Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Botham/Chappell feud

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
There are links on Google, particularly in the Australian media, maybe they include the whole program.
I thought Chappell came across as a bitter and twisted old man. I think he chose the wrong person to belittle in 1977.
There must have witness's to the altercation. Why have they never spoken publicly? Who are they afraid off?
Pathetic - Baron Botham is a complete thicko, an obvious liar - and obviously Chappell hold a grudge.

Who do people believe - my gut says Chappell.

Botham has weedled his way into the establishment via that wonderful upstanding chap B. Johnson - case is proven?
There was an article about this in The Times the other day:
I can't be bothered to work around the pay wall, but from memory the various versions of what happened tend to be closer to Botham's version than Chappell's (e.g. nobody else claims he threatened him with a glass).
I think the main reason the other people who were there don't go on about it in public is that nobody apart from Ian Chappell seems to actually care that much.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
For all Botham's achievements as a player, he does come across as a complete arse.
I met him when he played for Somerset against Sussex in Hove, I was only about 12 and he told me and some other kids to F off in the car park after the match…..we only asked him for an autograph.
Complete arse that day.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For all Botham's achievements as a player, he does come across as a complete arse.
He has done some marvellous things on the cricket pitch and for charity but he's turned in to a bit of a loon in the last few years. Maybe he's going to go full le Tiss soon ?

Last edited:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I saw him walk out to bat at Hove for Somerset in a CC match to rapturous applause with the pavilion bar emptying in anticipation

Only to be dismissed first ball from a debutant spinner whose name I can't recall sadly .

You could hear a pin drop as the umpire put his finger up :(

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Good watch that. Two great cricketers, two not so lovely men. Botham was my hero as boy but I know/have heard too many stories about him to consider him that now. Meanwhile Chappelli is a Grade A tosser - utterly self-absorbed, boorish and unloveable.

Their six minutes together is the stuff of pre-teens. Totally pathetic!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good watch that. Two great cricketers, two not so lovely men. Botham was my hero as boy but I know/have heard too many stories about him to consider him that now. Meanwhile Chappelli is a Grade A tosser - utterly self-absorbed, boorish and unloveable.

Their six minutes together is the stuff of pre-teens. Totally pathetic!
Being born Australian gives him a head start on these.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I met him when he played for Somerset against Sussex in Hove, I was only about 12 and he told me and some other kids to F off in the car park after the match…..we only asked him for an autograph.
Complete arse that day.
In fairness to him, that may have been the match at which he had just learned about a very distressing family situation which I won't go into here.

Whenever Somerset came to Hove I always got complimentary tickets from him because one of his best friends was a school teacher of mine. I would have had tickets for the Nat West Final in 1983, but they didn't arrive in time. Still, Botham sent some tickets from the game with the inscription 'to another six hitter, yours in sport, Ian' It was a nice touch.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Met Botham, Viv and big bird Joel Garner in the PavTav one midweek evening in 78. Viv Richard’s had absolutely massive arms and Joel Garner almost had to stoop in the front bar! They were all a laugh.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you remember the year?
1983 Nat West Quarter Final.

I say he learnt at the match, it was either at the match or close to it. I was upset that he didn't seem to want to talk to me and then I later found out that he wasn't in a good place.

Inevitably one of the tabloids wasn't so considerate when they found out about the situation and blasted it across the headlines.

But that's what they do because they are c****

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here