Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boston Marathon + all other related incidents UPDATED

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
This is looking more like a extreme right wing anti government group.

The day marks the anniversary of the opening of the revolutionary war, it's also federal income tax return day. Media would look more towards Islamic fundamentalists than an anti government nut job.

YouTube

EDIT: first clashes of protest happened in Boston too.

Its too early to say who did this - April 19 is anniversary of Waco & oklahoma bombing but thats 4 days away

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking him in any way, it is not my place to judge others (unless Palace fans). I am just astonished that somebody can be that bereft of emotions.

I actually think it is unhealthy.

Look its not for me to speak for Aresos, but what do you want him to do, he has pointing out that he felt some emotion for incidents he felt close to, seems reasonable but finds it hard to feel the same for an incident he has no association to.

That seems quite reasonable if not a little too honest and frank for some on here.

Personally I feel shocked and uneasy when I see the pictures as I always do when any tragedy happens, but I soon forget as I prepare for my next business meeting, BHA game or a beer with friends, it might be argued it is a shallow compassion.

We very quickly forget our initial emotions if it is not personal to us, its probably better that way.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Its too early to say who did this - April 19 is anniversary of Waco & oklahoma bombing but thats 4 days away

I understand, but its a line of inquiry they some news outlets have been suggesting that are being looked into. If this was an Islamic fundamentalist, I'd have imagine them being jumped upon to announce it was them.

And yes, it is close to the McVeigh incident.

You may want to start with this little piece of disparate rhetoric below for some kind of answer. The two issues, it appears, seem linked...

Not exactly TLO, Aseros has posted how he was directly involved with 7/7 and I wondered if this event has triggered the inability to empathise with others, I wondered if before 7/7 he had a different outlook.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you are genuinely unable to feel sad for what has happened to this family, and others, then yes I think you are odd...

Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, was at the marathon to watch his father race. He was standing near the finish line, waiting to give his father a hug for finishing it. He was 8 years old and in the third grade.

His mother and sister were also critically injured. His mother has had surgery after she sustained a brain injury from the blast. It was reported to be a serious injury. His 6-year-old sister lost her leg in the blast. Her name has not been publicly released at this stage.

The status of his father, William, has not been released publicly.

Maybe it's because I'm a parent, but what you've written there almost has me in tears just reading it. I've kept out of this thread until now, as I didn't want to wallow in the sadness.

Because of the parallels to my situation as a parent (however tenuous) I feel sympathy and empathy for the people who suffered.

However, I can see the irony of Boston in particular being the scene of a terrible terrorist attack, given their support for the Plucky Oirish freedom fighters in year gone by. i'm still saddened though.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Biggest earthquake has struck south-east Iran. 40 people killed so far.

All these people just trying to get on with their day....... No thread on this though!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Biggest earthquake has struck south-east Iran. 40 people killed so far.

All these people just trying to get on with their day....... No thread on this though!

Give it a rest, its not about competing whats worse or why people only want to talk about Boston when all these other tradigies are happening over the world.

I'm pretty sure you have made your point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Generally I am not a fan of mass grieving aka Diana anyway, why anyone would take their children or themselves to an un-associated celebrity ( irrespective of its validity ) and cry and feel bereft I do not know.
This was going to be my next path for discussion.
The apparent 'need' for people to feel the grief of others seems odd to me, I sympathise, I empathise, let's be honest I think 'thank god that wasn't me or my own', but I just don't understand the need to be a griefmonger.
There's a black armband campaign for The London Marathon.

Trying to move on from one muppet to another, there's a pic on that linked site of about 50 people helping 20 injured and there's one fat bint in brow stood right in the middle filming things on her mobile. The only person in the whole photo not injured or assisting :facepalm:
Or the desperate need to validate myself by twitter hits.

To be fair, if you're not medically qualified in some way, you could just get in the way of those who are. By filming, it may be useful for the investigations at a later stage, for evidence.
Hand on heart, do you believe that was what was happening here?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I understand, but its a line of inquiry they some news outlets have been suggesting that are being looked into. If this was an Islamic fundamentalist, I'd have imagine them being jumped upon to announce it was them.

And yes, it is close to the McVeigh incident.

Agree - I think you are right though especially with it being Tax day too - we will see

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The only person in the whole photo not injured or assisting :facepalm:

And you know about this phenomenon because somebody took a photo of her doing this instead of helping out. People taking photos and filming are documenting the event and providing a record of it. They may not have put thought into it, but it is the world learns about events and records them for future generations. How is this woman any different to the person who took the picture you saw her in?

Great work on the giving blood and people giving rooms for people to stay.

The blood bank have announced they have plenty of look now, but would appreciate donations in a few weeks.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Give it a rest, its not about competing whats worse or why people only want to talk about Boston when all these other tradigies are happening over the world.

I'm pretty sure you have made your point.

Im not competing. I dont really care what happens in Boston. I have no connection to America and wish the news would give it a rest.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Im not competing. I dont really care what happens in Boston. I have no connection to America and wish the news would give it a rest.

If you dont like it dont watch it, if you are talking about papers and webistes, you have the choice to avoid it, this is not the 1970's, modern media is totally in your control, so if you dont like it, avoid it.

and leave others to discuss if they want to.

In my opinion a terrorist attack will impact everyone in this country a lot more than one in Iraq, unless a family memeber or loved one is involved. it could have a huge impact on going to war/impacts on the econemy etc

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
If you dont like it dont watch it, if you are talking about papers and webistes, you have the choice to avoid it, this is not the 1970's, modern media is totally in your control, so if you dont like it, avoid it.

and leave others to discuss if they want to.

In my opinion a terrorist attack will impact everyone in this country a lot more than one in Iraq, unless a family memeber or loved one is involved. it could have a huge impact on going to war/impacts on the econemy etc

I listen to the radio at work every day. I know it my choice to turn it off.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

So theres been a terrorist attack and you think the news should "give it a rest" - you tell that to the families of the 3 dead and 140 injured.

Oh, and BOTH the Boston Explosions and Iran Earthquake are the main stories on the BBC Homepage.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Scary sounding stuff (explosions) at Boston Marathon

I felt sadness for the London bombings as I was there at the time and helped a few people. However, I am sadly unable to feel sad for people on the other side of the globe. I presume that makes me odd? It's just very difficult for me to form a connection with people I don't know.

Have you ever been outside of England?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So theres been a terrorist attack and you think the news should "give it a rest" - you tell that to the families of the 3 dead and 140 injured.

Oh, and BOTH the Boston Explosions and Iran Earthquake are the main stories on the BBC Homepage.[/QUOTE]

That may well be true, but it seems only the lesser of the two tragedies are we being judged on what might be an acceptable level of grieving.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh

Oh, and BOTH the Boston Explosions and Iran Earthquake are the main stories on the BBC Homepage.

I dont, but would it be a problem if I did?

That may well be true, but it seems only the lesser of the two tragedies are we being judged on what might be an acceptable level of grieving.

I'm not judging anybody, I was merely interested in what makes people tick. Aseros does not have to justify his reasons but I was inquiring as to why he has them as he alluded to a similar event earlier in the thread and wondered if that was some sort of trigger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here