Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Clearly, that is what we all hope. And historically, respiratory viruses have tended to peter out.

What is of some concern (to me anyway) is the extent of the 'limited measures' to which Whitty referred being in place next Winter. Are we talking about Mask wearing ad infinitum? Bubbles?
Distancing? Rules of Six? Maybe it won't happen because the vaccines are very effective. But another Winter like this isn't an appealing prospect.

And the next time a virus rises in the East - which it certainly will - what then? We can't lockdown the country every other year. Can we?

Why even try to guess at this stage ? Things are evolving, including the science to deal with it - really wouldn’t try to read too much into it at this stage.

Maybe a few areas into Tier 1 from ‘normal’ ? Masks on public transport in London for a couple of months ? Who knows. They’ve been wearing masks in Asia for years during cold and flu outbreaks.....might be as simple as that (ie if you have symptoms, wear a mask).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
M23 at 6 am was like a normal day from pre Covid. M25/M26 and M20 were a joy, very little traffic going in either direction. Folkstone barely anyone around, Hythe and Dymchurch busy.

Police were stopping cars this morning on Kingsway/Hove lawns, I presume to check if they should be out.
The Hove Lawns area is a popular spot for police to do random breath tests. I was coming back from a night at Mrs V's in Brighton one morning and had my only ever breath test. I was fine of course. So, could have been that and then... " would you mind telling me where you are going" after that.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If the vaccines work (they seems to) and uptake is widespread (in the long term, anti vaxers will be more a problem than supply and deployment) we will never be blighted like this again. Also, it is likely the virus will mutate to a less lethal form, as is the usual pattern (an infection is not advantaged if it kills the host; that's like chopping down a vine to harvest the grapes).
Covid-20, covid-21? The next pandemic will be a different blighter, and we won't see that coming until it's too late either.

Covid-19 hasn't even been that lethal compared to some other real nasties out there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Covid-20, covid-21? The next pandemic will be a different blighter, and we won't see that coming until it's too late either.

Covid-19 hasn't even been that lethal compared to some other real nasties out there.

Nasties? 830 people died today. That’s three plane loads of people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
50 million died from Spanish flu
228,000 In uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over two years, as it lasted until 1920. Britain has had 80000 already. There was no health service then.
It was called Spanish flu but originated in America.

Swine flu originated in Mexico, so not all ‘nasties’ come from the East.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, I am very pro-vaccine. Why would I be anti-vax!?
All I am saying is the government know the numbers, as do we, and we all knew before Christmas that there needed to be another lockdown. So what is the reason behind doing it one day after opening schools!?

I wouldn’t under estimate the pressure from the unions, schools and also staff invoking Section 44 of the Employment Act. Schools cannot open without sufficient staff and many have been spooked by the new variant. Sometimes events overwhelm policy makers and policy is changed. It’s a positive that the Government did not act macho and insist on its previous course of action. Of course I don’t know this for sure but nor do you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wouldn’t under estimate the pressure from the unions, schools and also staff invoking Section 44 of the Employment Act. Schools cannot open without sufficient staff and many have been spooked by the new variant. Sometimes events overwhelm policy makers and policy is changed. It’s a positive that the Government did not act macho and insist on its previous course of action. Of course I don’t know this for sure but nor do you.

This.....it also sounded like (from what Whitty was saying) they were hoping for some signs of improvement in the numbers yesterday (first meaningful day of data after a long weekend which always seems to mess with the numbers) but it went the other way so SAGE yesterday morning recommended the lockdown[emoji2369]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it makes me wonder about the organizations/companies people have worked in, if they think boris is a good leader? wtaf! :nono:

This is what I was suggesting the other day. If any other boss, manager, leader or even a family member or friend, dithered so much, made so many wrong choices and made so many u-turns you’d seriously question their ability to do the job and/or their well-being. Yet the PM of the U.K. still has a small bunch on here who will routinely defend him regardless.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is what I was suggesting the other day. If any other boss, manager, leader or even a family member or friend, dithered so much, made so many wrong choices and made so many u-turns you’d seriously question their ability to do the job and/or their well-being. Yet the PM of the U.K. still has a small bunch on here who will routinely defend him regardless.

Quite.
We have a government that can pass acts, unopposed that enable them to break domestic law.
They pass acts limiting who can access information under the freedom of information act.
They pass acts essentially rendering Parliament obsolete as a tempering force.
We only get a say in who runs the country, up to every 5 years. So this can carry on unabated and there is nothing we can do about it.
Apparently that’s democracy. Is it balls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
no one cares about this any more because it's normal

In fairness it's genetic.

You can't expect a Tory MP to not put his snout in the trough.
Much the same way as you can't expect me to share Licorice Allsorts.

In other news.
Roads are more dangerous to our children's lives than a global pandemic:-

[tweet]1346784181519581186[/tweet]

So that's alright then.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

In other news.

So that's alright then.

What's the most dangerous part of kids going to school mid-pandemic for their live in grandparent? Why is he constantly missing the point?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

In other news.

So that's alright then.

i am of the understanding that the scruffy, fat, slob is all over this, and we are the world leader in danger for children crossing the road

In case you hadn't noticed (or in case your sense of outrage blinded you to the facts) this country had voted for Brexit, and voted in the only government that was committed to delivering it months before Covid came galloping over the horizon.
Now, we understand some people (more than most on NSC) hate Brexit, some hate Boris (not a fan myself, tbh) and despise the Tories (again, not usually even my second choice either), but any prat who starts linking their passionate hatred of Brexit/Boris/the Tories with Covid, as if it's Brexit/Boris/the Tories that is to blame for it is just that - a prat.
It's an unprecedented crisis, with no route map available to anyone, no absolute rights and wrongs as far as government action is concerned. Some governments have done slightly better than others, some slightly worse. Some of the ones who have done slightly better have used methods that the most vociferous Boris haters would shout even louder about - rigid and strictly controlled border controls, for instance, and little or no immigration (New Zealand for example - clearly racists!) or draconian enforcement of total lockdown (some far eastern countries (obviously Fascists!))

Oh, and just one more little thing the EU have Covid too, just as bad as we do...........

The EU offered to delay it for a year to deal with the COVID crisis, as quite frankly, lives are more important than Brexit, yet we denied it and conceded it had to be done this year. Hence it was completed in final days of the year. We are basically still in the EU anyway, just with a worse deal ;) (for the Brexit thread that one though).

This is probably a reason why we've been so sh*t at dealing with the pandemic. Too busy concentrating on Brexit AND the pandemic, whilst also playing party populist politics with the emergency and not facing it head on.

Brexit is 2nd in priority to the pandemic and should have been put on hold until at least the latter parts of this year when the vaccinations were in full swing. We would have then had the the whole of Government dealing with the pandemic and the pandemic only.

Please don't call me a prat either, it makes you look like a baby.

In the meantime, Nadhim Zahawi (claims parliamentary expenses for heating his stables) gets the gig for distribution of vaccines.

His wife and two sons set up a brand new company Warren Medical Company Ltd. Conflict of interest?

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/vaccine-minister-nadhim-zahawi-family-set-up-medical-company/

Are you surprised? I used to have respect for that party, not anymore. The quicker the respectable members get back in charge, the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here