Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Following the science
New variant now shooting up in all areas of England
Not a National Lockdown as the Isles of Scilly remain in tier 1 (but closed to non residents)
We're doing a really great job on rolling the vaccine out
Without Brexit we wouldn't be in such a strong position on vaccines
I don't really want to do any of this, but we need to get the R rate down
Their are no problems in extending the period between the two vaccine jabs
I known the whole country is behind us in fighting this virus and I'm sure that by Easter we will all be hugging loved ones
Really concerned about South African variant which is why we need to take this action that I didn't want to do
Schools are still safe but we must wherever possible restrict contact and therefore reduce the spread of the virus
By all staying home and avoiding contact with others outside of your household we can, as we have before bring this virus under control and save the NHS

And 1 outsider
Face masks must now be worn all the time when outside of your home.

I wonder if the numerous mockers and sneerers on NSC would instantly solve the problem of Covid should they somehow become (gawd help us all) PM overnight?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If schools remain open then any other measures will be pointless.
Schools will remain open.

Yup. Seems there's a complete mental block in government:

"Kids aren't really affected by the virus, so even if they get it it isn't a problem" and "teachers are catching it at the same rate as everyone else" arguments keep getting repeated. Except: those kids who catch it at school are then taking it home to mum and dad, granny and grandad, brother and sister. Guess why teachers are catching it at the same rate as everyone else Mr's Hancock and Johnson? Because everyone else is being exposed to the same kids coming home from school that the teachers are; and the home environment is known to be a primary source of new infections.

A March replay.....?!

I know he's improved this season, but I'm still not keen on seeing many of those. Too many are shots going wide or over the top...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That’s surprising. All the schools in Peacehaven have closed (other than with the above mentioned exceptions) and I heard it was the same for Newhaven and Seaford but that must have been wrong.

It's varied depending on school - which has depended on how many staff at each school have listened to the Unions and refused to work. Little Horsted closed today due to lack of staff, but other schools in the Uckfield area were open.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the numpties didn't follow the last set of rules and the rest of us did, they ain't going to be following the stricter rules :shrug:
Hopefully this time round the uber-libertarian Boris will be forced by wiser heads to make the restrictions compulsory, with sanctions that will be enforced (and without the police being allowed to say they are too busy!).

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
These stirring address the nation moments really bring out the best in Boris, the man, who despite falling terribly ill himself, rallied the nation in our darkest hour ... positively Churchillian. :salute:

21071508-0-image-a-80_1573854312225.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Lockdown.

Starts next Tuesday teatime.

Before then, whatever you do don't meet up with friends for a last minute drink or go to a rave.

Oh, you already have.

PS don't worry, we'll keep all the local shops open so the poorest in society can be most exposed to this virus by the middle classes!

Bloody teachers force me to do it!

Anyone want a free lunch voucher?

Here's Chris. Show some slides Chris!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
8.10pm Keir Starmer smugly telling the nation " I told you so" and claiming a moral victory.

I'm going to watch Only Connect on BBC2.

What are you like at the Missing Vowels round? The category is 'Things that its a shame Boris Johnson can't do'

TLLT HTRTHF HSLFDP NDDNT

GVR NHSWY TFPP RBG

NHN STDYSW RK

FC KFF

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Closing schools a day after telling the country they were safe and people should send their kids in is so inept it hurts. As if the situation has changed that much in 24 hours.

Surely it's time for a change of leadership, and not just a Tory Party leadership contest. He's useless!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any guesses as to what the new 3 word slogan for the divs who voted for Boris will be?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's what annoys me most. Media appearances from Johnson yesterday and Hancock today about how safe schools are yet it seems they are on the verge of flipping that completely. They are no less safe tomorrow than yesterday

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Fully anticipating lockdown until a % of the population is vaccinated.

Not really sure what else they can do to stop people from going out. The ONLY thing I can think of is appropriating the military to become delivery drivers for food shopping.

I quite fancy the AAC to arrive at my gaff with my shopping via Apache.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hopefully this time round the uber-libertarian Boris will be forced by wiser heads to make the restrictions compulsory, with sanctions that will be enforced (and without the police being allowed to say they are too busy!).

You seem to have answered your own question, post#103...

Well done, I instantly thought you were PM material when I read that, short decisive and enforceable, even you are a better bet than Johnson for PM :clap2::clap2::clap2:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Impossible. The police don't have time.

The only way that restrictions will work is with public buy in and a culture of following the rules (which is why place like Japan and Korea have done so well). This was actually ok initially in the UK, but took a massive hit when Cummings took his road trip and our incompetent PM didn't sack him instantly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here