Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not just Bournemouth.

I have just cycled back from work (Portslade to Ovingdean) along the seafront, and Brighton beaches are absolutely rammed all the way. It is busier than I can EVER remember it.

When they reopened the beaches in Florida there was a massive spike in Coronavirus, and the levels there are still high. I'd be amazed if we don't see the same thing here.

I've just returned from the Sussex County, from visiting my sister in law, and yes, there are people on the beach but it isn't rammed east of the Palace pier. I was on the top deck of the bus so I could see the beaches quite clearly.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
They're all just following the science, aren't they?

Can't blame them, people following guidelines. Not my cup of tea..

but they aren't following them are they? guidelines are two meters. If I were to go and see I couldn't maintain 2 meters then I would leave, so yes I can blame them. No one is forcing them to stay or go in the first place. Why is it NOT peoples fault when they don't follow the guidelines? There seems to be this "its everybody else fault apart from the people actually breaking the guideline" attitude which is beyond me

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As an aside, I am currently on a bus in Brighton. Masks are “mandatory” according to the government website; I am literally the only person wearing one. As many mistakes as the government have made, I can’t help but think if there is a second wave then the public will have a lot to answer to.

Exemptions for the use of face coverings will apply to those with certain health conditions, disabled people and children under the age of 11.

You must have been the only person that didn't have a valid exemption.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
but they aren't following them are they? guidelines are two meters. If I were to go and see I couldn't maintain 2 meters then I would leave, so yes I can blame them. No one is forcing them to stay or go in the first place. Why is it NOT peoples fault when they don't follow the guidelines? There seems to be this "its everybody else fault apart from the people actually breaking the guideline" attitude which is beyond me

I agree. But I guess there is an argument that says if the government don’t follow their own rules why should they?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leaving aside the Covid stuff, why would anybody want to drive into Bournemouth, sit in a traffic jam for an hour or more and then spend time on that beach?.

An eye test?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've just returned from the Sussex County, from visiting my sister in law, and yes, there are people on the beach but it isn't rammed east of the Palace pier. I was on the top deck of the bus so I could see the beaches quite clearly.

From Hove Lagoon to the Pier, mayhem. And Hove Lawns.

East of the Pier the beaches go far further back from the sea, so people tend not to sit at the top. Admittedly I couldn't see over the 'lip' from Madeira Drive.

Ovingdean...wow. Cars parked the length of Greenways and up Ainsworth Avenue, and the beach...I had fancied a quick swim after work, but I didn't want to join a crowd like that.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
As an aside, I am currently on a bus in Brighton. Masks are “mandatory” according to the government website; I am literally the only person wearing one. As many mistakes as the government have made, I can’t help but think if there is a second wave then the public will have a lot to answer to.

Fair play

4BE05E1A-6E31-4C5D-BCF7-354589922379.jpeg

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the Great British common sense that we heard so much about

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's not just Bournemouth.

I have just cycled back from work (Portslade to Ovingdean) along the seafront, and Brighton beaches are absolutely rammed all the way. It is busier than I can EVER remember it.

When they reopened the beaches in Florida there was a massive spike in Coronavirus, and the levels there are still high. I'd be amazed if we don't see the same thing here.

I really don't think the opening of beaches in Florida has much to do with the spike in infections in the state - it's somewhere I follow closely, daily, as we holiday there a lot and have another trip booked for October.

The primary reason for my thinking is that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, thankfully. Beyond that Florida has about a zillion miles of beach so, in the main, there is no need for people to be densely packed.

I think the main reason for Florida's spike, and that being seen in many other states currently, is the re-opening of almost every kind of indoor venue combined with some astounding ****wittery by many, many people. The story where a group of 16 friends all went out for their first post-lockdown drinks together and every single one of them got infected that same night perfectly illustrates that.

el punal

I wish MPs and media commentators would stop with the outrage and accusations.

People want to enjoy themselves, leisure facilities are closed, summer holidays abroad are cancelled. You can't blame anyone for thinking a trip to the beach might be nice on a sunny day.

It seems that loads of people from Brum are the ones on Bournemouth beach and around. As one of them said “We haven’t been able to go anywhere for three months - so we’re making the most of it”. FFS!! What’s wrong with Spaghetti Junction?

P.S. It could of course be hundreds of Villa fans scoping out Bournemouth for when they meet in the Championship next season. :D

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Herr Tubthumper;93919n't21 said:

Wtf is the bus driver doing then? It should be no mask, don't get on and if you do then we won't be moving.

I walk a dog for a lady with severe diabetes, copd, fibromyalgia and is obsese. She said yesterday she went on the bus into town, forgot her mask, didn't turn around and go back the 20 yards to her house, just carried on with her outing with her boyfriend (also obese and copd). Stupid if you ask me. But then the British, generally, we are a stupid nation nowadays are we not?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I really don't think the opening of beaches in Florida has much to do with the spike in infections in the state - it's somewhere I follow closely, daily, as we holiday there a lot and have another trip booked for October.

The primary reason for my thinking is that the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors, thankfully. Beyond that Florida has about a zillion miles of beach so, in the main, there is no need for people to be densely packed.

I think the main reason for Florida's spike, and that being seen in many other states currently, is the re-opening of almost every kind of indoor venue combined with some astounding ****wittery by many, many people. The story where a group of 16 friends all went out for their first post-lockdown drinks together and every single one of them got infected that same night perfectly illustrates that.

Fair enough, I will admit to knowing little about Florida in general - certainly compared to you.

I used Florida as an example because a friend who now lives there posted this on Facebook:
For my UK and Euro mates a little food for thought.. We opened back up here in Florida including bars and gyms and crammed together at the beach and pools. Now cases are skyrocketing worse than before, primarily in the 19 to 34 age range, including deaths and hospitalizations, because they went back out to party and are now passing it on to their families. In some cases 1 person in a bar or party has infected many people and they have then taken it home. Be safe and kind and don't put your loved ones at risk. Freedom sadly comes at a price right now.

As you say, she talks about inside spaces with beaches as an add on.

What I am seeing on my commutes home seriously concerns me, though.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Not usually one for pedantry but it's really annoying me now that so many people are referring to face masks being mandatory on public transport it's a face covering of some kind, it doesn't have to be a mask

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here