Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson, the new UK Prime Minister

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I haven’t found it. It’s has been around for several years supporting bitcoin, not an application that interests me. My interest is the impact it is making in the world of trade finance and in particular, inefficiencies at borders. If that does not interest you then fine but just because you haven’t heard of something does not mean it does not exist.
Be as belligerent as you like, I’m afraid you are just parading your own ignorance when you would be better served seeking to find out how the world is changing outside your own bubble.

Eh? What a bizarre post. The point is whether this technology can be put in place by the end of October of this year or not. You said you knew the solution, but it seems all you know is what everyone else already knows. The tech exists, but it can't be put in place in time.

That's literally all that matters, no one is denying that such technology exists.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So you're saying it can be fully implemented and put in place by end October of this year?

That's the issue that needs solving.

I’m discussing the technology with you. I very much doubt that it can be fully implemented by October. When I joined this discussion I did say that the dragging of feet by the May Government has made the finding of solutions very difficult. I do not have a lot of faith in Boris either. My preference would be for the Government to at least initiate the process. I don’t have all the answers but just thought people might be interested in the technological way forward. Unlike you I am not interested in ‘winning’ the argument, just contributing to the debate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m discussing the technology with you. I very much doubt that it can be fully implemented by October. When I joined this discussion I did say that the dragging of feet by the May Government has made the finding of solutions very difficult. I do not have a lot of faith in Boris either. My preference would be for the Government to at least initiate the process. I don’t have all the answers but just thought people might be interested in the technological way forward. Unlike you I am not interested in ‘winning’ the argument, just contributing to the debate.

You said there was a solution. I took that to mean to the issue of the backstop for end October 2019.

Apologies, it appears I misunderstood.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are solutions to be found by a Government that is interested in looking. I did comment earlier that our politicians seem proud of their ignorance.

Whilst we can accept that there are new technologies that can help with financial transactions, and the like, can you explain how these blockchains and their mates are going to check the contents of lorries, carry out veterinary inspections, cross check documents to confirm the identity of passengers, or see that transported goods conform to tens of thousands of EU standards.? :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whilst we can accept that there are new technologies that can help with financial transactions, and the like, can you explain how these blockchains and their mates are going to check the contents of lorries, carry out veterinary inspections, cross check documents to confirm the identity of passengers, or see that transported goods conform to tens of thousands of EU standards.? :shrug:

As I’m sure you know, not every border crossing needs to be checked. Quite an interesting academic discussion here if you are interested. I merely added Blockchain to the discussion because it has the potential to answer Dr Holmes’ point that it is a significant problem that checks are needed to verify that paperwork and substantive compliance are in order.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/596828/IPOL_STU(2017)596828_EN.pdf

https://www.governmenteuropa.eu/smart-border-2-0-solving-border/91512/

https://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/uktpo/20...ment-will-not-solve-the-irish-border-problem/

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just hope Boris got those 1,000,000 - 1 against odds at the bookies for the UK leaving the EU without a deal. If it put a large bet down, he could ensure that everyone got a tax cut to offset the tariffs that will push prices up everywhere.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, I thought you might be interested as you work in IT.
Clearly not. I will leave you to your cheerleading.

If I wanted to discuss emerging technologies and their future use, I would probably start an 'emerging technologies and their future use thread'.

If I posted about them as a solution to the NI/Ireland border issues on a Brexit thread, then I would expect to be asked how they would resolve the NI/Ireland border issues such as how to check contents of lorries, how to apply and and charge relevant tariffs, how to check whether they were within quotas, whether they conform to relevant standards etc etc.

I might even expect to be asked 'and this can all be put in place by October 31st, when it's required, can it ?'

But maybe that's just me 'cheerleading' and not believing enough :facepalm:

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If I wanted to discuss emerging technologies and their future use, I would probably start an 'emerging technologies and their future use thread'.

If I posted about them as a solution to the NI/Ireland border issues on a Brexit thread, then I would expect to be asked how they would resolve the NI/Ireland border issues such as how to check contents of lorries, How to apply and and charge relevant tariffs, how to check whether they were within quotas, whether they conform to relevant standards etc etc

But maybe that's just me 'cheerleading' and not believing enough :facepalm:

See post 707.
It’s a technical discussion that’s being conducted at EU level. It just didn’t happen in your front room so you will have missed it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So presumably this technology (if/when) it comes available would have to be installed at every possible crossing point from the Republic to Northern Ireland?

Do you know how many crossing points there are? Somewhere around 300!

Not a very practical solution really. And if you don't have the technology at every crossing point you can't stop goods being smuggled in order to avoid tariffs.

The British Army couldn't guard all those crossings which is how arms and explosives went from one side to t'other.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
See post 707.
It’s a technical discussion that’s being conducted at EU level. It just didn’t happen in your front room so you will have missed it.

As I’m sure you know, not every border crossing needs to be checked. Quite an interesting academic discussion here if you are interested. I merely added Blockchain to the discussion because it has the potential to answer Dr Holmes’ point that it is a significant problem that checks are needed to verify that paperwork and substantive compliance are in order.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/596828/IPOL_STU(2017)596828_EN.pdf

https://www.governmenteuropa.eu/smart-border-2-0-solving-border/91512/

https://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/uktpo/20...ment-will-not-solve-the-irish-border-problem/

Well when you have finished your 'Quite interesting academic discussion' and have managed to implement a commercial application on any international border in the world, give us a shout :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So presumably this technology (if/when) it comes available would have to be installed at every possible crossing point from the Republic to Northern Ireland?

Not a very practical solution really. And if you don't have the technology at every crossing point you can't stop goods being smuggled in order to avoid tariffs.

The British Army couldn't guard all those crossings which is how arms and explosives went from one side to t'other.

You can’t stop goods being smuggled at all. All anyone needs to do is walk/drive across a field.That was the case in pre EU days and is true now. The EU do not require a wall built across every field. The trusted trader scheme is a proposal(amongst others in the papers in post 707) to address your point.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Has anyone asked Nicola Sturgeon what her plans are for the Scottish Border? She presumably has a plan, as she's seen the problems it creates in Ireland, but is still pushing on with wanting devolution and entry for Scotland into teh EU, so surely she has thought about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Johnson getting a nice warm welcome from the Jocks, stood there looking quite shocked. No wonder Big Ruth doesn't want anything to do with him and I wonder if Johnson can cope when he realises how hated he is throughout the country by the vast majority and the only ones who like him are a few headbanging loons

He looked quite shocked at the hail of abuse that rained down on him as he left his house the morning after the referendum, when the result was known. Under all his bluff and bluster, he is someone who likes to be liked. Its why he CONSTANTLY spouts so much unsubstantiated bollocks and bullshit - its all tailored to whatever he thinks his present audience wants to hear. He is the worst kind of lying tory filth.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Johnson getting a nice warm welcome from the Jocks, stood there looking quite shocked. No wonder Big Ruth doesn't want anything to do with him and I wonder if Johnson can cope when he realises how hated he is throughout the country by the vast majority and the only ones who like him are a few headbanging loons

I think that (some of) the Brexit side over-exaggerated the consequences of non-delivery of Brexit in terms of the public's lack of faith in the political system and implied civil disorder. (I'm not denying that they had a point.) But what hasn't really been flagged up are the consequences of a crash-out- no-deal-Brexit. Obviously it will be calamitous economically - but politically? It won't just the jocks who will be less than happy. I wonder if planning for this falls within the remit of Michael stab-in-the-back Gove?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, pesky academics.Apologies for trying to have an intelligent discussion on NSC. You go back to point scoring.

I have always had the greatest of respect for academics and have always shown great interest when they have something to say significant to the issue in hand :)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He looked quite shocked at the hail of abuse that rained down on him as he left his house the morning after the referendum, when the result was known. Under all his bluff and bluster, he is someone who likes to be liked. Its why he CONSTANTLY spouts so much unsubstantiated bollocks and bullshit - its all tailored to whatever he thinks his present audience wants to hear. He is the worst kind of lying tory filth.

I find it hard to believe that every person can't see right through him for what he is, it's totally baffling, his record and personal life stinks.
Also, have you seen his face when he is asked a question that really catches him out, he doesn't answer of course but his eyes narrow and he sinks into his chair, a very flaky and dangerous man.
And what with Gove and Mogg on the front bench with him makes it very strange times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here