Bloom: Let's Make It Special for Kuipers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
"Tony Bloom today led the tributes to Albion's former Dutch marine Michel Kuipers, ahead of his testimonial match against Reading on Tuesday night.

The Albion chairman says he hopes fans will pack the stadium to honour the ex-Seagulls keeper as he steps out for his deserved Amex debut.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "It's our first testimonial match at the new stadium. It is fitting we honour one of those players who enjoyed such a successful career with the club during the Withdean years.

"Michel helped us win two championships, one further promotion and produced a catalogue of great saves. We all have our own memories of the former Dutch marine, and our favourite saves. For me, his breathtaking double stop against Wolves, in front of the Sky Sports cameras, is a personal favourite.

"During his ten seasons as a Seagull Michel competed with a host of top keepers: cup winners, internationals, some top talent, but ever ready for a battle for the place between the sticks, he fought off some terrific competition for the number one position."

Bloom added, "I know he is most happy about being able to play at the Amex. Deep down Michel is now one of us and he will get an enormous buzz from coming out of the tunnel onto the pitch.

"Like so many fans, he was a big part of the campaign to get permission for the stadium, joining in the rallies and marches and helping us get the support of the local community and decision makers.

"During his ten years the stadium was always on the horizon, so it is going to be an emotional night for him to get the chance to step out on the Amex pitch." :albion2:

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Do we know for sure where the money is going? A good cause I would be more sympathetic to and would consider going, despite it being midweek etc, but if it's lining his back pocket, regardless of what he has done for the club, forget it!

Jan 21, 2012
Do we know for sure where the money is going? A good cause I would be more sympathetic to and would consider going, despite it being midweek etc, but if it's lining his back pocket, regardless of what he has done for the club, forget it!

Don't go then...tool!!!

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath

Thats the idea of testimonial's to give whoever a nice payday. happen's in most sports. It's a way of the club/fans to say thank you

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Thats the idea of testimonial's to give whoever a nice payday. happen's in most sports. It's a way of the club/fans to say thank you

And I accept that. My opinion comes from whether he actually needs the money in a time where, I am supposing, modern day footballers don't need it. Have seen a number of testimonials where the monies set the player up nicely (many moons ago) and think it would be a defeat gesture to donate the proceeds to a good cause, as I'm sure many others have done I recent times.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex

My guess is you have no clue who Michel is and this is your second year of watching...you have no idea!!!!

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
And I accept that. My opinion comes from whether he actually needs the money in a time where, I am supposing, modern day footballers don't need it. Have seen a number of testimonials where the monies set the player up nicely (many moons ago) and think it would be a defeat gesture to donate the proceeds to a good cause, as I'm sure many others have done I recent times.

It's like a footballer's pension really. Well that was the original idea anyway. But like you say i'm sure there have been a few player#s that have donated some of their testimonial money to a good cause, upto the player at the end of the day though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Oh. Dear.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
My guess is you have no clue who Michel is and this is your second year of watching...you have no idea!!!!

Not at all. STH holder at Withdean for five years and at the Amex still. So whilst not as long in the tooth as many others here, I'm far from a newbie to the club, it's history and what the FDM did for our club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Sure he doesn't need it, like I'm sure the £50,000 a week he's on is enough, TWAT.

That crafty FDM, being all bloody nice and that at half-time, trying to trick another fifteen smackers out of my poor impoverished pockets.He nearly got me too. You`ve had enough from me Michel, do you hear me, ENOUGH!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
That crafty FDM, being all bloody nice and that at half-time, trying to trick another fifteen smackers out of my poor impoverished pockets.He nearly got me too. You`ve had enough from me Michel, do you hear me, ENOUGH!

😄 noted!

Couldn't make it to all pre season for family, work, money reasons so just yesterday and Swindon for me.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

You're presumably thinking of players like Ryan Giggs donating testimonial proceeds to charity. There is no comparison to a man like Michel who wouldn't earn in a year what those players collect in a fortnight. Any Albion fan who can afford it really should show their support at this one. He deserves it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think Kuipers is pretty well off by the standards of most people.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I guess you're also assuming he is going to break even on this.

But in the great scheme of things, it's not everyone's cup of tea to turn out to say thanks for his endeavours - when he wants to say thanks to everyone else as well.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

If you were talking about Ryan Giggs, I would agree but this is Kuipers FFS!

I appreciate that you are a newbie but do you really think he is on thousands a week?

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
If you can't afford it then fair enough, but don't have a pop at him.

I was a season ticket holder at Withdean for 5 years, and I'm going to show my support for someone that contributed massively to our success during these times, which is why when people say only 7000 tickets have been sold, the 7000 people that are going are the ones that went to Withdean.

What Michel does with his money, and I hope he gets every penny, is up to him, he's an Albion supporter, and not many players that put on the Blue & White stripes can say that, he gave 10 years to our club through very tough times, and would have stayed for longer, had Poyet let him.

If like me you were at Southend when Adams subbed him at half time on his debut, then you'd be there on Tuesday.

Thanks Michel, enjoy Tuesday, and thanks for everything. :albion2:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm going ....not bothered about other peoples reasons for not going that's there right...I'm looking forward to a relaxing evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports