Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom talks Poyet, Premier League ambitions, opting for Oscar and Barber's budget boost

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Bloom talks Poyet, Premier League ambitions, opting for Oscar and Barber's bu...

I wasn't actually trying to be snidey. I was just offering up corrections as a free of charge proofreader.

I think the write up is very good. Just a couple of simple mistakes that slipped under the radar which I'm flagging up for the sake of having them corrected.

I mean no malice!

So why didn't you PM him?

100% snidey

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I enjoyed that blog. Nice one Walt, very well written.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Good work, enjoyed it.

We are very lucky to have TB, make no mistake about that

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Question remains if Poyet wanted to leave 'as soon as possible', why didn't he take the Reading job when it was offered...?

I get the feeling Gus was trying (foolishly) to call Bloom's bluff - he wanted to stay and take us up but knew the budget was restricted and we'd reached the 'ceiling'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good content there, I agree with your views on Poyet too, glad to see there's unity between Bloom, Barber, Burke and Oscar.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Good report, thanks to all involved.

What a great Chairman Tony Bloom is. He seems pretty open and honest. There is still so much to admire about how he goes about his business in a quiet, discrete but highly effective manner. He impresses me as a man of great integrity with The Albion in his heart. Reading between the lines I suspect he must have felt thoroughly betrayed when Poyet asked to leave just as we were on the brink of glory. I suspect that Tony is a chastened and more cautious man as a result, I can't blame him for that.

I like that he pops up from time to time in a variety of constructive situations whether its travelling to away games on public transport and happy to casually engage with fans or via meetings with local groups. We are lucky to have him especially when you think of some of the less gifted Chairmen that are around.

DanielT

Question remains if Poyet wanted to leave 'as soon as possible', why didn't he take the Reading job when it was offered...?

I get the feeling Gus was trying (foolishly) to call Bloom's bluff - he wanted to stay and take us up but knew the budget was restricted and we'd reached the 'ceiling'.

Sunderland job was available but need instant action. Di Canio got appointed a week later. Reading were as good as sunk but Sunderland were able to be saved

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Good report, thanks to all involved.

What a great Chairman Tony Bloom is. He seems pretty open and honest. There is still so much to admire about how he goes about his business in a quiet, discrete but highly effective manner. He impresses me as a man of great integrity with The Albion in his heart. Reading between the lines I suspect he must have felt thoroughly betrayed when Poyet asked to leave just as we were on the brink of glory. I suspect that Tony is a chastened and more cautious man as a result, I can't blame him for that.

I like that he pops up from time to time in a variety of constructive situations whether its travelling to away games on public transport and happy to casually engage with fans or via meetings with local groups. We are lucky to have him especially when you think of some of the less gifted Chairmen that are around.

I was about to pen my thoughts on that excellent article (thanks very much for putting it up OP) but you've pretty much covered my thoughts. Lucky we are indeed, TB will surely go down in The Albion's history as one of the all time greats, no mistake.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Bloom talks Poyet, Premier League ambitions, opting for Oscar and Barber's bu...

From the way TB spoke about it Tuesday night there was no hint of calling TBs bluff he made it pretty clear Gus wanted out at the soonest opportunity, what he had lined up we don't know but my guess is like most he knew Reading were Championship bound and he truly thought he was only good enough for the Premiership. My impression from the way TB spoke was that the relationship was never as cosy as we thought on a personal level.

Good write up of the evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good content there, I agree with your views on Poyet too, glad to see there's unity between Bloom, Barber, Burke and Oscar.

I need that to be:-

Bloom, Barber, Burke and Boscar.

But then again im a little weird.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Great stuff, though I bet the Barber haters wont like some of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here