Boston Marathon + all other related incidents UPDATED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I felt sadness for the London bombings as I was there at the time and helped a few people. However, I am sadly unable to feel sad for people on the other side of the globe. .

So you've seen it first hand (which I imagine was terrible) and you still can't feel sorry for a similar situation elsewhere?

I'm stumped. I'll be honest. I'll have to leave it there.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
In all seriousness, yes, I think it does. Do you not feel a single bit of compassion towards the family, not at all?

Sadly, no.

The only 'major' events in recent years I felt compassion for where the victims of the London bombings (as I mentioned above) and the Norwegian Shootings. In that case my best friend's boyfriend was on the island (he wasn't harmed) and thus I felt the connection there. Apart from that, nothing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I felt sadness for the London bombings as I was there at the time and helped a few people. However, I am sadly unable to feel sad for people on the other side of the globe. I presume that makes me odd? It's just very difficult for me to form a connection with people I don't know.

If you are genuinely unable to feel sad for what has happened to this family, and others, then yes I think you are odd...

Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, was at the marathon to watch his father race. He was standing near the finish line, waiting to give his father a hug for finishing it. He was 8 years old and in the third grade.

His mother and sister were also critically injured. His mother has had surgery after she sustained a brain injury from the blast. It was reported to be a serious injury. His 6-year-old sister lost her leg in the blast. Her name has not been publicly released at this stage.

The status of his father, William, has not been released publicly.

Sadly, no.

The only 'major' events in recent years I felt compassion for where the victims of the London bombings (as I mentioned above) and the Norwegian Shootings. In that case my best friend's boyfriend was on the island (he wasn't harmed) and thus I felt the connection there. Apart from that, nothing.

I don't mean this in the nasty way, but I feel pity for you. To feel compassion for and be able to sympathise with others is a basic human nature.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I for one feel a DEEP sadness and have utmost sympathy for the parents and other family of this child who will right now be struggling to comprehend what has happened.

I tend to always get this feeling when hearing of the loss of people in terrorist attacks, maybe I'm odd.

I felt sadness for the London bombings as I was there at the time and helped a few people. However, I am sadly unable to feel sad for people on the other side of the globe. I presume that makes me odd? It's just very difficult for me to form a connection with people I don't know.

There is clearly no right or wrong answer - we are all different.

We are all affected by what we see or hear in the media. Three people died at Marathons over the past few days - one happened in our own city, two on the other side of the world but who are we supposed to feel more sympathy for? If we feel more sympathy for one does that mean we valued that life more than the other? Or it is just because one happened to be more tangible because it was on TV?

I'll say it again, you cannot try and rationalise or measure human emotion. Aseros is well within his rights to not feel sympathy, it might seem harsh but it is what it is and it's personal to him, just as Hillian might consider the human and family aspect a bit more. Nobody is right, wrong or wierd.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sadly, no.

So what is your need to keep repeatedly broadcasting that you don't care?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you are genuinely unable to feel sad for what has happened to this family, and others, then yes I think you are odd...

Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, was at the marathon to watch his father race. He was standing near the finish line, waiting to give his father a hug for finishing it. He was 8 years old and in the third grade.

His mother and sister were also critically injured. His mother has had surgery after she sustained a brain injury from the blast. It was reported to be a serious injury. His 6-year-old sister lost her leg in the blast. Her name has not been publicly released at this stage.

The status of his father, William, has not been released publicly.

This truly is horrific. It makes all our little personal seem like nothing. It can be a terrible terrible world sometimes.

Sadly, no.

Not a shred of emotion on hearing about Sandy Hook?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
This is looking more like a extreme right wing anti government group.

The day marks the anniversary of the opening of the revolutionary war, it's also federal income tax return day. Media would look more towards Islamic fundamentalists than an anti government nut job.

YouTube

EDIT: first clashes of protest happened in Boston too.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am gonna give Aseros a wee bit of support here, just putting my tin helmet on

Look I think it was an horrific attack and yes I acknowledge the associate heartache, but we dont carry too much of other peoples grief around do we, should we, can we ???

Generally I am not a fan of mass grieving aka Diana anyway, why anyone would take their children or themselves to an un-associated celebrity ( irrespective of its validity ) and cry and feel bereft I do not know.

Maybe Aresos can process the incident and it's personifications and quickly resolve his feelings, seems fair enough for me.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Trying to move on from one muppet to another, there's a pic on that linked site of about 50 people helping 20 injured and there's one fat bint in brow stood right in the middle filming things on her mobile. The only person in the whole photo not injured or assisting :facepalm:

Great work on the giving blood and people giving rooms for people to stay. Again it shows the vast majority of people are amazing and some numpty ruins it for everyone. Just like the Millwall incident, just like many NSC threads.

Look I think it was an horrific attack and yes I acknowledge the associate heartache, but we dont carry too much of other peoples grief around do we, should we, can we ???

Generally I am not a fan of mass grieving aka Diana anyway, why anyone would take their children or themselves to an un-associated celebrity ( irrespective of its validity ) and cry and feel bereft I do not know.

Maybe Aresos can process the incident and it's personifications and quickly resolve his feelings, seems fair enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking him in any way, it is not my place to judge others (unless Palace fans). I am just astonished that somebody can be that bereft of emotions.

I actually think it is unhealthy.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Every one deals with these events differently - I did feel sympathy for the innocent people involved for a while afterwards - but I'm 56 and remember countless atrocities carried out around the world. This will not be the last bombing and could be the start of many more.

By the way I've only loaned you my helmet [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION]???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Trying to move on from one muppet to another, there's a pic on that linked site of about 50 people helping 20 injured and there's one fat bint in brow stood right in the middle filming things on her mobile. The only person in the whole photo not injured or assisting :facepalm:

Great work on the giving blood and people giving rooms for people to stay. Again it shows the vast majority of people are amazing and some numpty ruins it for everyone. Just like the Millwall incident, just like many NSC threads.

To be fair, if you're not medically qualified in some way, you could just get in the way of those who are. By filming, it may be useful for the investigations at a later stage, for evidence.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Could I ask what event has triggered this, was it 7/7?

You may want to start with this little piece of disparate rhetoric below for some kind of answer. The two issues, it appears, seem linked...

No sympathy for Boston. They openly supported the IRA and ultimately that lead to the death of British troops as well as countless innocent people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports