Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth - regional rivals? big game? meh? What do YOU think?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Personally i'm more meh than anything but my old man despises them with a passion.

We never seem to do well there, even with a top of the table team etc so to be honest I'll be happy with a point.

On the game front i'm pretty certain that this represents more of a troublesome fixture than most think. This isn't like going to Donny or Yeovil where in the main you would be dealing with a team trying to contain us and stop us playing our game. I really think it will be a very open affair and I sincerely hope that OG sticks with Ince and JFC in the midfield with maybe a smattering of experience in either Crofts/Andrews alongside SD.

2-2.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A big fat M-EH from me. Just another game, no more or less significant than any other.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I suspect the only "tension" was in 71-72 when Albion, Villa, Notts County, and Bournemouth, were in contention (Villa and The Albion in the end)

Spookily for the 70's one needed a ticket to get into Dean Court, and the Albion supporters duly filed into the end where Bloody Ted MacDougall handled the ball into the net and the goal stood. I think Bertie Lutton scored for us and we drew 1-1.

The seventies are , of course, notorious. In the top division there was an element of hooliganism, and the supporters weren't much better. There were 22,000 watching us at Bournemouth so there was a bit of copy catting going on, so there was some excitement, and some handbags. One of their fans even swore at me - no, honest !

In those days nobody sang about Albion supporters and their sexual preferences, though WE sang that notorious song about Georgie Best, and Alan Ball and what Ted MacDougall liked to do as an adult in his own private time.

But Bournemoth as big rivals ?

I think not.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I blame Southern TV , TVS and Meridian TV for making out that the two clubs are rivals.

i suspect the only "tension" was in 71-72 when albion, villa, notts county, and bournemouth, were in contention (villa and the albion in the end)

spookily for the 70's one needed a ticket to get into dean court, and the albion supporters duly filed into the end where bloody ted macdougall handled the ball into the net and the goal stood. I think bertie lutton scored for us and we drew 1-1.

The seventies are , of course, notorious. In the top division there was an element of hooliganism, and the supporters weren't much better. There were 22,000 watching us at bournemouth so there was a bit of copy catting going on, so there was some excitement, and some handbags. One of their fans even swore at me - no, honest !

In those days nobody sang about albion supporters and their sexual preferences, though we sang that notorious song about georgie best, and alan ball and what ted macdougall liked to do as an adult in his own private time.

But bournemoth as big rivals ?

I think not.

super mac super star looks like a woman and he wears a bra:blush:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think they try to dislike everyone on the south coast but no-one gives a shit about them in return. They HATE Southampton, but Southampton probably dislike us more than they do Bournemouth. Out of the biggest four clubs on the coast, Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton and Bournemouth, Bournemouth are the smallest club by some distance.
Means nothing more to me to be playing them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember going to Bournemouth a few years ago when it was a cold, wet miserable day and we lost 1-0 with their goal being scored from a intercepted dodgy back pass in about the 93rd minute.
As we were trudging dejectedly back to the car I passed a group of smiling Plod and couldn't resist " Excuse me officer, I've just been mugged " " Oh dear sir, were there any witnesses ? " " Yes" I said "there was about 3 thousand of us "

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think they try to dislike everyone on the south coast but no-one gives a shit about them in return. They HATE Southampton, but Southampton probably dislike us more than they do Bournemouth. Out of the biggest four clubs on the coast, Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton and Bournemouth, Bournemouth are the smallest club by some distance.
Means nothing more to me to be playing them.

This is it for me. No matter where they are in the League, they will always be a little Noddy club who wishes very much to be hated by Saints and to a lesser extent Pompey, but whom nobody actually cares about.

When they did some survey ages ago about footballing rivalries, I think they were one of the clubs that nobody considered to be rivals.

Not keen on them myself but only because I dislike the town, the fact that we have a fairly crap record there, the recollection of their fans singing "HIV Positive" one season (nice) and the endless "poor old Bournemouth, save the Cherries" we used to get spoon fed by Meridian TV every season because they tend to go into administration a few times a decade.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plus, these days I find myself extremely suspicious of their finances, because of the dubious Russian owner, and because they can't possibly be paying £2million for strikers on the back of crowds of 7,000. FFP, my arse.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We were direct rivals for promotion in the 71-72 season and it was very satisfying to beat them to it, especially as they were so widely-feted because of Ted McDougall, while we were largely ignored by the national media. But otherwise? Small club in the middle of nowhere. Like Swindon. Not as significant a bump on our landscape as Millwall, Watford or Reading.

Beat them 2-0 at home in 1971/72 - crowd 30,600.
Drew 1-1 away - crowd 22,540.

We finished 3 points ahead of them in 2nd place (only 2 went up).

PG

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
Went to Bournemouth in the 90's, it was chucking it down all day, seem to remember the Brighton fans were in an end with no roof, so 4 of us decided to go in their home end which had a roof to keep dry, we all agreed not to reveal ourselves if we scored. Anyway seem to remember we had a storming start and scored really early in the first half, anyway we were controleed and just smiled, then i think Junior McDonald scored again at this point we celebrated crazily, the home fans backed off with one brave local trying to boot me as the old bill removed us and took us round the pitch to the Brighton end. Happy days, ps we were shit in those days.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You see, the thing with Bournemouth is that, having re-read my original post, I feel a bit mean calling them a little Noddy club.

I mean, they are, but it sort of feels like kicking a puppy to say it. That's the sort of club they are. Inoffensive. Nobody really MINDS them.

(well, I do when they irritatingly beat us, and when they used to be a sort of charity case, loaned players left right and centre from Saints, Pompey and whoever Harry Redknapp was managing at the time).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can't take them seriously as rivals when this is their badge:

200px-AFC_Bournemouth.svg.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not a side I'm remotely bothered about apart from their annoying ability to take points off us. The first time I went there we had a special choo choo train to take us all straight home. Which was nice.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here