Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris' goose plucked, if not yet cooked

larus

I do not think Boris saw it this way.

if you think that ANY politician (OK, there may be the odd 1 or 2) are really altruistic then you are deluded. Your hate for anything other than Labour is pathetic. The problem with debating politics is too many people are so blinkered that no matter what policies are enacted by the 'other' party, they are always viewed as wrong.

The real problem is that the elite are screwing the average person. If you believe that the power within this country resides with politicians, then you are deluded. All politicians are puppets to the real power (financial) in the world.

So, carry on with playing the Red/Blue - Left/Right argument and miss the real problem. The theft of wealth from normal working people by QE, bailing out the banks, the entitlement culture.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Good interview by Eddie Mair.
2. Boris should never be near the Prime Minister job.
3. Boris handled that interview only as Boris could. I had a smile on my face most of the way through. There are only a handful of politicians who have charm and he is one of them.

Boris is not good on detail, which is why he would never make a good Prime Minister. However, I think he gets the bigger picture and strikes a fair balance. In terms of a cabinet position I could see him as Minister for Culture, Media and Sport but not much else, certainly not Deputy Prime Minister.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Eddie Mair - what an absolute legend. Best political broadcaster around at the moment in my ever-humble opinion.

Eddie Mair is the regular presenter of the PM programme on Radio 4 around 5pm. I quite often listen to him driving home tearing apart politicians (and others) of all parties about the subjects of the day. I am actually disappointed (and don't listen) when he is on holiday, or elsewhere, and A.N. Other takes over and is not as good.

If you want to hear more of him that is where to regularly catch him. He is very sharp at picking things up that politicians say and piling in.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
if you think that ANY politician (OK, there may be the odd 1 or 2) are really altruistic then you are deluded. Your hate for anything other than Labour is pathetic. [3 paragraphs of party politics]

There is a difference between doing something because it pays well or serves an ego or need for power (common non-altruistic motives amongst politicians), and doing what Boris was accused of doing.

Does this issue have anything to do with party politics? Hardly. It's about the Mayor of London being embarrassed on national TV for stupid things he's done in the past. He could be member of any party and made to look a fool.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
1. Good interview by Eddie Mair.
2. Boris should never be near the Prime Minister job.
3. Boris handled that interview only as Boris could. I had a smile on my face most of the way through. There are only a handful of politicians who have charm and he is one of them.

Boris is not good on detail, which is why he would never make a good Prime Minister. However, I think he gets the bigger picture and strikes a fair balance. In terms of a cabinet position I could see him as Minister for Culture, Media and Sport but not much else, certainly not Deputy Prime Minister.

Very well summed up I think. He will always struggle when the real pubicity is turned on him. There also used to be and I think there still is a post of "Minister for London". It's not a post in its own right but is usually given to a senior minister but not secretary of state. I'd like to see the whole ministers for the regions things beefed up so that each area of the country has someone properly engaged to pursue their interests in Westminster. Boris would obviously be a candidate to do that as an MP for London.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Absolute non-story. I'm not a fan of but he handled the interview very well.

Eddie Mair was the one who looked like a cock

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How come it's taken this long for someone to penetrate all that bumbling toff bulls**t that people bow down to and put him on the spot? In any case, good for Mair for finally putting him on the spot. His having done so will either a) seriously damage his future prospects, which I can certainly live with or b) force him to come clean about the skeletons in his cupboard before progressing. Either way, good.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I thought Boris came over as bit of a mobster the lies, cheating knows some one who can break his legs type of torry a sort of Al Capone meets Colonel Blimp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if you think that ANY politician (OK, there may be the odd 1 or 2) are really altruistic then you are deluded. Your hate for anything other than Labour is pathetic. The problem with debating politics is too many people are so blinkered that no matter what policies are enacted by the 'other' party, they are always viewed as wrong.

The real problem is that the elite are screwing the average person. If you believe that the power within this country resides with politicians, then you are deluded. All politicians are puppets to the real power (financial) in the world.

So, carry on with playing the Red/Blue - Left/Right argument and miss the real problem. The theft of wealth from normal working people by QE, bailing out the banks, the entitlement culture.

Where did I say I thought politicians were altruistic? But you are correct in that I hate the Tories.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Absolute non-story. I'm not a fan of but he handled the interview very well.

Eddie Mair was the one who looked like a cock

If you asked the man in the street who are the contenders to take over from Cameron as Tory leader I'm sure Boris would be in the Top 3, if not top itself. Therefore, it's about time he was subjected to some extra scrutiny to see if he is up to the job.

Eddie Mair had a job to do and he did it well; giving Boris a grilling is a bit of a thankless task given his general popularity and easy-going nature, but Mair exposed something that needed to be exposed, i.e. Boris's penchant for bending the rules.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
There is a difference between doing something because it pays well or serves an ego or need for power (common non-altruistic motives amongst politicians), and doing what Boris was accused of doing.

Does this issue have anything to do with party politics? Hardly. It's about the Mayor of London being embarrassed on national TV for stupid things he's done in the past. He could be member of any party and made to look a fool.

Nailed it, totally agree. That separation from a direct political office
as shaded by the 'Mayor' title, along with his characterisation of an affected but wryly amusing schoolboy has probably enabled him to operate with immunity from serious scrutiny....until now(!)
Indeed, his party affiliation doesn't change the interest or make him an unfair target.

Anyway, he gets an iota of sympathy for his sins;
Boris is leader-in-waiting. He’ll never be leader - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He's an upper class twit, who, it's now been revealed is a liar and behind the scenes thug. A stereotypical Etonian bully-boy. Any notion that he's capable of going anywhere near parliament let alone a ministerial post, let alone prime minister, is laughable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's an upper class twit, who, it's now been revealed is a liar and behind the scenes thug. A stereotypical Etonian bully-boy. Any notion that he's capable of going anywhere near parliament let alone a ministerial post, let alone prime minister, is laughable.

This.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Very well summed up I think. He will always struggle when the real pubicity is turned on him. There also used to be and I think there still is a post of "Minister for London". It's not a post in its own right but is usually given to a senior minister but not secretary of state. I'd like to see the whole ministers for the regions things beefed up so that each area of the country has someone properly engaged to pursue their interests in Westminster. Boris would obviously be a candidate to do that as an MP for London.

Think they got rid of the regional ministers when the rdas got the chop

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Think they got rid of the regional ministers when the rdas got the chop

The regional ministers were a separate entity but i'm sure you're right. The RDAs were scrapped because Pickles won an early political fight with Cable in the coalition. But I think the idea of regional ministers is one that might resurface in the future.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great documentary on Britain's most popular politician on BBC2 just now.

What would Labour do to have someone of his charisma in their ranks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here