Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris is NOT running

biddles911

May 12, 2014
It was not Cameron's job to force a coherent exit plan from Brexit. The lack of it should have raised alarms bells with their campaign but so many didn't seem bothered by that slight oversight.

Cameron called the referendum and set the question and framed the debate. In my book he's responsible for not ensuring there wasn't a clear case on both sides to put to the electorate so we had some idea of what we were voting for.

In the event, people voted for Brexit for a variety of reasons with no clear idea of what might actually be achievable. I appreciate total clarity wasn't possible but the shambles we now have is a direct result of the ambiguous and varied positions of the Brexiteers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There seems to be an automatic assumption that Gove didn't know that Boris wasn't going to run.

As his right hand man for many weeks, I think it far more likely that BJ told Gove in advance of his decision, who then decided to run as the most senior Brexiteer left?

Have to blame Cameron for this shambles and not forcing the Brexiteers to put up a coherent exit plan for the country to consider properly.

We're now left with no clear plan, EU making it crystal clear from all quarters that free movement is not negotiable and years of horse trading to get out of the EU and make new deals with umpteen nations with every likelihood that we'll achieve almost none of the aims of the Brexiteers.

Pity Mark Carney's not available for PM! Thought his words of measured wisdom today and last Friday were a huge tonic after the rubbish spouted by all the politicians and probably the only reason the markets have settled down a bit.....

The press were told that Boris press conference today was to launch his leadership bid, everyone in the room thought it was to launch his leadership bid except Boris, his wife and two others.
Even his main backers among the MPs there thought it was to launch his leadership bid.
Only he bottled it.
Cameron has finished Boris s career

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The press were told that Boris press conference today was to launch his leadership bid, everyone in the room thought it was to launch his leadership bid except Boris, his wife and two others.
Even his main backers among the MPs there thought it was to launch his leadership bid.
Only he bottled it.

At least some good has come from this referendum .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Only he bottled it.

Not convinced by this. On the other hand, it does have the whiff of Osborne's machinations about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cameron called the referendum and set the question and framed the debate. In my book he's responsible for not ensuring there wasn't a clear case on both sides to put to the electorate so we had some idea of what we were voting for.

not really, its not his place to make those plans. as a pro-leave, it is a concern that there doesnt appear to be even back of the envelope sketches of how to proceed, a set of options and redlines to form up a starting point. appears everyone involved was winging it, even i could come up with a half dozen policy principles to frame a future outside. why i became disheartened by the campaign, why no simple policies like ring fencing EU funds to be paid towards CAP, regional development, science research. they offered nothing tangible only rhetoric on bloody immigration.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

In the event, people voted for Brexit for a variety of reasons with no clear idea of what might actually be achievable. I appreciate total clarity wasn't possible but the shambles we now have is a direct result of the ambiguous and varied positions of the Brexiteers.

Oh I agree. I voted remain so I didn't care that Brexit were so lacking with an exit plan. The fact that a lot of the Brexiteers didn't have much to think about helped their cause. I mean they just wanted out............mainly because of immigration. The majority couldn't have handled more than that.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
not really, its not his place to make those plans. as a pro-leave, it is a concern that there doesnt appear to be even back of the envelope sketches of how to proceed, a set of options and redlines to form up a starting point. appears everyone involved was winging it, even i could come up with a half dozen policy principles to frame a future outside. why i became disheartened by the campaign, why no simple policies like ring fencing EU funds to be paid towards CAP, regional development, science research. they offered nothing tangible only rhetoric on bloody immigration.

I was pro-remain but I hoped at the beginning of the campaign that we would be debating issues like this.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Lol to everyone that voted, I tried to tell you it'll be a waste of time, now the county's in turmoil, great job guys[emoji23] [emoji106]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's not just Sussex, I can assure you Devon is in turmoil as well, I worked in Cornwall today and that was in turmoil as well.
(I am assuming you live in Sussex)
Country *[emoji106] [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just heard Hezza's condemnation of Johnson ... wow. I don't think I've heard such a character assassination of a politician by a member of the same party. Come to think of it, not heard many from a member of an opposing party.

You were left with the distinct impression that Heseltine still yearned for the days when someone like Johnson would be left in a room with a bottle of whisky and a loaded revolver, it was that brutal

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Lol to everyone that voted, I tried to tell you it'll be a waste of time, now the county's in turmoil, great job guys[emoji23] [emoji106]

Quite right it didn't make any difference apart from altering this countries future dramatically and shaking up both the Conservative and Labour parties so they have to seriously think about how they react to the seismic shifts in voting patterns .... and forcing the EU to reevaluate where it goes from here ... which ironically appears to be in the wrong direction.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-27/the-u-k-doesn-t-have-a-brexit-plan-but-the-eu-does

:lolol:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Yup, anybody who watched that muppet performance would have come to the same conclusion shirley. David Cameron by comparison, despite having every right to just say furk it to the lot of you, has acted with dignity and class throughout. Total respect to the man for that.

I've never been the biggest fan of David Cameron but I have to hold my hands up and say he has some stones for resigning.

It was a huge **** you to Boris and chums.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am sure Boris thought he would just lose the referendum and it would set him up in four years to take over from DC popular with both sides. So he miscalculated and cost this country.
At least our tourist industry looks set for a boost.
We might make some money from the doughnut.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Only he bottled it.
Yeah, really finished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here