Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Book recommendation

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Given your username, I will recommend the crime series by the Italian crime writer Michele Giuttari. However, they are based in Firenze rather than Milano.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Given your username, I will recommend the crime series by the Italian crime writer Michele Giuttari. However, they are based in Firenze rather than Milano.

Just finished Jean Claude Izzo's Marseille crime noir trilogy (well worth a read) - might give the first of these a try!

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I thoroughly recommend "A Quiet Belief in Angels" by RJ Ellory. A thoroughly gripping ripping yarn and also beautifully written.
In stark contrast to Peter James who has the ability to write a ripping yarn but is an appalling writer.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Raymond Chandler. The rest are pale imitations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m looking for some suggestions of a new page turner for upcoming holiday please.
Preferably a decent crime thriller but not Peter James!

MW Craven. The Puppet Show. Absolutely stunning (and then you can read Black Summer, and The Curator, from the same series, and then Born in a Burial Gown, the first pf a parallel series).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit of a cliche maybe, but the trilogy of the late Stieg Larsson? In order. Starting with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Pretty much the Scando equivalent of Peter James, nothing too deep, nothing too meaningful. Perfick holiday read I'd say

Nothing too deep? Did you skim read them? Pretty harrowing stuff there ???

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Don Winslow’s ‘Cartel’ trilogy, starting with Power of the dog, followed by The Cartel, and rounded off by The Border.

Stunning story telling, it’ll take you longer than a 2 week holiday to read all 3, but, my goodness, they are worth the time to read.

Half way through 'Power of the Dog' - fantastic read and loosely based on true events, highly recommended.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Currently reading Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club. An excellent one-off holiday read.

I thought that book was an excellent read, funny and touching at the same time and a really good whodunnit which kept me guessing till the end.

2nd book out next month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here