Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Born again early leaver

D

Deleted User X18H

No it's not relative at all Timmy.

I have never once, not ever, had to queue for a train and then not be able to get on one because it's full after going to the cinema.
Well I have . Brighton to Aldrington Halt (as it was then) in around 1986, after Restless Natives . I think it was Nanette Newman's appearance that did it. Queues went down the old Trafalgar Street entrance (still not reopened I see) all the way to the ABC !!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
With 5 minutes to go, a guy in a Liverpool FC t shirt with his partner left and I shouted ''5 minutes to go''. His friend grinned, he carried on towards the exit unsmiling and I thought.......................................................................................
We can do without absolute tw*ts like him, just stay away for good and don't come back.

Really? How much money would that cost the club?

D

Deleted User X18H

I bet some early's have got up from the operating table prior to being stitched up, because the X Factor is on.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
We used to run to the station at full time, then about two years ago i thought this was mad, so we do the same. We get a drink and wait until about 5:30ish. Yesterday we brought six Charlton fans with us and they all agreed that leaving later had made the travelling easier compared to previous years.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
This old chestnut again. Trouble is the stay to the Enders whatever tend to get sanctimonious about it.

I live near Bristol, takes 5-6 hours round trip to get to Mill Road. If I get first buses back, home about 1930, if stay to end have to get second wave of buses and home about 2030. I leave on 90 mins, saw Dunk's goal on the TV on concourse, only second goal I have missed live in three and a bit seasons. I don't like it, would prefer to see all the match but do have reason to leave early, as do many others. Have a thought for us.

Not having a dig, as it was an early leaver, but what does it matter on a Saturday night between getting home at 7:30 or 8:30. You say its a 5/6 hour round trip in the first place, so you are already taking the day up. I get home an hour later now that I stay until the end and I have not missed anything by getting home an hour later. Sorry I have missed one thing, the stress of looking at the clock and thinking I need to get out and beat all the other early leavers to the car so that I can beat the queues, then realising this season that the only difference for me is that I am not stressing myself out and it's making no difference to my evening getting home that hour later.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
People here in the Prostate Stand were leaving after that corner was given, but not yet taken!!

What absolute tunnocks!

What was clearly evident was that the West and North were indeed emptying at a similar rate of knots. Personally not bothered either way, you pays yer money and makes yer choice. We stayed and got out pretty quickly must say.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Wrong I'm afraid. Left just after final whistle from WSL (through the North Stand exit) and walked straight onto the platform. Same as last time. No queue anywhere on the bridge or ramp.

How about the next home game we meet up after the final whistle and you can show me how you manage to walk straight onto the platform without queuing. My experience over the last few season being an early leaver is that people start running from the station from about 85 mins onwards and I would be very surprised if you could leave on the final whistle and walk straight onto the platform. Maybe some early leavers this season could shed some light as to how quick the station fills up before the final whistle. I am more then happy for you to prove me wrong next home match.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The other important point is that when Charlton went 2-1 up, we needed the crowd to get right behind the team again. Instead, the early leavers started drifting away and the whole atmosphere was lost. It was like we'd shrugged our collective shoulders and given up. Fortunately, the players didn't take the same view.

Yesterday was the busiest it has been on the eastbound trains, but from the top of the WSU and being some of the last to leave the stadium, we got a seat at the front of the 1720 Seaford train after a 12 minute queue. Not having a stupid direct train back for Charlton fans helped - hopefully they have realised this is unnecessary and messes up the service.

PG

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
We leave our seats on 90 minutes (row Z) and 'seat squat' by the exit until the final whistle. Our journey back to London is worth a 35-minute delay if it means we see the whole game. I guess it's a personal thing that I can't criticise... particularly when there would be nowhere to 'squat' if no one left early. :angel:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The problem started when, during the first season an announcement was made about a limited train service for an evening cup match or pre-season frriendly (no extra trains running)

Thsi prompted a lot to leave early to avoid having to queue up for a longer than normal (30 mins max) but it put the thoughts into peoples head that they need to leave early otherwise they will have to wait a long time to get away. Others would then post about their 'bad experienec' and 'how terrible the transport arrangements are' which led to more following the early leavers example and going early.

The thing is that the transport links away are very good, and even if you stay to the end, it doesn't take a stupid amount of time to depart via public transport but people have been persueded into the mindset that they do or they can't get home at a decent time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There is a chap in front of me in the WSU, Seagull tattoo on the back of his neck, in the shirt, more Albion tattoos on his arms, gets up and goes at 85 mins every game. I don't understand.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
"Ozzy" and whoever he brings, different almost every game, who sits next to me leaves on 80ish minutes every game. His personal best is leaving after 18mins.

His prerogative, and it means I have room to pace around in the crucial last minutes.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Kind of a statement of the bleeding obvious, but glad you've seen the light. Spread the word. Goals in the 88th and after minute count the same as those in the preceding 87 mins..........
I thought injury time goals count double !!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't get this argument.

When you go to the cinema there aren't 25,000 others all heading to the same train station.

Personally, I don't care what time people leave, they've paid their money and can do what they want, my only gripe is that they don't then stand at the vomitry impeeding my view which has happened.

So everyone leaves via the train now? nice scaremongering

When at its busiest, i can't remember having to wait more than 30 minutes for a train and that was after i had stayed to the end of the match and then walked form the south end of the WSU. - there just isn't the need to leave early due to the myth of the train service being appalling after a match imo.

If people want to leave for whatever reason, thats their choice and they don't have to justify it to me, but i wish those that do didn't spout such rubbish about the transport away being really bad when it isn't which then puts other off from staying until the end when there isn't really a problem.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
I am a new early leaver this season so would be someone not welcome back or should be shot by a sniper according to some. However I would like to add that I might be able to stay to the end if our supporters showed more respect for each other!

This season I've decided that rather than get barged out the way as I try to leave and then have to join the mass scramble to the p&r only to have considerably bigger blokes than me or the kids barge through us to get 3 places ahead and then have to stand on the stairs for anything up to 30 minutes longer, causing me considerable pain, I will leave at around 88-90 minutes .. With my walking stick that seems to be totally invisible to far too many.

Having started to leave early this year I can tell you that a large number of those doing the same are people who are unsteady on their feet, elderly, with young kids, disabled and so on. Last week I left at 90 minutes and watched the end of the game downstairs .. As soon as the final whistle went I was swarmed by people barging past without a thought for their fellow supporters and struggled badly. Yesterday I decided to leave slightly earlier to avoid this and still witnessed people barging past wheelchairs and failing to make way for them. Leaving the family stand where you'd think people would be more considerate it amazes me how many barge between parents and young kids to get out ahead of them without any consideration or courtesy whatsoever and I'm surprised that nobody has got hurt on the stairs yet with people behind trying to push forward despite elderly with sticks or young kids trying to get down the steps.

At present I am driven to each game by family who aren't able to stay after the game and have to get back due to other commitments so the option to hang around for a drink afterwards isn't open to me, walking at my speed means I'm queuing for a length of time that leaves me in severe pain and trying to get to the queue at the speed I'd need to means I'm being barged out of the way by everybody else.

So this leaves me three options .. I don't come to the football, I try and find somebody else who can come with me and claim a companion ticket from the club costing them about £450 a season, or I leave 3 or 4 minutes before the final whistle on average and risk the sniper attack that should be the penalty for doing so.

I've heard a few mumblings as I've left this year from the same supporters who happily, and often dangerously, barge their way to get further up the queues at the end and all I can say is maybe a few more should stop worrying about my behaviour and start looking at your own! I'd love to stay to the end for every game and have done for the last 35 years. I hated hearing the roar of a goal from outside yesterday. But I'm no longer willing to face the lack of respect, courtesy or consideration from other supporters or the pain it will cause if I do. Yes some leave early for reasons that others wouldn't think good enough but its their choice and their loss .. A large number are because they really don't have an option for whatever reason. In an ideal world those that are "true" supporters would stop worrying so much about what anyone else does and proving how much better they are and just get on with watching the game!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why have a go at early leavers? If everybody stayed until the whistle then everything would be gridlocked. The club has asked fans to stagger their arrival and departure times for this reason.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I left at full time yesterday and walked to the station and got the 2nd train.
The week before I stayed back and has a couple in dicks and then got the train.
The week before I left 4 mins early as I had to get back to look after kids, it was either miss the end or not go at all. I went and spent my money at the Albion.

Conclusion

Who REALLY cares when other people leave? ****ing hell get a life!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here