Boris Johnson 8pm televised address - official match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You've only been in Tier 4 for just over a week, how do you know it wasn't working?

It looks like it's been making a difference in London and Kent where it's been in place for longer:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/coronavirus-uk-covid-cases-and-deaths-today

Closure of places like hairdressers where there is a lot of close contact should also make a difference.

That said these things follow a natural curve in any case.

Tier 4 hasn't made f all difference in my part of Kent, the numbers here in Swale are as high as before Christmas, just that others have overtaken us, getting worse, not us better!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm not sure if you noticed my reply, but I have relatives in Germany and friends around Europe. Death counting is not a science but an art and at the moment I wouldn't form many views around them at the moment. Certainly my German relatives wouldn't agree with them being better off. I posted earlier:-

I thought I would raise a non British viewpoint.

I have a German uncle, and with my aunty they live mainly in Germany. Brunswick has been given circa 1000 vaccines for a population of 250,000. My aunty and uncle are now their 70's and they say that they will be unlikely to get vaccinated before June/July. This is not a leave or remain post and don't wan't it read as such.

However the UK have been more successful in it's procurement of vaccines than the EU. The way things are in Germany, virtually all of the UK will be vaccinated before my German uncle and aunty will get their vaccine.

As for when my cousin in Germany will get his vaccination is anyone's guess. This does not mean that the EU have done something deliberately wrong, or have been negligent, it's just they made a call on procurement and it has not gone well. It happens and the EU will now be between 3 to 8 months behind the UK in vaccinating people, with all the implications on lives and the economy.

If the UK gov had got it's procurement wrong then this would be all over the press, but I have only very briefly heard it mentioned on Times radio and by a presenter who was very keen to excuse the mistake. The BBC and ITV seem to have not mentioned this at all. Either way, procurement of the vaccine is one of the biggest calls to make and the UK gov should get credit for getting it right. We might also think about the people of pensionable age around the world who won't have been vaccinated before all of us, who are younger than them, get our vaccine. That's my two penneth anyway.

You know Germany has ****ed up when Their Tubthumper go’s quiet on the subject [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sounds like good luck then. The Tories clearly were planning to send kids together to be vectors and then lockdown. If that was not the plan they would have acted earlier. They have been acting "slow" since the start, it is a pattern now and it looks very deliberate.

Right.

Just to be clear, you are saying that the Tories had a deliberate plan to send in kids to all schools to transmit Covid between themselves and to their teachers and then lock these people in to infect their families? That's your claim?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Right.

Just to be clear, you are saying that the Tories had a deliberate plan to send in kids to all schools to transmit Covid between themselves and to their teachers and then lock these people in to infect their families? That's your claim?
TBF,with this government, that is not as far fetched as it sounds..

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It certainly looks that way doesn't it. Unless I am missing some huge piece of information showing that the trends suddenly got worse on the Monday? But as far as I can make out it has not been the case. How else do you explain starting a lockdown one day after opening the schools again? Because the way cases go up should not be catching anyone out by now.

I'm no fan of the Tories but I'm pretty sure its more a case of incompetence than malice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There isn't a valid reason. This problem is, I'm afraid, down to Boris. Boris, although a true-blue Tory, is also an uber-libertarian, and there is one word which is absolute anathema to him; pure poison, and one which he (and the prats who won't wear a mask) would like to see removed from the language altogether.

That vile word is, of course, 'must'.

Absolutely correct.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It certainly looks that way doesn't it. Unless I am missing some huge piece of information showing that the trends suddenly got worse on the Monday? But as far as I can make out it has not been the case. How else do you explain starting a lockdown one day after opening the schools again? Because the way cases go up should not be catching anyone out by now.

And you can’t think of any other reasons that would give you any doubts at all about the validity of your unsubstantiated conspiracy theory ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

In the early days, some of those who advocated 'herd immunity' (which means that once a sufficient number of people have acquired immunity the herd would be protected) which, in the absence of a vaccine means allowing people to become infected, would have supported such a strategy since the young appeared to be barely affected when infected, but then there was talk that the young don't get affected because they don't get infected.

We don't antibody test enough healthy kids to know which of the above is true, but only mad people advocated allowing the disease to spread after April last year because it's lethality in the old had become clear.

I suspect some in government still imagine that kids are immune, whithout knowing why, and so back the idea of keeping schools open to mitigate against economic and social issues.

The real answer is poor leadership, and I'm not going to repeat what a has already been said eloquently by others (including lifelong tories) about Boris' fitness for the job.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yet this guy, who has been spot on with his analysis says different for Swale - it is more than possible there are two different time frames involved ..

https://coviddatashare.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/TableCumulative_Rate_20210104.html

I've just checked the Swale figures via the BBC website. That indicates between 25/12-31/12 Swale recorded 1119 cases, 15 down on the previous week, hardly an indication that Tier 4 is working!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm no fan of the Tories but I'm pretty sure its more a case of incompetence than malice.

Having worked with various Government departments over the years on a number of different things, if there is ever a choice between a. Incompetence b. Conspiracy or C Foresight I'd be having a max bet on A every time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lewis Goodall [MENTION=15917]lewis[/MENTION]_goodall
Important from Whitty. Says that risk isn't going away even with vaccine- merely that risk comes down to a point which society considers acceptable. Raises the prospect of some limited measures being necessary next winter.

What are limited measures?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Having worked with various Government departments over the years on a number of different things, if there is ever a choice between a. Incompetence b. Conspiracy or C Foresight I'd be having a max bet on A every time.

[emoji106]. And when you have a grade A **** in charge who can’t make decisions anyway

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Jim Pickard
@PickardJE
·
29m
in response to [MENTION=612]Sam[/MENTION]CoatesSky
question, Boris Johnson says "things will be very different by the spring" but can't promise with confidence that children will be back in school *before the summer holidays*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports