Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson, the new UK Prime Minister

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
your talking about the focus on a leader, thats populist or fat egoist, its not fascist. there more that ideology including authoritian, protectionism, state control of economy. right now he's promising a lot to a lot of different groups (populist), i dont see any of those fascist policies evident. point noted on suspending parliament, that would definatly be a massively negative mark against him.

OK, I accept your point that populism probably describes his approach most accurately. The point I was trying to make is that this is very different from the approach which says we have these problems to solve, we have these solutions and you should support us if you believe in what we are trying to do. We are moving towards a different type of politics and I am concerned that the old argument that the UK was immune to the attractions of extremism (including fascism) apply any more.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I tend to be very reluctant to use the word fascist and certainly never used it to describe Thatcher who I strongly proposed. However I am seeing things in Johnson’s approach that fit the label. He has endeavoured to split the UK into moaners/pessimists and believers. This is a very clear ‘us and them’ divisive step and he is inviting people to join him as a believer. However no attempt is made to present any firm reasons why people should believe just extremely vague appeals to nativism, some almost mystical national character and his qualities as a leader. This will be backed up by some headline-inducing schemes, vanity projects but policy on key day-to-day issues will remain vague. It will always be about blind faith and belief in his powers as a leader. This to me is much closer to fascism than I have ever seen in this country in my lifetime.
Here here

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The government's job is it divide and conquer, it's doing a pretty good job.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hysteria is alive and well on NSC.
Has a few days of heat affected the mental health of some?
Oh for the footy season to start and hopefully bring us all together as one big happy family!:clap:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Best you stop trying to condescend, you can’t do it very well.

And yes.

that's not condescending toots.

and so you never heard thatch described as a fascist, astounding.
you must've moved in some rarefied circles......
(or were despeate to, then it all went wrong and you got transported)

word to the wise, try to make some friends out there, your time will pass far more agreeably

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is what will happen. Johnson will agree to the original withdrawal deal that created a border in the Irish Sea, allowing trade between NI and the Republic.

The DUP and ERG will reject it, government loses a vote of confidence as No Deal looms.

Johnson calls a GE on the back of his deal and gets an increased majority as Brexit Party voters return & Labour still arguing with itself.

Johnson then gets new Parliament to ratify deal and we all live happily ever after, albeit a bit poorer.
er, I posted that a few weeks ago. Except he will call a ref in NI.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hysteria is alive and well on NSC.
Has a few days of heat affected the mental health of some?
Oh for the footy season to start and hopefully bring us all together as one big happy family!:clap:

Fat chance.
That doesn't even happen on the match day thread.
But you are right about being a family, at each others throats most of the time and ruining Christmas.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
By any stretch, that is an appalling post, Raleigh Chopper.:ohmy::facepalm:

Maybe, but the constant crap from the same people time and time again makes my piss boil.
If they want to dish it out, they must take it back.
I can handle it, it doesn't bother me and neither should it.
It's only a few, and I will admit I occasionally go too far, but in the main there are very good posters on here.
But I will always meet ignorance with the distain it deserves, if people want to call me out it's fine, it's all about opinions.
For the record, I am neither left or right, Labour or Tory, I have a clear and open vision regarding politics, at the moment they are all totally pissing me off and it's only getting worse as every week goes by.
But it's only my opinion.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Apparently William Rees Mogg has issued his staff with a list of words and phrases that he doesn't like to see. A bit picky and perhaps not the best use of his time but no big deal. I wonder though if he might care to drop a note to his boss and ask him to stop using the meaningless term 'turbocharge' . Both Johnson and Hunt used it in their campaigns and it seems to have crept into the language of politics. Of course there are many things about our PM that can annoy folk rather more than this, but in my view it's worth adding to the list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here