fans getting quite worked up on another forum about the comparative fan bases of our two clubs and 'who is the biggest' blah blah. They seem to be fixated on a Palace style rant about our recent crowd figures being due to an influx of plastics (yawn).

One poor misguided punter suggests we are cheating because we can draw upon the whole of Sussex for our support. But no doubt many Bournemouth fans come from Dorset and beyond. Yet in another breath claims the population of Bournemouth is more than 400k, which I suggest makes their support shameful. I thought 'surely it can't be that 'but found that the 400k includes Poole and Christchurch.

From my point of view it seems simpler to just focus on the names of our respective teams (the clue is in the name) so Brighton and Hove (Albion) has a population of 273k. Whereas (AFC) Bournemouth has a population of 183k. OK it is a crude analogy but maybe better reflects the proportions of fans the respective clubs enjoy these days.

Even then one of the Cherries fans claims we are cheating because we should not include 'Hove'. I don't know what planet the poor misguided Cherry lives on but we have been Brighton and Hove Albion for most of existence and technically they are still Bournemouth and Boscombe FC, so not as if we are moving the goalposts.

Even back in the 70's we both managed crowds over 20k and occasionally we were up around 30k, so what has changed? Why doesn't a similar big seaside resort like Bournemouth have a comparable footie club?

They have had their ups and downs both on and off the pitch and have also updated Dean Court over the years, despite mainly existing in the lower leagues, a bit like us in recent years. They are probably batting at or well above their true position allowing for budgets etc despite having some well heeled owners. OK Dean Court isn't exactly The Amex but if they suddenly built a 30k stadium after years without a ground of their own would they get 26k average crowds? Somehow I don't feel there is a sleeping giant of a Club waiting to be woken up.

Ah the million dollar question about crowds..yes, god knows why ours nosedived. Certainly having Saints close doesn't help. I still think you have better county wide support than we do. I was at Horsham for an athletics meeting and the local rag had a regular column by the 'north west sussex' albion supporters club, or something like that! Impressive.

No one is claiming that we are a sleeping giant, but 15k crowds should be possible. The local population 'urban area' is slightly less than yours, which, yes, makes our attendances terrible!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
So if this is a south coast derby does this mean games against Plymouth and Torquay are now Derbies? ???

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
An ordinary lower division club currently having a temporary foray into this division, with very average support and no real history or tradition of being in the big time. Not seen by me to be a rival of any sort.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sanctimonious arse that commentator is. "These are very distressing scenes". What? They're not DISTRESSING in any way. Filipino people with no homes and drinking water following the typhoon is distressing. A child suffering a life threatening illness is distressing. A cat lying in the road having been hit by a car might be distressing to many.

A bunch of blokes running on a football pitch for five minutes, waving a banner is not in any way, shape or form "distressing".
I think that bloke being hit on his, er, truncheon by that truncheon might have been distressed!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
An ordinary lower division club currently having a temporary foray into this division, with very average support and no real history or tradition of being in the big time. Not seen by me to be a rival of any sort.

Are you talking about Brighton?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Ah the million dollar question about crowds..yes, god knows why ours nosedived. Certainly having Saints close doesn't help. I still think you have better county wide support than we do. I was at Horsham for an athletics meeting and the local rag had a regular column by the 'north west sussex' albion supporters club, or something like that! Impressive.

No one is claiming that we are a sleeping giant, but 15k crowds should be possible. The local population 'urban area' is slightly less than yours, which, yes, makes our attendances terrible!

Agree with you there .....15k well within your grasp, not being sarcastic, I like your club, nice to see you doing so well this year, hope you stay up. Good point for us today,always a tricky game at your place.

Jan 30, 2008
Agree with you there .....15k well within your grasp, not being sarcastic, I like your club, nice to see you doing so well this year, hope you stay up. Good point for us today,always a tricky game at your place.
just seen as a jolly up, not even in our league :wink:
regards
DR

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Cheers. Yep we'll see how it pans out. Shame we couldn't sneak the three points, especially seing Donny and Yeovil win later! Not likely to get much out of QPR and Reading away in the next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here