Boiler Estimates

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
Have just moved into my own place and I am getting all 'Handy Andy' and redecorating.
Big Problem: need a new boiler and the estimates have been sky high so far.
Any plumbers on here who can give me an honest quote??
:wave:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My family just had a new boiler fitted and it was in the thousands. They are not cheap. But it was a tricky job with extensive work as the boiler had to be relocated.

I could put you in touch with a builder I used to work for. He has been doing it for 40 years or so and he uses a very good plumber. They are not cowboys. Excellent work and I am sure they would be reasonable.

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Been quoted around £900 for a combi boiler, thats supply and fit.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
My mate has just fitted on for my nan and the boiler cost £375 and only charged £100 fitting fee as a favour. He said would usually have cost close to £900.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
bhafc4eva said:
My mate has just fitted on for my nan and the boiler cost £375 and only charged £100 fitting fee as a favour. He said would usually have cost close to £900.

Sounds like a nice friend! Is he a BHA fan by any chance wanting to do a favour for a poor old player? ;)

:lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we had a combi put in our loft. family freind did it, charged £250 ( there was a lot of plumbing to do to move and rearrange everything) and the combi unit was around £800, agian we got a good one and quite a big one (largeish 3 bed semi)

I have to say it works a treat and I think money well spent

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Race said:
Sounds like a nice friend! Is he a BHA fan by any chance wanting to do a favour for a poor old player? ;)

:lolol:

He is, unfortunately cant see him travelling to Southampton tho. Sorry :nono:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Race said:

I thought he was having a decent season
;)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
But you have always been an old boiler and cheap enough so should be no problems :p :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
virgirlo said:
they have just quoted me £2600! so not tooo good!

Have you got an old water tank ? You'll have to factor that into the costs, because they'll need to pull the old thing out.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
We replaced a back boiler with a combi, and replaced a couple of rads as well - £1500. Lots of work, the guy took out the back boiler, fireplace, etc, put more pipework in, fixed some cowboy snags from the previous resident, and then got his mate round to certify (not all gas guys are Corgi registered for private work - it costs too much, so one of them registers then charges his mates for certification). He works for a maintenance company during the week, uses their account for discount kit, and keeps the price down. He said to ask for two quotes from any other company - one for an expensive boiler, and one for a Biasi boiler - they are just as good, come with the warranty, etc, but can be half the price! He also said to never, ever, use British Gas!

We found our guy through word of mouth (via a plumber), and he did a superb job. Portsmouth area, which I suspect is no good for you.

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
clapham_gull said:
Have you got an old water tank ? You'll have to factor that into the costs, because they'll need to pull the old thing out.

i have been quoted £1800 by a friend of a friend, but it is really frustrating when you hear of people being charged mates rates of £1200 or less! :angry:

but thanks for the link anyway :wave:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
virgirlo said:
i have been quoted £1800 by a friend of a friend, but it is really frustrating when you hear of people being charged mates rates of £1200 or less! :angry:

but thanks for the link anyway :wave:

That cheap for London, I paid about £2,300 I think. You'll save yourself money in the long run. The new boilers are far more efficient, my bills went down straight away.

Last edited:

Key essentials:

Make sure the man/woman is Corgi registered, otherwise the guarantee on your boiler immediately becomes invalid.

Last year I put in a condensing combi boiler. Its the most energy efficient thing on the domestic market.

They cost more but you save more in bills.

If you're going to be the place for a few years I would recommend a Vailiant. All the top plumbers recommend them for reliability.

See link

http://heatandplumb.com/acatalog/vaillantcondesingcombi.html

If you're still around the 19 bus route, Plumbers world ( I think) that's the name at Highbury Barn is as good as anyone for price.

In addition, all East London Councils and I imagine Islington will, do a scheme, which subsidises the costs of putting in energy efficient boilers.

LC

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A bit of a tip. When they install it (and if they do a good job) ask if they can recommend a good plumber in the area in case you need one in the future.

Unfortunately London is the Wild West where plumbers are concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports