Boston Marathon + all other related incidents UPDATED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Maybe it's because I'm a parent, but what you've written there almost has me in tears just reading it. I've kept out of this thread until now, as I didn't want to wallow in the sadness.

Because of the parallels to my situation as a parent (however tenuous) I feel sympathy and empathy for the people who suffered.

However, I can see the irony of Boston in particular being the scene of a terrible terrorist attack, given their support for the Plucky Oirish freedom fighters in year gone by. i'm still saddened though.

This in spades! Before having kids I would have been a bit sad about what happened but probably quickly moved on. Now with 2 boys aged 4 and 2 everytime I see children getting killed in any shape of form I can't help thinking... what if...which then gets me upset, so hearing that story is hard to take.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not judging anybody, I was merely interested in what makes people tick. Aseros does not have to justify his reasons but I was inquiring as to why he has them as he alluded to a similar event earlier in the thread and wondered if that was some sort of trigger.

It wasnt necessarily pointed at you, but undoubtedly the thread has been driven by what is deemed a reasonable level of sadness that is then scored into some level of compassion and then commented on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What crossed your mind when you read about Sandy Hook? Something must have registered when you read and processed this information even if it was an immediate dismissal...what was it, I'm genuinly curious.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
What crossed your mind when you read about Sandy Hook? Something must have registered when you read and processed this information even if it was an immediate dismissal...what was it, I'm genuinly curious.

Just another shooting in America. I dismissed it.

Children are killed in America ALL THE TIME. This was in a school, but for something I regularly write about on a website I look into a lot of murders throughout the Western World, and there is a lot of them. What makes this case unique is that there were a lot of child killings in one place and the fact it was reported majorly outside of America.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Im not competing. I dont really care what happens in Boston. I have no connection to America and wish the news would give it a rest.

You may have no connection to Boston or America but that is not how the majority of people feel over here. Identification with a very similar culture/set of values/shared history is the key. In the same way I'd probably be more upset if a disaster happened to Brighton fans than if an equally bad disaster happened to fans from wolves for instance.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
ignoring the sadly typical nsc reaction to his event (is there anything you can't turn into a complete binfest?) let's celebrate the good side of humanity which is often highlighted in such circumstances.

Carlos Arredondo, a man with a remarkable and sad story even before his heroics of yesterday.

130416-arredondo2-430a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

look him up and read about him... or continue doing what you always do here... whatever. i, for one, feel better about our species for knowing this man's story.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

9/11 had a massive security op with norad and 7/7 had a massive security op too (drill)......you are very wrong.

I'm at work, so can't see the youtube video - but it's this kind of spurious logic that I find so ridiculous. If the FBI (or any other 'inside' agent) wanted to plant bombs (in the twin towers, at the finish line to the Boston Marathon, wherever) why on earth would they want MORE security? Just explain, in your own words, without a youtube video, why their actions could possibly be assisted by having (presumably out-of-the-loop) security EVERYWHERE?

Far more likely, if there were bomb squads and security everywhere, is that they'd had intelligence that a group was planning an attack but weren't able to shut it down in advance. IF that's the case then there's a question as to whether they should have proceeded with the event (of course we can never really judge that without access to the evidence that the security services had) but that's the worst accusation that could be levelled at them.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
ignoring the sadly typical nsc reaction to his event (is there anything you can't turn into a complete binfest?)

Maybe it is the nature of internet forums but sadly this is the NSC way now and nowhere near what you could call normal debate.

ignoring the sadly typical nsc reaction to his event (is there anything you can't turn into a complete binfest?) let's celebrate the good side of humanity which is often highlighted in such circumstances.

Carlos Arredondo, a man with a remarkable and sad story even before his heroics of yesterday.

130416-arredondo2-430a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

look him up and read about him... or continue doing what you always do here... whatever. i, for one, feel better about our species for knowing this man's story.

Sounds like an inspirational story and human being.

It never ceases to amaze me how some peoples reaction to these type of events is to run towards it to help rather than away to self preserve. I can honestly say I'm not sure which way I would go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports