Southwick

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
fat-lady-singing-warning.jpg

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Yes. Yes it should. It's the only thing that counts in footballing terms. There's money for training grounds and hotels and the like, but Ashley Barnes is allowed to wander off in January for a relatively piddly rise in wages. So two or three clear-cut chances in the box per game have gone begging with nobody anywhere near to cash in on on them. That's just one example. Bridcutt? Murray? Bennett? With a relatively modest beefing up of the wage structure, we wouldn't have to be smuggling players into the Premier League one at a time. One day the penny will drop. I'm pretty sure Tony Bloom would quite like at least a Wembley play-off final sometime soon for his investment.

Barnes went cos they were more likely to go up
Bridcutt went to play in the Prem
Bennett as above
Murray only left because Poyet didn't want him

The problem is not financial, or the players, it's the tactical philosophy Garcia is employing. It is all about trying not to lose the game and not enough about trying to win it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there any sane reason why anybody's attempting to defend the club's decision not to invest properly in the playing side of the club?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
To be fair we've sold two of our best players for big money, and this money has not been reinvested into the playing squad.

We are weaker than last season, I don't know who's to blame - Bloom, Barber, Burke, whoever - but the fact remains that poor transfer activity this season has cost us.

Not reinvested?! THEY WERE SOLD AT THE END OF JANUARY! How could it be reinvested?

Jesus christ.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes. Yes it should. It's the only thing that counts in footballing terms. There's money for training grounds and hotels and the like, but Ashley Barnes is allowed to wander off in January for a relatively piddly rise in wages. So two or three clear-cut chances in the box per game have gone begging with nobody anywhere near to cash in on on them. That's just one example. Bridcutt? Murray? Bennett? With a relatively modest beefing up of the wage structure, we wouldn't have to be smuggling players into the Premier League one at a time. One day the penny will drop. I'm pretty sure Tony Bloom would quite like at least a Wembley play-off final sometime soon for his investment.

We did need a training ground. But the wider point is that I'm sure there was enough money to pay Ashley Barnes what he wanted, the club simply didn't think he was worth it and wanted to spend the money elsewhere. I disagree with them on that, but that's their prerogative. Likewise selling Bridcutt wasn't driven by finances, nor Bennett considering the money spent to replace him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To be fair we've sold two of our best players for big money, and this money has not been reinvested into the playing squad.

We are weaker than last season, I don't know who's to blame - Bloom, Barber, Burke, whoever - but the fact remains that poor transfer activity this season has cost us.

Panic buy on the final day of the transfer window you mean? That always works well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Is there any sane reason why anybody's attempting to defend the club's decision not to invest properly in the playing side of the club?
So the new rules on spending more than you receive won't apply to the Albion?

Should Tony invest more than is allowed we will be fined etc etc.

TB

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
but Ashley Barnes is allowed to wander off in January for a relatively piddly rise in wages.

I'm sure that if you offered to cover the piddly difference in wages he would still be here. So why didn't you ? I would guess is it because you are all talk and no action ???

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

There's no doubt that the club's policy is not to spend more money than they deem reasonable. They made a pretty paltry offer to Barnes, but that's what they decided he was worth. Grabban too I guess. We may disagree, I certainly do on Barnes, but recent football history is littered with clubs who gave stupid contracts to players and ended up paying the price. This is of course a different issue to not having enough money.

Anyway, the squad put together was capable of finishing 6th, despite pretty uninspiring management, so I reckon the issue isn't investment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We did need a training ground. But the wider point is that I'm sure there was enough money to pay Ashley Barnes what he wanted, the club simply didn't think he was worth it and wanted to spend the money elsewhere. I disagree with them on that, but that's their prerogative. Likewise selling Bridcutt wasn't driven by finances, nor Bennett considering the money spent to replace him.

We could probably have muddled along for the next hundred years without a training ground. You can practice (or rather not practice) your set pieces on any bit of grass. Nobody's advocating blowing head-mental amounts of money on players, but you should at least make half an attempt to retain the talent you have on your books. Until the club learn that lesson, it'll be more of the same.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Fact: You have to earn the right to play in the premiership.
Fact: We are not good enough.
Fact: We are not ready.

Save the arguments for next season in championship.

I thank you. :bowdown:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Clearly the Falmer expenditure has made it total heresy even to suggest that some decisions taken - on the playing side - by the club may not have been perfect and have left us weaker on the field than we recently were. I'd say those are valid points to discuss on here but maybe it's just me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here