Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth pretendance

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Why do people get so hung up about this. The club make no secret that the figure relates to tickets sold rather than those that come through the turnstile, just as pretty much every other club do. Yes it would be nice to know exactly how many are there but I'm not losing any sleep over it. These threads are about as dull as those that always used to shout 'get that board down' at the Goldstone and Amex. Funny the first couple of times but tedious thereafter.

Funny, I always thought this was a BHA football based forum, and consequently all matters concerning BHA were on the table for debate?

If you could send me your "rules" of what's in and out that would be helpful.

Returning to the point though, this issue is historical, but the converse to what we used to happen at the Goldstone, when post match we would fill the pubs and say...........there was more than 7000 there today wasn't there?

Why do people get so hung up about this. The club make no secret that the figure relates to tickets sold rather than those that come through the turnstile, just as pretty much every other club do. Yes it would be nice to know exactly how many are there but I'm not losing any sleep over it. These threads are about as dull as those that always used to shout 'get that board down' at the Goldstone and Amex. Funny the first couple of times but tedious thereafter.

Always made me laugh! get that board down! You knew you were home in the south stand when you heard the abuse!:lol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Funny, I always thought this was a BHA football based forum, and consequently all matters concerning BHA were on the table for debate?

If you could send me your "rules" of what's in and out that would be helpful.

Returning to the point though, this issue is historical, but the converse to what we used to happen at the Goldstone, when post match we would fill the pubs and say...........there was more than 7000 there today wasn't there?

You can read can't you? This is the same thread with the same comments we have after every home game. Fair enough if you find it stimulating discussion. I don't. I don't normally comment on these threads but today did because I'm still hacked off with our season. The difference between tickets sold and those through the gate doesn't really change what happens on the pitch.

Feel free to contribute to these threads as I don't impose any rules, not quite sure why you thought I did!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always made me laugh! get that board down! You knew you were home in the south stand when you heard the abuse!:lol:

Same! and the board man used to do funny little variations on his board-up board-down routine. Never got tired of chuckling at that.
Mind you, never get tired of posting in the Groundhog Day thread either, which probably says a lot :moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You had the option to not open this thread nor to waste any of your precious life reading/contributing to it.

That said I broadly agree with your second and third sentences.

My interest is really that the club seem to have backed themselves into a bit of a corner with this and it becomes even more obvious when they break from their usual routine by NOT announcing the attendance when the TV cameras are with us and there is clearly a big differential between tickets sold and bums on seat.

Do all clubs announce the attendance over the tannoy during games? Maybe the club should just stop doing this is they are that sensitive about their own supporters taking the piss out of it.

Not announcing MotM is also a curious one - presumably not done to clash with Sky who, presumably, chose a Bournemouth player last night.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You had the option to not open this thread nor to waste any of your precious life reading/contributing to it.

That said I broadly agree with your second and third sentences.

My interest is really that the club seem to have backed themselves into a bit of a corner with this and it becomes even more obvious when they break from their usual routine by NOT announcing the attendance when the TV cameras are with us and there is clearly a big differential between tickets sold and bums on seat.

Do all clubs announce the attendance over the tannoy during games? Maybe the club should just stop doing this is they are that sensitive about their own supporters taking the piss out of it.

Not announcing MotM is also a curious one - presumably not done to clash with Sky who, presumably, chose a Bournemouth player last night.

It's was 8:43 on a Saturday morning, not much going on in my life at that point so was a bit bored. For what it is worth, I agree with your comments regarding MOM. With regard to the clubs stopping announcing the attendence/tickets sold over the tannoy, don't you think there would be an equal amount of people that would start threads about that!!!

I'm off now to kick start my weekend having had our strikers very nearly ruin it last night before it had even got going.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can read can't you? This is the same thread with the same comments we have after every home game. Fair enough if you find it stimulating discussion. I don't. I don't normally comment on these threads but today did because I'm still hacked off with our season. The difference between tickets sold and those through the gate doesn't really change what happens on the pitch.

Feel free to contribute to these threads as I don't impose any rules, not quite sure why you thought I did!

You can read, too, though. Can't you? You can see a thread with "attendance"/"pretendance" in its title and recognise it's something you have no interest in and ignore, rather than going to the effort of writing a post letting everyone know you're above such petty concerns?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Knock 5,000 off that for the real figure.

And it would still be more than Palarse would get at home playing Chelsea, Man City or Arsenal :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But again I ask, what is the point that you are trying to make?

Agreed.
I'm a bit of a sad old bore when it comes to attendances etc (I CONFESS) but i also wonder what the point of estimating , in a normally pessimistic fashion, just how few had turned up and having a go at the club about it. Over and Over. The club and no other club it appears aren't going to switch to the old method and its not like they aren't being upfront about it. Or is it look how bad we are as a club cos people who've paid aren't turning up. Barber out!!

Also as we hardly ever know the real numbers its impossible to compare with other clubs or even previous seasons so its a really frustrating argument where there's no figures or data and no idea if its getting better, worse, or changing... At least with the other attendance threads there's some actual FACTS to play about with.

I even thought it had some value at some point this season as a possible indication of next seasons season ticket holders. Surely the no-shows wouldn't bother with this again and its of some interest to get an idea of how many there are...
But given that they've held up remarkably well it just means that Albion have a lot of season ticket holders who are happy to pay and not turn up for some evening games and remarkably nearly all of em are happy to do this again next season.. And more so when we're on the telly, the weathers bad, or its on a Tuesday or a Friday and even more so when there's a likelihood we might lose or play rubbish like most of this season. Basically like any other club then... SHOCKER.

Feb 14, 2010
The wole point of disclosing attendances is to compare clubs on a like for like basis. All clubs disclose ticket sales. Only at Brighton are there a few who want Brighton to shoot themselves in the foot by not doing what every other club does. Bottom line is that Brighton shifted 25000 tickets for a Friday night TV game when scrapping around the lower reaches of the second tier and shift more seats than the likes of West Brom in the Premier League. If only we had a side worthy of that support.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I've said - I also don't really care about the attendance v pretendance thing. It is what it is.

However, I do care when the club don't do something they usually do (announce the attendance) as they know they will be ridiculed by some of their very own people - us, the Albion fans. It doesn't feel healthy. It doesn't feel as though we really are all #together.

Feb 14, 2010
No they didn't. Many of those tickets were shifted long before the game was shifted. Including season tickets and non-season tickets.

So what? They also have shifted 20,000 season tickets for next season. More than many premier league clubs so how is that a bad thing? Only at Brighton can such a fantastic support be taken for granted and even criticised by a some. Its a funny old club BHA, most London clubs (leaving aside the arsenal, west ham, spurs and chelsea) can only pray for such a support.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
However, I do care when the club don't do something they usually do (announce the attendance) as they know they will be ridiculed by some of their very own people - us, the Albion fans. It doesn't feel healthy. It doesn't feel as though we really are all #together.

This. Feels like the club's dirty little secret that they have to keep hidden from the scrutiny of SKY viewers and pundits.

Feb 14, 2010
As I've said - I also don't really care about the attendance v pretendance thing. It is what it is.

Most clubs take it for granted that a fair proportion of STH wont turn up to every game, especially on a friday night when on tv. Only at Brighton is their hand wringing about it. Funny old club at times BHA

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So what? They also have shifted 20,000 season tickets for next season. More than many premier league clubs so how is that a bad thing? Only at Brighton can such a fantastic support be taken for granted and even criticised by a some. Its a funny old club BHA, most London clubs (leaving aside the arsenal, west ham, spurs and chelsea) can only pray for such a support.

It's not a bad thing in the least. I was only pulling you up on your statement that the club had 'shifted 25000 tickets for a Friday night game'. They didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here