Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
My sister is recovering after being badly affected by it for a fortnight - is it therefore okay for her to come and sit in my garden, as she is now immune. My wife's niece is also recovering (she officially had it - ie: tested), she has a small flat with two small kids, so could she come and convalesce here in the Lake District because its nicer?

I’d say yes in both cases. The fresh air and sunshine would do them good and I can’t see any harm in it.

I think common sense needs to be applied in cases like this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sometimes though is the message and impression that is more important than the actuality. We see these complaints of people out and about, and this sort of behaviour by ministers just encourages others. My sister is recovering after being badly affected by it for a fortnight - is it therefore okay for her to come and sit in my garden, as she is now immune. My wife's niece is also recovering (she officially had it - ie: tested), she has a small flat with two small kids, so could she come and convalesce here in the Lake District because its nicer? This is going to be one of the interesting things to manage post lockdown, and when they have the antibody test.

Talking of the much trumpeted antibody test....

Reveal cost of 3.5m unusable Covid-19 tests, health chiefs told
Payment was guaranteed for antibody kits designed to show who was immune but they later proved wildly inaccurate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...5m-unusable-covid-19-tests-health-chiefs-told

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you make a statement suggesting that you avoid news as it affects your mental health on one of the hundreds of threads over the years that you embroil yourself on often arguing then just because you know a few people ain’t going to help.

Take a chill pill and let people have their say without challenging all the time, it’s good for your long term mental health. [emoji106]

Goodness me, you're a qualified psychiatrist. You should have said earlier.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
bylinetimes is for agenda driven conspiracy theorist simpletons and Peston is increasingly coming across like a right berk.
#benice

The 'herd immunity' policy has been quite apparent aside of what Johnson said in that interview. He didn't say they would be following it, it was just a mooted theory.

However, Dr Patrick Vallance (CSA) pretty much did. I remember watching a video of him answering questions about it. It is undeniable. Most of the quality press were talking about it. International broadsheets were reporting it too.

The Sun, as ever, have been a national disgrace in their reporting. Right down to the trouble they have tried to cause here in Brighton.

The only herd immunity I see at present is the vast numbers who are immune to researching things for themselves.

Edit: This is where it gets almost Pythonesque. The Sun actually reported his comments:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11164977/millions-uk-coronavirus-herd-immunity/

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’d say yes in both cases. The fresh air and sunshine would do them good and I can’t see any harm in it.

Yes - I agree. Much like 'what harm would going out a second time in my small town, as I never see anyone after dark in normal times, let alone now?' But that's not the point I was making. If others see people start to trip around, they will think 'others are, so I can as well' - they won't know that the others are immune. Just read some of the comments on the social distancing thread about neighbours having people round in their gardens.

That's what I mean about the impression being more important than the actuality at these times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He’s immune now, so I suppose there’s no harm. Downing Street is a workplace so maybe not the place for convalescence.

I think Chequers is about 30-35 miles north of Downing Street, so not like going to Cornwall or the Highlands.

My sister is recovering after being badly affected by it for a fortnight - is it therefore okay for her to come and sit in my garden, as she is now immune. My wife's niece is also recovering (she officially had it - ie: tested), she has a small flat with two small kids, so could she come and convalesce here in the Lake District because its nicer?

So you now think that anyone who has recovered from the virus should be able to travel anywhere that is more conducive to their recovery (as long as it is under 35 miles ?), despite the fact that this is completely contrary to everything the Government has been saying for the last 3 weeks ?

Are there any other things that the Government are saying we should do to minimise the risk to NHS workers that you think we should ignore in the interests of 'common sense' ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you now think that anyone who has recovered from the virus should be able to travel anywhere that is more conducive to their recovery (as long as it is under 35 miles ?), despite the fact that this is completely contrary to everything the Government has been saying for the last 3 weeks ?

Are there any other things that the Government are saying we should do to minimise the risk to NHS workers that you think we should ignore in the interests of 'common sense' ???

This.

I haven't seen any post on NSC about this but....a mate who works in big pharma in the US told me on Skype yesterday that there are reports coming out of South Korea that about 70 patients who have recovered from COVA, been found to be free of the virus, are now testing positive for the virus again. They are currently investigating whether this is error, or de facto reinfection. If the latter then all this chat about herd immunity goes out the window.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Yes to the first paragraph although I wouldn’t restrict it to 35 miles.

To the second, if someone is immune and won’t be carrying the virus, why shouldn’t they? What harm would they do?

And why would NHS be put at risk if a recovered patient goes to the Lake District to recuperate?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This.

I haven't seen any post on NSC about this but....a mate who works in big pharma in the US told me on Skype yesterday that there are reports coming out of South Korea that about 70 patients who have recovered from COVA, been found to be free of the virus, are now testing positive for the virus again. They are currently investigating whether this is error, or de facto reinfection. If the latter then all this chat about herd immunity goes out the window.

That is troubling.. to say the least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This.

Nah, it's been on here.

As with previous reports of "second infection" it is believed that it is either...

- faulty testing and/or
- virus reactivation (ie remnants of the virus were dormant in the host, but with that person not being infectious)

Fingers crossed, eh?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes to the first paragraph although I wouldn’t restrict it to 35 miles.

To the second, if someone is immune and won’t be carrying the virus, why shouldn’t they? What harm would they do?

And why would NHS be put at risk if a recovered patient goes to the Lake District to recuperate?

You're missing the point about the impression it gives and copycats. Once a sector of society start to move around as normal - others will feel 'victimised' and will also start to move around more. And they certainly shouldn't be driving long distances, as that increases the risk of accidents and pressure on the NHS. Part of the point of all this is to reduce the normal flow to hospitals to free them up for dealing with covid-19 cases.

And if people start to come to places like the Lake District to recuperate, then it will mean more people trying to use the local shops (we don't have large numbers of large supermarkets) - which means that those of us who live here and rely on these shops will find it more difficult to go shopping for essentials safely - queues will be longer, there will be less on the shelves, and so on and so on. And nor will we know that these visitors are immune, so will 'avoid' them as now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nah, it's been on here.

As with previous reports of "second infection" it is believed that it is either...

- faulty testing and/or
- virus reactivation (ie remnants of the virus were dormant in the host, but with that person not being infectious)

Fingers crossed, eh?

Sure hope this is the case.. if not, its a horrible horrible horrible horrible game changer.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
You're missing the point about the impression it gives and copycats.

But we’re going to have to face this question at some point. The more that get this and recover, the more call there’ll be to let them out.

If they’re no threat to anyone, it’s simply not fair to keep them under virtual house arrest.

We need to get back to normal and those immune will be in the vanguard.

Copycats will have to be looked at too.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Nah, it's been on here.

- faulty testing and/or

Fingers crossed, eh?

That’s most likely the case. Some early tests apparently just gave positives to any Coronavirus, not just Covid19. So that would include norovirus or the common cold.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, it's been on here.

- faulty testing and/or

Fingers crossed, eh?

Apologies.

For what it's worth I would be astonished that anyone can catch the same COVA twice. You're more likely to catch David Icke talking sense.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Apologies.

For what it's worth I would be astonished that anyone can catch the same COVA twice. You're more likely to catch David Icke talking sense.

I hope Eamonn Holmes doesn't read your quote. He will be apoplectic with rage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
“The greatest prison people live in is the fear of what other people think.”
― David Icke

We're doomed!

You may be doomed, pal.

Curiously Icky also wrote:

"I couldn't walk down any street in Britain without being laughed at. It was a nightmare."

Consistency was never his strong suit. Except when it came to talking bollocks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Curiously Icky also wrote:

"I couldn't walk down any street in Britain without being laughed at. It was a nightmare."

Consistency was never his strong suit. Except when it came to talking bollocks.
I suppose in his defence, he didn't say he wasn't in the prison he described. Although he probably hinted he wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here