Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody gout.... any advice from fellow sufferers?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's back. I am so unbelievably upset with this whole ****ing situation.

I had an attack in my foot and ankle that lasted for 11 ****ing days. The Naproxen they prescribed did **** all but stop me taking a dump for days on end with constipation. So I raided my medicine cupboard for some diclofenac that I've always had in stock. And that's done **** all either.

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and convinced her to prescribe allopurinol and colchicine. I've taken my first allo this morning and its started another ******* ****er of an attack in my ankle again and also my elbow, which is currently twice the size it normally is.

I've been told that I can't take any other kind of painkiller with the colchicine (which is supposedly supposed to hold off gout when starting allo. I've been told to take 2 colc straight away and one every 3 hours until pain subsides or diarrhoea/vomiting occurs.

I can't even twitch my toes or fingers without severe pain so now I'm camped out on the sofa so I can groan in agony whilst she tries to get some kip in bed upstairs.

To top it all off my boss has said he won't pay me for being off work and I'm going to Turkey in 2 weeks for a holiday. This couldn't be more ****ing timely could it.

I'm 34 and I feel like my body is failing me already.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
@spongy I feel your pain mate, honestly.
I was told that when starting on allopurinal, you need to have been pain free for 3 weeks or as you have discovered the pills can trigger another attack.
Be very careful with the colchicine as I believe that 2 x 500mg per day is maximum dosage and only take them for 6 days, tops. Diclofenac should be the 3 times per day pill, alongside taking omeprazole.
This is not what a doctor would tell you to do but when I'm in severe pain with gout, I take a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda in a pint of water. This can help with pain relief.
I would call your GP for more advice. If your still not happy with what they have to say then call in at the hospital.
Good luck matey

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The colchicine I've been given is 50 micrograms, not mg. every 3 hours, but I'm on a time limit here because of my holiday. I'm not spending £650 to spend a week confined to a room in turkey with gout. I've accepted the fact that I might not be able to afford the rent next month when this absence from work is over. I have the gut wrenching feeling that I might have to just ride this out for the next 2 weeks and hope the allo starts working pretty quickly.

The doctor said that the allo will reduce the uric acid and the colchicine was supposed to stave off an attack by dealing with crystals that are formed by the allo.

It hasn't worked out that way.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Allo and colchicine don't work for me. Ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist. Do you know what your Uric acid levels actually are?
And yes, get on the cherries big time and as a plus they are easily available at the moment

Ps. If you have any annual leave left then your firm are legally bound to let you take it while your off sick so you would still get paid even if you have to sacrifice any holiday entitlement. This info can be found on the gov website. Can't link as I'm on tapatalk to type.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There will be light at the end of the tunnel mate ,I know it doesnt seem like it at the moment .Once the pain dies down (and it will) and you get on a regular treatment regime you will be able to manage it .I have regular checks and blood tests at the Rheumatology unit so it is kept under control.Like I said before ,plenty of water to flush your system .Best of British to you mate.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have some cherry concentrate glucosamine stuff I got from Holland and Barrett when all this started, it doesn't seem to be helping. I'll ask her to buy some cherries on her way home from work today for me, but I'm tied to the sofa at the minute unable to walk on my ankle or move my arm so driving anywhere is impossible.

The last of my annual leave is tied up with the holiday coming up. Apart from 4 days in September I have booked, I've been considering cancelling that and using it now but the thought of working through from July to Christmas without a break doesn't really appeal to me. I have yet to decide properly how I want to play this out, my boss is a hard nosed git and with him it's all about the money money money. He doesn't give a toss about us, the people who make him his money.

I have to phone the docs at 8.30 this morning to get an emergency appt which I might have to do over the phone. I'm too tired to think at the minute I only slept between 3 and 5.30 this morning. If I can get to the hospital later I will do and beg them to drain my ankle and elbow.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
You have my sympathies too....from someone who gets an attack probably once per year. I still don't know what triggers it for me. The last attack was in the middle of a fitness regime of healthy food (low in purines) and regular exercise. I seem to survive a drinking binge and rich foods with no problems so it's a lottery in my experience.
All i will say is that when i feel the first twinge in my big toe I start popping the strongest pain killer/anti-inflammatory's I can get over the counter, drink water and then more water, and interestingly the only thing that seems to relieve the pain once it properly arrives is to sit with my foot in a bucket of cold water!

Really hope you manage to control this awful affliction which i've endured, albeit to a lesser extent, since i was age 32.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
As has been said; you are not meant to take the Allopurinal when you are having an attack, but you need to get the inflammation down so that you can start it, and to be free of pain. I havent had it in one particular joint for several years now, but I used to get it worse in the ball of my big toe (maybe because I brioke it once and it attacks a weak joint). I used to be prescribed Diclofenac which turned my guts inside out, so I then got given colchicine. They both worked, but what worked quickly and best for me was Arcoxia. That cleared it up within 3 days but it was noticably better in a day.

By the way I was first awarded gout on my 27th birthday. At times I had uric acid levels up in the 900s and was on does of allopurinal of 400g a day. I still take it at 300g a day and get my uric acid measured every year. It was 500 and something last time.

I cut out red wine and cut down on drinking stuff like stout, porter and old.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've started suffering again this afternoon, I have stopped the allopurinol and concentrated on the colchicine today, one every 3 hours until pain stops or nausea/vomiting/diarrhoea occur as per doctors instructions.

I have spent since 4pm curled in a ball on the sofa with stomach cramps and the worst diarrhoea I have ever had in my life so Ive stopped taking the colchicine.

If the cramps and diarrhoea persist I am going to phone NHS direct. I have never ever experienced a side effect to a drug like this before, the gout doesn't seem to hurt as much but I think it's because I'm now concentrating so much on not shitting myself.:shootself:shootself

It looks like I'm just going to have to deal with the glucosamine tablets and ibuprofen until it settles down.

All I can now say is that I am going to be making some severe lifestyle changes which somehow going to have to include not drinking so much, I'm not a heavy drinker in an every day drinker but I like to get pissed on weekends and at the football etc.

I shall ride this out as best I can, hope for the best on my holiday and see what my blood test results are on my return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here