Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blues Guitarists - recommendations please.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
This guy's a bit tasty & he's playing Worthing next week;

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Lots of random names here but not a lot of guidance.

You've started with some good'uns. Albert Collins is my all time favourite and BB King would be in my top 5.

Most similar to them to move on to next would be Buddy Guy.

Other real older style black bluesmen would be John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Bo Diddley. You could then go back to Robert Johnson to see how it all started. And Robert Cray is an interesting diversion with his own unique style.

However similar vintage white boy blues will also appeal. Clapton is the master, and John Mayall right up there. They led to Stevie Ray Vaughan - my second favourite after Albert Collins. The recently departed Johnny Winter is also great.

Then you can explore the modern guitar virtuosos. As noted here Joe Bonamassa is brilliant, and along with Derek Trucks (Tedeschi Trucks band) and Gary Clarke Jnr the current best of the bunch.

These plenty more - lots listed in this thread - but this is a more focused way to start exploring.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Going back to this thread after a couple of months I have to report that I saw a band called "King King" supporting John Mayall at the Hawth on Wednesday.
They are a superb band (as are John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) and are, I believe, playing at Worthing next year. They are well worth seeing

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Going back to this thread after a couple of months I have to report that I saw a band called "King King" supporting John Mayall at the Hawth on Wednesday.
They are a superb band (as are John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) and are, I believe, playing at Worthing next year. They are well worth seeing

I've seen King King several times and they are just about the best British blues band on the circuit at the moment. Guitarist/singer Alan Nimmo also plays with his brother Stevie as
The Nimmo Brothers and they are worth checking out too - as is Stevie's own band.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

where have you been hiding for the last few years if you've only just caught on to King King ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here