Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bottom Three in Championship

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
You don't tend to stay up if your goal difference is -20+. And, to quote their former chairman, for that reason, Millwall are out! Together with Blackpool and Broken Leg Athletic!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's since the Government refused to allow him to re-name the town of Wigan, Dave Whelanville, his hugely over inflated ego couldn't handle it

To mark the occasion, Penguin is releasing a special new paperback edition of The Road to Whelan Pier.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A 9 point gap with 10 to play is massive. A point v Reading would be most welcome to make this gap even wider.

Equally pleasing is that Rotherham, and the hopeless Fulham are now between us and the drop.

The apocalyptic, worst case is that we require 4 more wins to stay up. Reality will be that 46 points will be enough, which is 2 more wins.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rotherham v Wigan on Saturday.

'Must Win' for Wigan.
'Must Not Lose' for Rotherham.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The bottom three have been the bottom three since 29th December when we moved out of the relegation zone. While it would mean we were safe, I think it would be quite boring if it they stayed there until the end of the season. There needs to be a dramatic revival from one of them, and an equally dramatic plummeting from someone further up the table.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
A 9 point gap with 10 to play is massive. A point v Reading would be most welcome to make this gap even wider.

Equally pleasing is that Rotherham, and the hopeless Fulham are now between us and the drop.

The apocalyptic, worst case is that we require 4 more wins to stay up. Reality will be that 46 points will be enough, which is 2 more wins.
I think its a dangerous position we are in. We are far enough to feel safe, yet close enough to not be safe.

I think a win against Reading and another big performance resulting in a win against Wolves Coupled with Rotherham beating Wigan and us not loosing to Millwall and Wigan would make us safe.

My hope is we get to about 15 points above the relegation zone and keep that gap. Then in the last 5 games play Walton, Rae, and bring perhaps Charlie Harris into the first team. Whilst starting in ernest our summer recruitment.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
dave-whelan_2847449a.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see WIgan getting out of this. I imagine what good players they still have are on the phone to their agents right now saying "Get me out of here quick!"

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I did not realise this about the Championship:

From Wiki
The Championship is the wealthiest non-top flight football division in the world and the seventh richest division in Europe.[SUP][2][/SUP] The average match attendance for the 201112 season was 17,738, which also makes it the most-watched secondary league in the world.[SUP][3][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Championship

I can't see WIgan getting out of this. I imagine what good players they still have are on the phone to their agents right now saying "Get me out of here quick!"

Whilst I love the unpredictability of this division and the fact that big budgets don't guarantee anything, I also find it just a little bit sad the growing number of genuinely talented (often top flight) players that chase the money this league now has to offer only to see their careers either waste away or grind to a complete halt having realised they've joined a circus with an overloaded squad, mad owners and ever-changing managers. Case in point being the two reasonably prolific La Liga strikers purchased by Wigan and Cardiff this summer; barely kicked a ball for 6 months and now loaned out to Deportivo and Malaga (actually a much higher standard).

In general these days the Championship seems over-saturated with under-performing ex-top flight players on inflated wages, and I can't see exactly where it's going to stop.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I agree too. Does create a premature end of season feeling for a lot of teams in bottom half.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
out of the 11 games for us i still feel we need 3 or 4 wins to make sure we will be playing championship football next season

Be surprised if we need more than 6 points from our final 11; can you really see Millwall or Wigan getting more than 15 from their final 10?

Having said that, I reckon we will win 4, draw a couple and lose 5 for a comfortable mid-lower table finish.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Be surprised if we need more than 6 points from our final 11; can you really see Millwall or Wigan getting more than 15 from their final 10?

Having said that, I reckon we will win 4, draw a couple and lose 5 for a comfortable mid-lower table finish.

With Wolves, Norwich, B'muff and Watford (half the current top 8) to come at home, I think our away form is going to need to be up to scratch. If we can avoid defeat at Reading, Millwall, Rotherham and Wigan I reckon we'll be well safe.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Once relegation is no longer a threat ..surely the emphasis switches to trying to provide some sort of momentum into next season

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With Wolves, Norwich, B'muff and Watford (half the current top 8) to come at home, I think our away form is going to need to be up to scratch. If we can avoid defeat at Reading, Millwall, Rotherham and Wigan I reckon we'll be well safe.

We have a tendancy to beat the top teams, and lose or draw to the teams around us.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I reckon 45 points will be enough this season for safety so 2 wins should be more than enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here