Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom: Let's Make It Special for Kuipers

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Not having a pop at the man himself and as posted above, he is pretty well off by most standards. I have only been trying to gauge whether it was known for sure what was happening with the proceeds,following posts on this point made elsewhere on a topic calling for more support from the north stand. One I recall stated it was common sense not to go if it wasn't for a good cause. Perhaps I should have left it at the question itself rather than my latter comment which, on reflection, I can see has caused most of the replies! Appreciate the number of reasoned responses, being an NSC newbie, not so much those whose initial reaction is trite remarks!

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
If you can't afford it then fair enough, but don't have a pop at him.

I was a season ticket holder at Withdean for 5 years, and I'm going to show my support for someone that contributed massively to our success during these times, which is why when people say only 7000 tickets have been sold, the 7000 people that are going are the ones that went to Withdean.

What Michel does with his money, and I hope he gets every penny, is up to him, he's an Albion supporter, and not many players that put on the Blue & White stripes can say that, he gave 10 years to our club through very tough times, and would have stayed for longer, had Poyet let him.

If like me you were at Southend when Adams subbed him at half time on his debut, then you'd be there on Tuesday.

Thanks Michel, enjoy Tuesday, and thanks for everything. :albion2:

Spot on!

I echo your sentiments and will be there with my younger son on Tuesday, also STH's for 5 years at Withdean, to pay tribute to Michel for his enthusiasm, service and dedication to the club.

Not wishing to add fuel to the "JCL" fire but any fan with an understanding and appreciation of a player like Michel's contribution during his tenure at the club wouldn't feel the need to question the appropriation of the funds amassed at his forthcoming testimonial.

If you don't wish to contribute, don't come.

END.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm happy i chose to watch Saturday's game on my computer and will turn up physically on Tuesday to say thank you to Michel for all the years he spent with us. The chap's a legend. I love the mention of "chef" in his song and he deserves a half in our current side to show a glimpse of our gratitude for what he helped us achieve in our most financially miserable times. Should be a brilliant night out. I won't get the chance again to offer such praise to the former dutch marine.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Genuine Brighton and Hove Albion legend. THE player of the Withdean era, having been there for almost all of it. And an abaolute Gent. I'll not ever find a bad word to say about him, apart from his debut which is legendary in its own special way.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I am going to the match on Tuesday it will be my first visit to the Amex, health problems means I can't go regularly but I decided this was a great match to choose as my first experience. I hope it will be a great evening.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Some great posts above. The word 'legend' is over-used but Michel Kuipers personifies the word. An absolute gent with blue and white blood running through his body. I usually don't bother with testimonials, but this is a must-attend fixture in my book. Michel deserves a 20k+ crowd lifting the roof for him.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
This guy come over as a foreign player and took brighton to his heart, and stayed with us for 10 years he has left the club since and still a footballer for Crawley but still does work for our community program and does a lot for the club behind closed doors, i think Kuipers deserves it massively, also he loves the club, he isnt one of these ultra rich guys and just played for us for the money he generally loves Brighton as he stated if cut him he would bleed blue and white.
He deserves a packed stadium im going and delighted to choose this game ahead of the chelsea game, (which i watched on tv anyway) as got season ticket and decided to do one friendly, kuipers deserves the praise and to feel what like to play at the Amex.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If some morons think Michel is loaded they are very much mistaken. He lives in a modest Semi in Haywards Heath, no bigger or better than most houses in town. Having grown up with Michel in goal I will be attendance on Tuesday celebrating his fantastic 10 years at the club which included 2 of our most memorable seasons. Hope to see a lot of other people there too.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
If only he had been given the Chelsea game ...... ah well

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think Kuipers is pretty well off by the standards of most people.

I'm sure he's not skint but he's got another 25 years of his working life to get through so one final payday won't do any harm. In any case, what's the big deal? £15's not an unreasonable amount to pay to watch Albion play a proper first team friendly against Premier League opponents so nobody's being ripped off. It seems odd to me that anyone would begrudge Kuipers getting the money after he gave such sterling service to the club. It smacks of envy. Even if he was rich enough to never need to work again, I'd still be happy to give him my £15. He had a talent, worked bloody hard for 20 years to make the most of it, sacrificed his social and family life along the way and made something of himself. He's not some overpaid office manager sitting on his arse awarding himself and his lackeys undeserved bonuses and pay rises - they're the ones I resent getting rich. Good luck to the bloke.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Careful, you'll get sued for false advertising - it is Reading we're playing in this match you know! 'Premier League' in the very loosest sense imaginable :)

Errmm. They're in the Premier League and were Champions of our division last season. I know what you're saying but they're very worthy opponents.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm sure he's not skint but he's got another 25 years of his working life to get through so one final payday won't do any harm. In any case, what's the big deal? £15's not an unreasonable amount to pay to watch Albion play a proper first team friendly against Premier League opponents so nobody's being ripped off. It seems odd to me that anyone would begrudge Kuipers getting the money after he gave such sterling service to the club. It smacks of envy. Even if he was rich enough to never need to work again, I'd still be happy to give him my £15. He had a talent, worked bloody hard for 20 years to make the most of it, sacrificed his social and family life along the way and made something of himself. He's not some overpaid office manager sitting on his arse awarding himself and his lackeys undeserved bonuses and pay rises - they're the ones I resent getting rich. Good luck to the bloke.

Yup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here