Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom talks Poyet, Premier League ambitions, opting for Oscar and Barber's budget boost

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Bloom talks Poyet, Premier League ambitions, opting for Oscar and Barber's bu...

Great stuff as always Walt.

It looks as if Paul Barber is to the non playing staff what Ashley Barnes is to the playing staff.

Ha!! That's a great point, EP

Nice blog, WJ

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Good report, thanks to all involved.

What a great Chairman Tony Bloom is. He seems pretty open and honest. There is still so much to admire about how he goes about his business in a quiet, discrete but highly effective manner. He impresses me as a man of great integrity with The Albion in his heart. Reading between the lines I suspect he must have felt thoroughly betrayed when Poyet asked to leave just as we were on the brink of glory. I suspect that Tony is a chastened and more cautious man as a result, I can't blame him for that.

I like that he pops up from time to time in a variety of constructive situations whether its travelling to away games on public transport and happy to casually engage with fans or via meetings with local groups. We are lucky to have him especially when you think of some of the less gifted Chairmen that are around.

The original post is spot on and welcome. As are your comments regarding Tony Bloom. We are lucky, lucky lucky to have TB at the helm. He really hasn't put a foot wrong whilst leading us from the Withdean Wilderness. And not least with the appointments he's made.
I get seriously pizzed off with the handful of supposed supporters on here that seem to think that winning games is the only thing that matters. When in fact it hardly matters at all. Not that it's not nice it is, but let's get the important issues dealt with first.

I could take not getting promoted this season or next, maybe even never, knowing that the club is in such good hands and the Clubs future seems secure.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Question remains if Poyet wanted to leave 'as soon as possible', why didn't he take the Reading job when it was offered...?

I get the feeling Gus was trying (foolishly) to call Bloom's bluff - he wanted to stay and take us up but knew the budget was restricted and we'd reached the 'ceiling'.

What exactly do you perceive was TB's bluff? Are you suggesting that Poyet was not happy with the proposed 7% deduction in budget (as if any manager would be) and thought that was the bluff when in fact if was reality. I think going to Reading who were doomed would be an own goal when his stated ambition was to manage in the Premier league.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The original post is spot on and welcome. As are your comments regarding Tony Bloom. We are lucky, lucky lucky to have TB at the helm. He really hasn't put a foot wrong whilst leading us from the Withdean Wilderness. And not least with the appointments he's made.
I get seriously pizzed off with the handful of supposed supporters on here that seem to think that winning games is the only thing that matters. When in fact it hardly matters at all. Not that it's not nice it is, but let's get the important issues dealt with first.

I could take not getting promoted this season or next, maybe even never, knowing that the club is in such good hands and the Clubs future seems secure.

I don't think getting promoted is either the be all and end all or our divine right. It's nice to win a few though as I don't think League 1 is in Tony and Paul's plans! Palace will barely win this season and will have an absolutely miserable season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What exactly do you perceive was TB's bluff? Are you suggesting that Poyet was not happy with the proposed 7% deduction in budget (as if any manager would be) and thought that was the bluff when in fact if was reality. I think going to Reading who were doomed would be an own goal when his stated ambition was to manage in the Premier league.

Not TB's bluff, Poyet's. I meant that Gus knew that the budget was going to be reduced and threw a bit of a hissy fit and said he wanted to leave, hoping it might force TB's hand into improving the playing budget. Gus obviously wanted to manage in the Premier League and to take us there, but when it seemed to him it was going to be a very difficult task given the budget, he threw his toys out of the pram. It fits with him hinting that the ceiling had been reached.

But although they seemed already doomed, I am still surprised he turned down the Reading job - especially seeing as they apparently offered him double the money and a massive bonus if he kept them up. He would also have known they would stand a better chance of getting promoted the following season than us. Yet despite that, he decided to stay.

I still think we don't know the full truth about exactly what happened - and maybe we never will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not TB's bluff, Poyet's. I meant that Gus knew that the budget was going to be reduced and threw a bit of a hissy fit and said he wanted to leave, hoping it might force TB's hand into improving the playing budget. Gus obviously wanted to manage in the Premier League and to take us there, but when it seemed to him it was going to be a very difficult task given the budget, he threw his toys out of the pram. It fits with him hinting that the ceiling had been reached.

But although they seemed already doomed, I am still surprised he turned down the Reading job - especially seeing as they apparently offered him double the money and a massive bonus if he kept them up. He would also have known they would stand a better chance of getting promoted the following season than us. Yet despite that, he decided to stay.

I still think we don't know the full truth about exactly what happened - and maybe we never will.

I'm pretty certain the Reading issue wasn't as simple as merely Gus turning it down.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Good read and very reassuring and was also good to get a few things clarified too, thank you.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

What?

I go to watch football to see my team win games of football, not to gaze lovingly at a football stadium or to sit there in a smug self satisfaction that my football club is financially secure.

What a very strange thing to say.

So to take your logic, if winning games do not matter, you will be happy if we get relegated and end up with 12,000 people dotting around the Amex?

If I am one of those people who you so despise! then good for you

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All good and well but of course we have only heard one side of the story. It could all be true but until Poyet has his say I will not make my mind up. Whose to say the introduction of Barber made Poyet so unsettled and pissed off he started to want out hence the call in March. Just another viewpoint.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
What?

I go to watch football to see my team win games of football, not to gaze lovingly at a football stadium or to sit there in a smug self satisfaction that my football club is financially secure.

What a very strange thing to say.

So to take your logic, if winning games do not matter, you will be happy if we get relegated and end up with 12,000 people dotting around the Amex?

If I am one of those people who you so despise! then good for you

I understand what you're saying, but....

I've seen our club get relegated
I've seen our club nearly go out of business

I know which of the two I really don't want to see again

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
All good and well but of course we have only heard one side of the story. It could all be true but until Poyet has his say I will not make my mind up. Whose to say the introduction of Barber made Poyet so unsettled and pissed off he started to want out hence the call in March. Just another viewpoint.

Nope - you must blindly trust your Chief Executive.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

One person continually whored himself about with regular monotony, handed in his notice on the day of a massive game, refused to deal with the retained list and told players that he was off, regardless, prior to the club's biggest game in years verses the other who has pumped in over £130 Million for a stadium, infrastructure and to keep the keep functioning on gates of <6000 at times, has invested another £35 Million for a training academy to ensure the future of the club.

I know who stays on my Christmas/Hanukah Card List.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
ps: The introduction of Barber seems to be EXACTLY what was needed to curb Poyet's spending desires.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here