Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blues Guitarists - recommendations please.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Joe Bonamassa is a more modern Blues player- fantastic musician.

Also The John Mayer Trio (Not Mayer's usual soppy solo crap) are excellent

Joe Bonamassa, this man can play a guitar!

The guy is superb.

2 of my favourites

[YT]F1_6yCHnSI4[/YT]

[YT]EuuMnZLi5SU[/YT]

For the older generation - John Lee Hooker or Robert Johnson
For more modern - Joe Bonamassa or Gary Moore
and special mention for John Mayall

Many thanks for the recommendation for Joe Bonamassa. Can't believe I've never heard of the man or his music.

Thanks to Amazon Prime I'll have "Dust Bowl", "Blues Deluxe" and "Tour De Force - Royal Albert Hall" delivered tomorrow, and the opening track on the last album is "Albion":thumbsup:

Now to listen to the rest of the recommendations - cheers all!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Another vote for Bonamassa, his show in Brighton last year was one of the best I have ever seen. Plus Walter Trout, now sadly very ill but a superb bluesman. Clapton as well - his Sessions For Robert J. is well worth a listen. And for a punky take on the blues listen to Nine Below Zero Live At The Marquee.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Much of the above, but a special mention for Ry Cooder - made an album a couple of years ago called "Pull up some dust and sit down" which I love.

And if you fancy being adventurous, Ali Farka Toure was a Malian Blues Guitarist worth a listen. Ry Cooder actually sought him out and they made an album together called "Talking Timbuktu". which is excellent.

And anyone else interested in Tinariwen? World Music, but again basically Blues from Mali.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Another vote for Robert Cray. Brilliant guitarist and a great voice. I first came across him on Whistle Test years ago. I just can't understand why he has never become a household name. Have a listen to a few clips on I- tunes. Don't be afraid of the dark is a classic.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Cant believe nobody has mentioned the fabulous Roy Buchanan ! Sonny Landreth,the late Michael Burks, Tommy Castro, the late Stevie ray Vaughan (there's a box set of all his albums coming out next month for about £47) are all good.
Chris Rea produced an outstanding album set called Blue Guitars which is incredible value at £23 odd for 11 or 12 CDs. Link here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Guitar...8&qid=1411137710&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+guitars
One tip I would give you is to go on to the website of any blues festival and click on the name of a particular performer and that'll normally give you a link to their page.
I've been to the Tampa Blues Festival a few times and I know that their website does this and it's very useful
Here's a link to a UK based site : http://www.earlyblues.com/home eb festivals.htm#OtherFestivals
Enjoy

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Another vote for the 'Blues Power' show on Planet Rock which often unearths some less familiar gems. Paul Jones also does a decent Blues show on BBC R2. He helped to give Joe Bonamassa his first break in the UK.

Joe does cracking live shows and is due on tour early in 2015 - if you can get a ticket! Don't ever be late for his gigs as he often starts the show early, it's not unusual for him to warm up with a superb half hour acoustic set before going into his main electric show (as at Brighton last year), often running to 3 hours. Checkout 'India / Mountain Time' live at The Royal Albert Hall. 'I love more than you'll ever know' with Beth Hart on vocals is a cracker if you like slow(er) blues, she has a distinctive voice to compliment his guitar. Visually one of the most understated guitar players, Joe looks like he could just be the bloke next door!

Peter Green, JJ Cale, Eric Clapton, Albert Lee, Ry Cooder, Danny Bryant, and The Tedeschi Trucks Band (try 'Midnight in Harlem') all have their real blues moments too.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Gary Moore (RIP) ex Thin Lizzy

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Walter Trout
Ian Siegal
Larry Miller
Alan Nimmo
Buddy Guy
Aynsley Lister
Catfish keith
Kent Duchaine
Danny Bryant
Oli Brown
Elvin Bishop
Lonnie Mack
Johnny Winter
Michael Katon
Mark Selby

what he said adding
Simon McBride
Matt Shcofield
Dave Hole
depends a lot on your mood !!

have a listen to my 'Get On The Boogie Train' tonite 9.05pm x 11pm on www.abbey104.com , you'll get the general idea !!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Lots of stupendous blues artists already mentioned but try Elmore James, early John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy to get a real taste of classic early blues
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here