Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris in hospital

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can you please explain the mentality to me. "I'm not a Tory but.........."

Are people really that fearful of others thinking they voted conservative because they showed some sympathy for a person who's been hospitalised?

I'm really surprised it needs explaining.

It's people pointing out that whilst they don't agree with his views/actions etc, they don't stoop to the level of wishing him ill health. A bit like those of us that can't stand the song about having a party when Wilf Zaha dies.

If the boot was on the other foot, ie it had been Corbyn that was suffering from CV, I suspect there would be a few or those on the right of centre stating they didn't believe in his political views but wish him no ill will.

I really don't understand why it has rattled some so much.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No.5 is self isolating now. Hunt finished second in the leadership race and has intelligently critiqued the government’s handling of this, perhaps they could find a way of giving the former health secretary the helm for the next month or two whilst Mr Johnson recovers?

Really ? Gove has it now ?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
If the boot was on the other foot, ie it had been Corbyn that was suffering from CV, I suspect there would be a few or those on the right of centre stating they didn't believe in his political views but wish him no ill will.

‘Jeremy’ surely, and now of course it would be ‘Keir,’ but of course because neither of those are cuddly, loveable, wiff-waff playing, bumbling constructs people don’t refer to them by their forename the way they do with the current incumbent. I’m guessing these same people refer to the current US president as simply ‘Donald.’

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
‘Jeremy’ surely, and now of course it would be ‘Keir,’ but of course because neither of those are cuddly, loveable, wiff-waff playing, bumbling constructs people don’t refer to them by their forename the way they do with the current incumbent. I’m guessing these same people refer to the current US president as simply ‘Donald.’

There are people like that but I refer to the PM as Johnson. I don't use first names of anyone just because of the press create a caricature of someone.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

It's people pointing out that whilst they don't agree with his views/actions etc, they don't stoop to the level of wishing him ill health. A bit like those of us that can't stand the song about having a party when Wilf Zaha dies.

Yeah, it's important to include that caveat in case people think less of you for wanting someone to not die.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Can you please explain the mentality to me. "I'm not a Tory but.........."

Are people really that fearful of others thinking they voted conservative because they showed some sympathy for a person who's been hospitalised?

I wish Boris Johnson a speedy recovery but I certainly won't be hanging out of the window clapping him tonight at 8pm.

#ClapForBoris

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Seems he’s taking the odd bit of oxygen but isn't on a ventilator and hasn’t got pneumonia, so that’s good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You'd think from the government press briefings he is the most well person to have ever required ICU care.

Agreed. At least on an Emergency Ward he'd likely have been in a private room. No private rooms in ICU....

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I wish Boris Johnson a speedy recovery but I certainly won't be hanging out of the window clapping him tonight at 8pm.

#ClapForBoris

What an unpleasant post. Some things are better left unsaid. I won't be clapping him either, (us old boys don't go in for public displays of emotion) and as a lifetime agnostic I don't say prayers. But we need a leader and he's exactly that. So in the end there's only hope for his recovery...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

#ClapForBoris

Bearing in mind the condition he's in, the last thing he needs is the clap, FFS :down:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I understand that bit, I'm asking about the mentality and the need to put it out there because surely it goes without saying that you don't want someone to die for having a different political view. Not wishing ill health on Boris will not turn you into a Tory.

I suspect it's very much based around a playground mentality of peer group acceptance. Same as when people go to great lengths to make it clear that they don't read the Daily Mail.

It's weird.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Any news on Spence?

I guess the fact he has not updated is the news.

Get well soon .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here