Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this article highlights how we need to change how and who we question over issues. what is the point of quizing Ms Whatley, in office for 2 months about something 3 years ago? should be directing questions to Mr Philip Dunne, who was incumbent for 3 years prior. they dont want answers though, just box office.

He quizzed her because she claimed.the UK was well prepared for the coronavirus pandemic (the exact words in that article).

Make statements like that and expect to be quizzed on them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just as an aside, Downing Street is about a mile from St Thomas' hospital so why has Johnson gone to Chequers? Aren't visits to second homes supposed to be frivolous?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I hadn't kept up with their latest figures. For the sake of my mental health, I am trying to avoid too much news, but sometimes it just slaps me in the face like the 10000 figure.

If the “news” represents a clear and present danger to your mental health, goodness knows what spending half your day on here ranting and arguing with complete strangers does to it!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If the “news” represents a clear and present danger to your mental health, goodness knows what spending half your day on here ranting and arguing with complete strangers does to it!!

I didn't realise you cared so much as to time my logging in and out of Nsc. x

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Just as an aside, Downing Street is about a mile from St Thomas' hospital so why has Johnson gone to Chequers? Aren't visits to second homes supposed to be frivolous?

He’s immune now, so I suppose there’s no harm. Downing Street is a workplace so maybe not the place for convalescence.

I think Chequers is about 30-35 miles north of Downing Street, so not like going to Cornwall or the Highlands.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
He’s immune now, so I suppose there’s no harm. Downing Street is a workplace so maybe not the place for convalescence.

I think Chequers is about 30-35 miles north of Downing Street, so not like going to Cornwall or the Highlands.

Has the advice on virus shedding changed?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Hark at you with your long words, Mister "I've got a degree in English" sanctimonious.

And as for offering out violence on here, wow, I've reported your post to a moderator. I've got no wish to meet you.

Have a nice Easter. :bigwave:

This is interesting.

A poster who loves the PM, dishes out rubbish all over the shop, but can't handle ripostes, thinks using every day English is 'sanctimonious', and who runs off after wetting the bed to mod.

I get it now. You're a child. I apologise.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Maybe it would with complete strangers, but I know many Nsc posters to say hello to by name, and several are friends.

If you make a statement suggesting that you avoid news as it affects your mental health on one of the hundreds of threads over the years that you embroil yourself on often arguing then just because you know a few people ain’t going to help.

Take a chill pill and let people have their say without challenging all the time, it’s good for your long term mental health. [emoji106]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last ten pages..

Kindergarten or catfight, whats your vote?

Guy is out of the hospital, like it or not. There must be some other topic where you can re-live puberty.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ok, fair do's, you asked for it. don't forget to read the whole article but I will cut and paste a particularly relevant section for speed and clarity.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/03/18/herd-immunity-timeline-to-a-climb-down/

" The ‘Fake News’ Backlash
I was surprised that, after more than a week, not a single media outlet had reported the fact that Britain’s Prime Minister had said “take it on the chin” in relation to the Coronavirus on national television. What was even more shocking was that it did not receive coverage even after going viral.
But then some people did start taking notice of it. And the backlash started to grow.
Fortunately for me, most of the ire was directed at the people who had tweeted the clip with a claim that the Prime Minister was suggesting or recommending “taking it on the chin”. He had been very careful with his words – merely positing the theory, rather than advocating it.
Claims started mounting suggesting that the clip had been edited (it hadn’t) or – as the Guido Fawkes site claimed – that it had been taken “out of context”. Though the interview had been clipped, the meaning of his words had not been distorted.
Two days after my tweet, the Sun ran an article written by its executive editor Dan Wooton. “Fake news merchants on the cesspit that is Twitter are distributing a clip of the Prime Minister,” it screamed beneath the headline: Boris has been Misrepresented by an-Out-of Context Clip – and it Must Stop.
Even the reputable fact-checking website, Full Fact, weighed in. Rather than recognise that the Prime Minister had floated a crazy theory, it took aim at the claim that he had “advocated” the theory, and concluded this was incorrect. I believe a large majority of people who had posted the clip had never made this claim. But now it was official: the clip was ‘fake news’ and anyone posting it was ‘a fake news merchant’.
It was sobering to see how swiftly sections of the media had moved to snuff out what was a growing viral story. Many of the people who had posted it quite legitimately – including Miles Thompson, whose clip had received millions of views – deleted it due to the online abuse they were receiving.

So the story was quashed, savaged on social media and ignored by the mainstream media. But then everything changed."

" Out in the Open
A week after the original This Morning interview, an “unnamed Government source” gave the political editor of ITV News, Robert Peston, the ‘herd immunity’ story and suddenly everything became clear.
The Government had clearly been planning the herd immunity strategy for weeks. The Prime Minister had been sent out to do the interview with This Morning with the aim of floating the theory to prepare the public for it. Even his words – to allow the virus to “pass through” the population – are identical to those used in Peston’s Government-briefed ‘scoop’.

The fact that the Sun cried “fake news” and leapt to the Prime Minister’s defence after the clip had gone viral, suggests that even the Murdoch press had not been briefed about herd immunity in advance.
Four days after the herd immunity theory was announced, the Government was forced into a humiliating u-turn. It admitted that the science upon which it was based was deeply flawed and, over the past few days, it had been quietly back-tracking. But it cannot backtrack on the many weeks that have been lost or on the many thousands of additional lives that have likely been put at risk. "

bylinetimes is for agenda driven conspiracy theorist simpletons and Peston is increasingly coming across like a right berk.
#benice

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Sometimes though is the message and impression that is more important than the actuality. We see these complaints of people out and about, and this sort of behaviour by ministers just encourages others. My sister is recovering after being badly affected by it for a fortnight - is it therefore okay for her to come and sit in my garden, as she is now immune. My wife's niece is also recovering (she officially had it - ie: tested), she has a small flat with two small kids, so could she come and convalesce here in the Lake District because its nicer? This is going to be one of the interesting things to manage post lockdown, and when they have the antibody test.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here