Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Botham/Chappell feud

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I say he learnt at the match, it was either at the match or close to it. I was upset that he didn't seem to want to talk to me and then I later found out that he wasn't in a good place.

Inevitably one of the tabloids wasn't so considerate when they found out about the situation and blasted it across the headlines.

But that's what they do because they are c****
This was years before, I’m thinking around 1977 when I saw him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's regrettably before my cricket time.
I had a membership at Sussex at a young age, myself and some friends went along to as many games as we could during the summer holidays.

Maybe it was this Sunday match as Somerset lost.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I had a membership at Sussex at a young age, myself and some friends went along to as many games as we could during the summer holidays.

Maybe it was this Sunday match as Somerset lost.
How bad is that ? I never knew Roger Knight had played for Sussex. How embarrassed am I. I remember him being spoken of as a replacement for Botham in 1981.

Did you go to the final in 1978 ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
How bad is that ? I never knew Roger Knight had played for Sussex. How embarrassed am I. I remember him being spoken of as a replacement for Botham in 1981.

Did you go to the final in 1978 ?
No I didn’t go to the final, I was allowed to go and watch cricket at Hove but I think Lords was a bit far for someone of my age back then.
We did go to Horsham once to see Sussex play, think it was pot luck that two 12 year olds got from Brighton to Horsham and back on public transport.
That’s the furthest I ever went to watch cricket.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No I didn’t go to the final, I was allowed to go and watch cricket at Hove but I think Lords was a bit far for someone of my age back then.
We did go to Horsham once to see Sussex play, think it was pot luck that two 12 year olds got from Brighton to Horsham and back on public transport.
The famous number 117. Cowfold Seagull would approve.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thanks for the heads up, very enjoyable in a totally trajicomic way.

I do think Chappell comes off slightly worse as I think Botham was willing to put it to bed years ago and even now. Chappell’s animosity to him over nothing really is a bit wierd. I think he probably he is a bit sad and lonely and this gives him something to stay ever so slightly relevant.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I fail to see a comparison between a sporting legend with an 'edge' and a disgusting paedo.

:shrug:
OK, let's compare to Boycott. Great cricketer, did loads for charity but still an abuser of women.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Both men come across poorly in this, Chappell however seems the bigger arsehole.

A drunken incident between a drunk 21 year old and 33 year old is pretty tragic.

Chappell clearly thought he would put the kid in his place and then shat it, when Botham offered him out.
The fact Chappell consistently referred to himself as "not being a fighter" isn't really a defence.
If you decide to confront a drunken lairy 21 year old, things aren't going to end amicably.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A technique he would have learnt from Brian Close
Brave batsman though.

bc1.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports