Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Crow has died

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn't like the fella (or at least his public persona) or what he stood for, or the misery he brought to commuters, even if he was doing what he thought was right, but I'm not going to either slag him off or celebrate his demise. He's far too young to have died and leaves family behind so only thoughts should really be with them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He was only leader of the RMT for 10 years. It will take a lot longer to unpick the utter mess the Tories have made of the privatising the railways. He was a union leader not a miracle worker. But he was moving in the right direction with worker's pay and I feel the railways are a lot safer now than when before he was elected; under his watch track maintenance was brought back in-house and the government took back one franchise. Small steps in the right direction IMHO.

The East Coast Main Line will be re-privatised before the end of this year.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Can't believe some of the really harsh comments on here.

He worked tirelessly for his members and from all the interviews I saw of him seemed like a nice down to earth bloke.

Many people (including those opposed to him) are full of admiration.

RIP Bob

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The public sector should get out in the real world and see how the real workers survive. The public sector is about greed.

You should watch the Evan Davies show "Mind The Gap" on BBC2 recently that stinking public sector economy in London creates 20% of the GDP for the whole of the UK.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You should watch the Evan Davies show "Mind The Gap" on BBC2 recently that stinking public sector economy in London creates 20% of the GDP for the whole of the UK.

I think you must have watched a different show to me - the money made by London is via Private Sector Service Industry, mostly Financial Services.

I'm sure the Tube Drivers etc. help out by getting these people to and from work but don't really see how they directly create any GDP?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you must have watched a different show to me - the money made by London is via Private Sector Service Industry, mostly Financial Services.

I'm sure the Tube Drivers etc. help out by getting these people to and from work but don't really see how they directly create any GDP?

Apologies you are correct, Private Sector.

But very interesting none the less.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As an outsider to his union and industry I didn't like him based on his media persona which I know is a shallow basis to form a judgement. He got a lot of flack for enjoying a sunshine break abroad whilst organising the tube strike misery in London, but my first thought was I'm glad he had a nice holiday before he died.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well, who knows? On that basis (taking nothing anyone says at face value), perhaps all those who cheered Thatcher's death and bought 'ding dong the witch is dead', were really sad and upset at the great woman passing, but just wanted to jump on the lefty bandwagon?
And had street parties...after all,she was only a woman who dragged this country out of the Union power grip and lost the country's 'Sick man of Europe tag'.
That said,As much as BC was a Luddite who wanted to halt progress and modernisation...a man has passed away at a young age and I wouldn't wish that on anyone,condolences to his family...RIP Bob.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies you are correct, Private Sector.

But very interesting none the less.

Those Evan Davis financial programs often are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here