Boko Haram 'joins Islamic State'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I can do what the **** I like, it's an internet thread not a hostage negotiation.

Oh easy tiger.. I'm out of here

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We are exporting terrorists to join them, you think none of them will come back?

About 320 of the 700 who have gone over for the jihad have returned according to the government. So yes, i would say this is a war on many fronts. And Boko saying they are joining isn't a media hype, its what they have allegedly said. Not sure anyone is panicking, just observing another development.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whilst many of the Middle East countries are stepping up to fight IS on their doorstep in Iraq, I can see a reason to intervene, with ground troops in Nigeria, but only under a United Nations flag.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Of course the propaganda reaches everywhere when our mainstream media laps it up and blows it out of all proportion prolifically and on a daily basis. It even seems to glorify the terrorists by giving them memorable pseudonyms like "Jihadi John", "White Widow" and so on - then detailing every gruesome detail of their atrocities.

Oh dear, a few "memorable pseudonyms" and the "gruesome detail of their atrocities" worries and concerns you does it. Most are more concerned by the gruesome atrocities than the way they are put down in the media.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The first criteria is to be a savage.

Secondly.... regard all females as 2nd class citizens...preferably 3rd class.

Thirdly....ready to blame everyone else for your total inadequacies.

Oh.........and believe in some nutter known as Allah.

Expertise with a crayon and paper would be very useful, as they haven't yet been able to draw a picture of him yet.

Think that should do it for a start.

On a serious note, pledging to the Kalifate means and obligation to obey the Kalif, al-bagdadi. So if he says attack all brits on sight thats what his minions in Boko harem and sympathisers in the UK ar Obliged to do.

Seeing as al-baghdadi has already said via a spokesman to kill all infidels in the west "smash their heads with rocks, poison them, run them down" it just ups the probability of a slaughter in the UK.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I can do what the **** I like, it's an internet thread not a hostage negotiation.

If your arguing with me consider it a hostage to intelligence type situation and start grovelling like you have Stockholm syndrome Nipple.:lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What I'm trying to explain is that the mainstream media is disproportionately reporting on and sensationalising the atrocities being committed by Jihadists, almost in a manner which is glorifying them and reinforcing their propaganda - and this in turn is creating a mass hysteria where the public is irrationally fearful of an extremely improbable threat.

Aside from it all being distinctly useful for their recruitment by exacerbating a socially harmful cultural divide, this particularly bothers me because it distracts the public from issues that are even more important, as well as discouraging them from seeing the bigger picture and understanding the greater narrative.

Are people in a state of mass hysteria? The only one I can see around here getting in a fuzz about it all is you. Most people, contrary to your claims, don't give much of a shit past who won Britain's got The next X Factor . You're getting yourself worked up over nought. Where is this hysteria, past a couple of Daily Mail style sensationalist headlines ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What I'm trying to explain is that the mainstream media is disproportionately reporting on and sensationalising the atrocities being committed by Jihadists.

Really, seems that you are making excuses.
As for "disproportionately reporting on and sensationalising the atrocities", most of the brutality and sickening evidence is kept out of the media with videos being banned or too sickening to be shown.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are exporting terrorists to join them, you think none of them will come back?

this is the important question, not what IS is doing overseas. depends on their motivation and how the experience affects them. some will come back disillusioned with the cause, some invigorated... though if this is the case why come back? people like to speculate its to create a fifth column, what we know is there has been no actions in this country thus far. for all the deplorable actions of IS, they have all been within their "borders". lets recall that groups where training in Afganistan for the purpose of attacking western interests for best part of a decade, with only a handfull of actual actions.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Of course the propaganda reaches everywhere when our mainstream media laps it up and blows it out of all proportion prolifically and on a daily basis. It even seems to glorify the terrorists by giving them memorable pseudonyms like "Jihadi John", "White Widow" and so on - then detailing every gruesome detail of their atrocities.

There are far more pressing issues that are a considerably greater threat to Britons than Jihadists - including climate change, inequality, drug laws and so on - but they are largely ignored because there is a selective narrative that is led by world governments, the mainstream media and corporate interests.

There are many things more likely to harm the average Briton than IS, but they get talked about too. This discussion is not about road safety or depression though, it is about IS, Boko Haram and other Jihadist groups.

You say, nothing to worry about, it's all happening 3000 miles away. I say it is happening here too. A classmate of my daughter lost his Dad last year when his Dad blew himself up in Iraq. A guy similar age to me that went to a neighbouring school was convicted of plotting to cause explosions at the airport. There have been boys from Brighton who have gone to Syria to fight, as part of an Al-Qaida group.
Tell me they left to join the fight because of mainstream media news, proclamations from government or some corporate backed promotion.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Are people in a state of mass hysteria? The only one I can see around here getting in a fuzz about it all is you. Most people, contrary to your claims, don't give much of a shit past who won Britain's got The next X Factor . You're getting yourself worked up over nought. Where is this hysteria, past a couple of Daily Mail style sensationalist headlines ?

i understand about knowing the reality of the threat and separating that from media excesses, but at the same time blowing up tube trains and beheading british soldiers in London is pretty real.

I am sure no one thought at the time of Bloody Sunday that brighton would be subject to one of the most notorious incidences of the troubles.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
this is the important question, not what IS is doing overseas. depends on their motivation and how the experience affects them. some will come back disillusioned with the cause, some invigorated... though if this is the case why come back? people like to speculate its to create a fifth column, what we know is there has been no actions in this country thus far. for all the deplorable actions of IS, they have all been within their "borders". lets recall that groups where training in Afganistan for the purpose of attacking western interests for best part of a decade, with only a handfull of actual actions.

Only a handful of actions got through, many attacks have been stopped.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i understand about knowing the reality of the threat and separating that from media excesses, but at the same time blowing up tube trains and beheading british soldiers in London is pretty real.

I am sure no one thought at the time of Bloody Sunday that brighton would be subject to one of the most notorious incidences of the troubles.

Quite.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
What I'm trying to explain is that the mainstream media is disproportionately reporting on and sensationalising the atrocities being committed by Jihadists, almost in a manner which is glorifying them and reinforcing their propaganda - and this in turn is creating a mass hysteria where the public is irrationally fearful of an extremely improbable threat.

Aside from it all being distinctly useful for their recruitment by exacerbating a socially harmful cultural divide, this particularly bothers me because it distracts the public from issues that are even more important, as well as discouraging them from seeing the bigger picture and understanding the greater narrative.

More sensationalism of ISIS antics in todays DM :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ian-troops-cruelly-paraded-streets-cages.html

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
IS are only 60m away from EU borders - they want Jihad and they want as many countries involved as possible - If anyone thinks this is just going to go away if we keep out of it they are very foolish.

Get in now on the ground and destroy ISIS before they carry out any more atrocities.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The IS are very real, but the perceived threat is greatly exaggerated as we are constantly bombarded with stories of their atrocities 3,000 miles away. The reality is that they are not a threat to anyone apart from the poor souls living in the Middle East.

Really, just take this one for example.
Video: THAILAND: Muslims behead a 9-year-old boy (WARNING: Graphic Images)

Bare Naked Islam 1 June 2011
Then they hanged or beheaded the rest of his family. Yet another example of Muslim on Buddhist violence in a country where Muslims are only a small minority. Live Leak - More than than 4000 people from police and teachers to monks and children have been killed in the past 7 years by Muslims in southern Thailand, but hardly a word in the mainstream media.
http://europenews.dk/en/node/43892

Buddhism in Thailand – Around 90% of Thailand’s population is Buddhist of the Theravada school. However, Islam is dominant in southern Thailand and today you have a major civil war and Islamists want an independent state.
https://islamicpersecution.wordpress.com/tag/buddhists-beheaded-in-southern-thailand/

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

???

Isis marry 9 year olds. They have also just burned thousands of books. They need bombing out of existence, men, women and children. Whatever it takes. Kill 'em all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports