Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody gout.... any advice from fellow sufferers?

Just to thank everyone so much for all their experiences and advice. You have helped more than I can say. Just love NSC at times like this.

Another vote for cherries and cherry juice.

My gout left me incapable of walking, most painful thing I've ever had, NSC suggested cherry's and despite my reservations it bloody works.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
my brother had it awful in his feet and he did a tin tin of Morello Cherries every day and it cleared it up, he also said the pain was relieved as soon as he had the cherries

Good luck with it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I get it very very rarely now but stay away from foods like peas, broccoli etc as these are foods containing purines also offal
Liver , Kidney. Colchicine tablets are really good and also fresh cherries or cherry juice.
It's the most painful damn thing ever I feel for you mate !
Most peopl think its an old mans disease but I know one or two young lady's that have this now too.
And a lot of people also don't realise it is actually an arthritic condition full name Gouty Arthritis.
Ouch !!!! Not nice , good luck.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Been suffering for several years but the last few months have been terrible. The attacks used to come infrequently but now they are almost weekly and spreading to my knees, hand(see attached) and elbow as well as the normal very painful feet.

The doc advised a drug called Alopurinol, as a daily preventative measure but I've been told I need to be free of gout for 2 weeks before I can start to take it. I just don't get 2 weeks respite.

Oh, stopping booze has not proved to be the answer!
View attachment 39463

I've been on Allopurinol for about 10 years now, I don't recall being told I need to be gout free at-all, I was just put on it as soon as it was diagnosed. My worst occurrence, my hand looked at bit like yours, though it was more in the wrist than the hand - thanks to the Doctor in A&E who looked at it and made it worse, I couldn't write for 3 months. I was put on anti-inflamatories and it cleared up straight away, been on Allopurinol ever since, and don't think I've had an attack since then - I don't ever think about it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've been a sufferer for the last 3 years. Was initially told I had tendonitis, then was tested for pretty much every form of arthritis (apart from gout). Finally got tested for gout having seen a third different doctor. Been on 300mg of Allopurinal for the last 6 months or so and baring a few twinges and aches and pains I haven't had an attack since touch wood.

Roast beef seems to be my trigger which is a bit of bugger but I can still drink red wine and dark beer so guess I shouldn't moan too much.

Don't really like cherries so I find drinking allot of water and using apple cider vinegar helps.

Feel for anyone who suffers as when they are bad I've not known pain like it. The only positive thing for me is the attacks tend to go as quickly as they come on so I normally fine 48 hours later which I'm sure must make people think I'm putting it on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've taken allopurinol since 1998 and not had an attack of gout since, before that I was in agony and ended up in hospital with it

Agreed, it's a miracle, honest.

Also avoid Chinese, processed food, offal, anchovies, Asparagus and keep well hydrated

Just to say there is no cure for gout, there is only control. And yes, women do get gout but it is much rarer in women for some reason, about 25% incidence compared to men.

Alopurinol and naproxen for me. On the diclofenac, remember this is a nsaid and should be taken with care to avoid causing yourself stomach bleeding and issues associated with that. And do not take any other nsaid, like ibuprofen, while taking diclofenac.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I've taken allopurinol since 1998 and not had an attack of gout since, before that I was in agony and ended up in hospital with it

I've got two bent toes giving me grief at the mo----but I'm fecked if I'm giving up MY 'HARVEYS' :drink: How goes it 'EnREsT'???

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I've got two bent toes giving me grief at the mo----but I'm fecked if I'm giving up MY 'HARVEYS' :drink: How goes it 'EnREsT'???

DO I know YOU from SOMEWHERE ?

- - - Updated - - -

DO I know YOU from SOMEWHERE ?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm having an attack in my foot and ankle. And it ****ing hurts. I've had attacks before but they've only lasted 3-4 days. I'm now in day 9 and I don't know what to do now.

It started in my foot last Friday and didn't start to feel better until yesterday, I've been off work all work as I can't even put a sock on. Today was going ok but over the course of this evening it's started flaring up in my ankle.

This pain is unbearable now. I've been chewing tramadol like sweets to no effect, the doctor on Monday just prescribed a course of Naproxen anti inflammatories and told meto keep it elevated.

The missus went to Holland & Barrett on tuesday and got me some cherry based glucosamine drink and its doing bugger all to help.

Wise people of NSC is there anything else I could try? It's getting to the point I'm considering finding a dealer, jacking up on heroin and cutting foot off just to stop this agony.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Mate I have had gout for over twenty years ,the only thing I could suggest is go back to the Doc ask for better and stronger tablets ,drink plenty of water ,and I mean plenty and when it starts to get better get the Doc to put you on allupurinol and take them regularly .The worst thing you can do if you have been diagnosed with gout is go for long periods without food ,you are better to eat small and regularly ,and keep well away from Chinese food, and drink water regularly as this disperses the uric acid.Yes my doctor also told me you cannot take allupurinol when you have a bout of gout as this makes it worse ,you just have to ride it out with anti inflamatories until you can take it .I drink plenty of water take the allupurinol every day and exercise as being overweight also makes it worse .

Flumpyj

Mar 3, 2009
I feel for your pain m8,im on allopurinol,have been for the last two years or so,I find eating cherries really helps when I get an attack.I also take a cherry capsul from Holland and Barret every day and so far its been not too bad,I get the cherry tabs when they have their sales on and so bulk up on them. As others have said drink plenty of fluid to help get rid of the build up of the gout,best of luck!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Good advice so far....agree with cherries as well

My Doc gave me Diclofenac and some painkillers which did the trick...I also have a packet of the 25mg Voltarol painkillers (strong, can only take 2 a day) around in an emergency as they have diclofenac in them and they give some form of relief until you can get to the docs

Hi,

Interesting post for which thanks !

Were the Voltarol painkillers available off prescription ( I note all of what you are saying) just wondering whether or not they are something I might consider or are they not at all recommended whilst on Diclofenac.

I would like to hear, if you can be bothered, or please PM me.

Best

el punal

My Dad used to suffer from gout, I can't give you any remedies I'm afraid. What I can tell you is that you could become a member of The Salmon and Trout Club (if it's still going) for like minded sufferers. Upon membership you will receive a club tie depicting . . . a salmon and a trout.

P.S. Cockney Rhyming slang - salmon & trout : gout.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This will piss people off, especially those that have made lifestyle sacrifices in the name of gout.

I have had probably about 5 minor outbreaks with one about 18 months ago, which for the first time made me do some research as it went on for over 3 weeks !!!! and as we will all know it brings you down.

But a bit of research over and beyond the local GP and NHS direct seems that medical teams really can not pin down the causes of it, they seem to know the chemistry, uric acid and the crystallisation within the joints etc. and they have identified foods that seem to have a higher levels of uric acids etc.

So their conclusion is too restrict those foods etc and add those that counteract it, perhaps cherry's.

I decided after my 3 weeks of pain, to give it one last chance and NOT modify my lifestyle, whilst promising myself to heed every bit of advice if it came back fairly soon.

18 months later, not one attack, plenty of seafood eaten, booze drunk and hardly one cherry pass my lips.

Just think if I modified my diet after that chronic attack, I would be espousing to all on here of restricting this and adding that but for me it would of been false claims.

So you never really know if your modification is really averting the attacks as it seems they are totally random to the majority of us.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I did the Atkins diet about 10years ago and it caused gout in my toes, knees, elbows and even my neck. The worst pain I have ever experienced. Perhaps a low carb diet doesn't help. Naproxen cleared it up after about 48 hours. I still have twinges in one toe, but that's about it. I really sympathise with sufferers as it is absolutely agonising.

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
Had attacks every 8 or so months for the past 7 years which I've controlled with diclofenac. Decided with my last attack (which lasted 5 weeks) enough was enough and 6 days ago started my first 'pill for life' allubuprinol....so far no side effects.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just to add that allopurinol is very safe so if you take it for years it won't harm you. Its a very selective xanthine oxidase inhibitor (apologies, I'm a pharmacologist). The anti inflammatory drugs (naproxen etc) taken long term can irritate the stomach and slightly raise the risk of heart attack, so its good to have a drug holiday from time to time with these. As many have said, the food selection is critical. Its a bit random in that some people have particular sensitivity to specific stuff. Find what works for you.

All best wishes to those who suffer.

What's next? Ringworm? I have a cure :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here