Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson, the new UK Prime Minister

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, so I think Brexit isn’t the end goal for Rees Mogg, Baker, Francois and the other collection of recently elevated public school loons.

The end goal is colossal deregulation. shrinkage of the state, environmental protections, workers rights etc. Thatcherism plus

Spot on. Brexit is a means to an end. There have always been genuine sovereignty arguments tro be made for Brexit but I do not think for a moment that this lot believe their own bollocks about 'freedom' and appeals to patriotism and all the anti-immigration rehtoric (free marketeers love immigration when combined with low workers rights and low regulation - keeps labour costs down).

They just knew these lies were the best way to get what they really really want.

And in addition to what you've said, I'd add cuddling up to (by which I mean becoming a captured state of) Trump's US of A.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on. Brexit is a means to an end. There have always been genuine sovereignty arguments tro be made for Brexit but I do not think for a moment that this lot believe their own bollocks about 'freedom' and appeals to patriotism and all the anti-immigration rehtoric (free marketeers love immigration when combined with low workers rights and low regulation - keeps labour costs down).

They just knew these lies were the best way to get what they really really want.

And in addition to what you've said, I'd add cuddling up to (by which I mean becoming a captured state of) Trump's US of A.

Last year a proposal was put to the government to legislate against immigrant workers being unable to undercut wages, and it was turned down. I wonder why?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I've been saying the same for a few years, out of the EU is a means to an end.

If anyone thinks this is a return to Thatcherism they are in a for a shock.

They want

1) A much smaller state
2) Reform/removal of H&S rules
3) Longer working hours
4) Cheap lower quality food from abroad
5) A UK tax haven
6) Expensive vanity infrastructure projects built by cheap labour from abroad

Also expect some alliances with some very dodgy foreign regimes.

But it won't happen.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Three points though

The Brexit Party – It’s not clear how they will respond to the new PM and cabinet. I guess they will only stand in seats where the Tory MP isn’t a no dealer. But that means a splitting the leave vote and that means previously unwinnable seats maybe be up for Labour or someone else the grab

Fixed Term Parliament Act - A lot of Tory MP’s and some Labour as well, will be too worried about losing their seats and won’t back it. It needs two thirds of MP’s and getting that is not guaranteed. Neither party has strong discipline at the moment.

Corbyn beat expectations at the last election, so don’t totally write him off. It will be harder for him to do it again, now he’s alienated his support base, though if it’s him v Johnson, they’ll jump back on board.

I agree, it's about raising morale before the battle. I sense a general election is looming and an energised Tory party will demolish Labour under the dreadful stewardship of Corbyn.

Corbyn is why the Tories are in power and will remain in power. It's a shame, because an energetic and charismatic Labour leader would steam roll the Tories. Instead, we have Corbyn....about as inspiring as magnolia paint.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You missed out scrapping environmental commitments in the UK and to the rest of the world

I've been saying the same for a few years, out of the EU is a means to an end.

If anyone thinks this is a return to Thatcherism they are in a for a shock.

They want

1) A much smaller state
2) Reform/removal of H&S rules
3) Longer working hours
4) Cheap lower quality food from abroad
5) A UK tax haven
6) Expensive vanity infrastructure projects built by cheap labour from abroad

Also expect some alliances with some very dodgy foreign regimes.

But it won't happen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I disagree, I think your dislike of Johnson (and there is plenty to dislike) is governing your opinion. Boris' performance has not been 'embarrassing' and neither was Corbyn's. One performed a LOT better than the other though.

The look Hilary Benn gave BoJo when he tried to bluster his way through HB's question was one of pure disgust and a moment to treasure :lolol:

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
"Labour’s Clive Efford says the leave campaign wanted to restore parliamentary sovereignty. So why has Johnson hired an adviser, Dominic Cummings, found in contempt of parliament.

Johnson ignores the question and says it is a disgrace Labour wants to reverse the referendum result." :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
At least PMQs will be interesting as I thought Boris was very entertaining....deranged but entertaining.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I always find it hard to listen to a person like Boris who, on one hand, wants to laud the achievements of the Conservative party and tell us how well the country is doing, how many people are employed, how business is booming, how wages are increasing and on the other hand can stand there and say we should leave the EU because somehow it'll be even more wonderful if we leave.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I always find it hard to listen to a person like Boris who, on one hand, wants to laud the achievements of the Conservative party and tell us how well the country is doing, how many people are employed, how business is booming, how wages are increasing and on the other hand can stand there and say we should leave the EU because somehow it'll be even more wonderful if we leave.

Jezza's on the leave bus too. It's only the wishy-washy yellows staying put.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you missed it and want to see the PM in action... here you go...

So basically just getting his rabid pack of stooges behind him to be more raucous than ever, not bothering to answer a question and just shouting in general?

Great, looking forward to that for the next (insert the length of time he holds onto his job before his heart gives out).

It's literally like he's been to the Trump school of politics.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
"Johnson refuses to admit he was wrong to blame EU for kipper packaging rules
The SNP’s Stephen Gethins asks Johnson to accept that he was wrong to say kipper packaging rules are made by the EU.

Johnson says it is extraordinary that the SNP has decided to respond to the issue of fish, given that their policy would keep Scotland in the common fisheries policy."

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am not one of Boris's greatest fans, but he has certainly started with some gusto. Something that has been missing from frontline politics for some time now.
Let us see whether he can translate rhetoric into results.
Still, it has been quite fun to see the usual suspects getting wound up, indignant and hot under the collar here!:wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

Would you be involved in the war on the street Mouldy?

I am not someone who likes to demonstrate as I feel you just winding yourself up, so I like to get on with life.
However, when there has been a decision made democratically and 3 years down the line you have the doom-mongers still banging their drum of not accepting it, It will turn me and lots of democratic voters to new heights of animal Instincts.
This is exactly why your Coopers, Lucas's, Chuka's, and that horrible lib dem leader Swinson need to support the result and not keep causing trouble and let it go.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am not one of Boris's greatest fans, but he has certainly started with some gusto. Something that has been missing from frontline politics for some time now.
Let us see whether he can translate rhetoric into results.
Still, it has been quite fun to see the usual suspects getting wound up, indignant and hot under the collar here!:wink:

Gusto, a hard right cabinet way to the right of himself, a majority of two and 40 Tories ready to rebel.

Not sure if you know how our system works, but that leaves him very little room to do anything.

Like a lot of what Boris says, it's all fantasy land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here