Boris is NOT running

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Totally unsurprised. Once Cameron resigned on Friday morning, Johnson knew his political goose was cooked. Surprised anyone wants to preside over this mess.

Agreed. Whilst it had to happen, Cameron's resignation was one last huge great "**** you" to Boris. The moment he resigned, Boris was screwed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally unsurprised. Once Cameron resigned on Friday morning, Johnson knew his political goose was cooked. Surprised anyone wants to preside over this mess.

Is it a mess though? Seems to me that the serious politicians are now starting to step up to the mark with a view to executing the democratic will of the British people. IMHO it's all suddenly got a lot more positive. Just need the Labour Party (+ Green alliance?) to sort itself out now and we're all up and running again and looking forward. Even those pitiful sheep in 'the markets' seem to have stopped their usual flapping at the slightest hint of upheaval. Or more likely, they've now been paid out on their hedged bets.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A good thing. Boris could certainly win a popularity contest with the public, but I personally wouldn't be confident in his ability to sort out the MESS which Brexit has caused. That said, I really don't know who would be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I didn't like the Brexit vote, but I reluctantly accepted its validity.

Not any fxxkin more I don't!

That buffoon won the vote to leave and now he does not have the balls to stand by his own convictions (or lack of them). Whoever becomes PM should call a general election, and then hopefully some kind of coalition will run on a 'remain' ticket. Plenty won't like it, but after the lies and mistruths exposed since last week and the complete cowardice shown by one of the architects of this disaster it is the only sensible way forward, and to remind many, the referendum was never legally binding anyway.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Boris is biding his time again.

He knows that whomever is elected is a dead man or woman walking because of the single market and immigration issue. He's hoping they'll take the bullet and he can ride in on a charger after that. What a Machiavellian character he is.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I posted this on Friday to much scepticism from some on here, seems the journo got it about rightFrom the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Sent from my iPhone

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
A good thing. Boris could certainly win a popularity contest with the public, but I personally wouldn't be confident in his ability to sort out the MESS which Brexit has caused. That said, I really don't know who would be.

Rupert Murdoch hasn't decided yet.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm not surprised he's bottled it. Cameron called his bluff when he resigned and left it to the Brexiters to negotiate the EU separation and if he he'd decided to put his hat in the ring the Tory party behind the scenes dirt box would've swung into play, his alleged sexual philandering would be all over the papers and he would have been publicly crucified. Pity really, couldn't have happened to a nicer man.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it a mess though? Seems to me that the serious politicians are now starting to step up to the mark with a view to executing the democratic will of the British people. IMHO it's all suddenly got a lot more positive. Just need the Labour Party (+ Green alliance?) to sort itself out now and we're all up and running again and looking forward. Even those pitiful sheep in 'the markets' seem to have stopped their usual flapping at the slightest hint of upheaval. Or more likely, they've now been paid out on their hedged bets.

I think the exercising of the democratic will is the problem. Only earlier, Liam Fox was saying how we wanted entry to the single market without free movement. It's as if they just don't get it.

The markets have stopped flapping, but I think the only thing that's happening is a brief hiatus and folk making money on a few bargains. The market isn't the indicator at present. I'd say the main news is far eastern banks looking to protect themselves against loan exposures etc in London now. These are the small things which collectively add up to an indicator that not all is well.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
So, in a few months' time, if Labour can get its act together, instead of being some back street revolutionary club, we could have serious leaders for both parties - Theresa May for the Tories, Dan Jarvis for Labour. What a shame that we have to go through all the shambles, economic damage and loss of prestige for our country that us remainers warned of to get there (though it is fair to say that Osborne's austerity programme is to blame for the Brexit vote to a great extent; I feel that the criticism of Jeremy Corbyn is slightly unfair).

Theresa May will get my vote (I am a member of the Wandsworth Conservatives), but had Boris Johnson got the leadership and Labour elected Dan Jarvis, I was going to defect to them (or to the Liberal Democrats if they didn't. As a One Nation Conservative, I was already very unhappy over the Tax Credit and Disability Living Allowance changes, and the utter mess that is Southern capped it all.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I reckon Boris is going to stand as Labours next leader, he can change his principles, believes, politics to suit any occasion.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I didn't like the Brexit vote, but I reluctantly accepted its validity.

Not any fxxkin more I don't!

That buffoon won the vote to leave and now he does not have the balls to stand by his own convictions (or lack of them). Whoever becomes PM should call a general election, and then hopefully some kind of coalition will run on a 'remain' ticket. Plenty won't like it, but after the lies and mistruths exposed since last week and the complete cowardice shown by one of the architects of this disaster it is the only sensible way forward, and to remind many, the referendum was never legally binding anyway.

No chance. Leave won and Leave will be delivered by the current Conservative government. You can put the straws down now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports