Blackburn report £36.5m loss

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am not sure how the transfer embargo will work but they can still be fined.

Transfer embargo cannot work if the club is promoted, as it is no longer a member of the FL.

Because the club agreed to FFP whilst a member of the FL, in theory it can be fined for breaching the rules, but would be interesting to see what would happen if an appeal went to court.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's the employees I feel sorry for - they're on a wing and a prayer. Probably laid off, sure as eggs is eggs.

If the FA apply the rules appropriately then other clubs should be able to pluck the best players from the offending clubs.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If the FA apply the rules appropriately then other clubs should be able to pluck the best players from the offending clubs.

Certainly can't keep them cooped up. With some of the money coming from the Far East though, the best ones will probably be targets for The Foxes.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Getting promoted with a loss of 36.5 million, results in a fine of +- 27m quid. That's quite a fowl.

Hmm. So you start £63mill in the red. That only leaves you with £57mill profit for getting promoted. I'd take that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Hmm. So you start £63mill in the red. That only leaves you with £57mill profit for getting promoted. I'd take that.

It isn't £57mill profit though, is it? It is revenue over 5 years (assuming you get relegated in the first year and then receive parachute payments for the next 4 years). But unless you are willing to lose 38 games, you then have to start spending big money on transfer fees and wages, probably ensuring you will make further losses.

Why do so many football fans seem incapable of understanding that Premier League clubs have expenses, as well as revenues?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It isn't £57mill profit though, is it? It is revenue over 5 years (assuming you get relegated in the first year and then receive parachute payments for the next 4 years). But unless you are willing to lose 38 games, you then have to start spending big money on transfer fees and wages, probably ensuring you will make further losses.

Why do so many football fans seem incapable of understanding that Premier League clubs have expenses, as well as revenues?

Indeed. You get 60m for coming last, the rest is parachute payments. So you have 33m to play with. Should cover the increase in wages for the squad/agents fees, not a lot else. And if we are one of only a handful of clubs to adhere to FFP, that's a nice windfall for us.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

vast expenses at that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Average wage bill in the PL is £83 million compared to £17 million in the Championship.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I am not too sure with all this condemnation and current smugness in respect of Blackburn.

I am sure the FFP is for all things good etc, but personally if someone wishes to use part of or all of their wealth to fund a footy team then please go ahead, more fool you.

Of course administration can be a problem, but shouldn't this be already covered by current financial law.

Ultimately depending where your starting point is will dictate your likely future success or failure, so for many of those that adhere to the FFP they may not go into administration but they will tumble down the leagues and become bed fellows of Portsmouth anyhow, ironic really.

Jeez! How wrong can one person be?! If Tony were to plug unlimited sum of money into the club, just for fun, at what point does he start to asset strip to get his money back? How many clubs have to lose their ground before you wake up and realise that clubs must be run on a solid financial basis for them to be continually viable. The owners are not making gifts to the clubs, they are making loans and people that rich didn't get there by giving money away. It's an investment.

Much as he is our own personal Jesus Christ, TB is a shrewd enough businessman to know that, in the end, he needs his money back. Personally I believe he sees us a long term asset which is growing in value and when he finally sells, all the £M's he's plowed in come back to him with interest. This is why I would rather have him in charge than some rich foreigner who uses us as a plaything then gets bored and takes the Amex as payment for the loans he's pumped in.

We've been homeless. Coventry are suffering the same fate. I wouldn't wish owners like that on any club. The whole game needs to be regulated to protect the fans!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
'kin 'ell!! Any idea what the average per player is?

Difficult to say with confidence, and the wage bill ranges from Swansea (£35 million) to Citeh (£202 million).

But if we say that 80% of the wage bill goes on first team squad players, and assuming a first team squad of 25, this would work out at £2.66 million per player per year, or £51,000 a week.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jeez! How wrong can one person be?! If Tony were to plug unlimited sum of money into the club, just for fun, at what point does he start to asset strip to get his money back? How many clubs have to lose their ground before you wake up and realise that clubs must be run on a solid financial basis for them to be continually viable. The owners are not making gifts to the clubs, they are making loans and people that rich didn't get there by giving money away. It's an investment.

Much as he is our own personal Jesus Christ, TB is a shrewd enough businessman to know that, in the end, he needs his money back. Personally I believe he sees us a long term asset which is growing in value and when he finally sells, all the £M's he's plowed in come back to him with interest. This is why I would rather have him in charge than some rich foreigner who uses us as a plaything then gets bored and takes the Amex as payment for the loans he's pumped in.

We've been homeless. Coventry are suffering the same fate. I wouldn't wish owners like that on any club. The whole game needs to be regulated to protect the fans!

I don't want to be rude, but you are talking nonsense.

Let's look at the Albion dispassionately and purely as a financial opportunity.

The business has only made a profit once in 40 years.

The owner has invested £150 million into the business and has not taken anything out.

There is a one in eight chance that the business could increase its revenues from £22 million to about £80 million a year. If revenues do rise, then operating costs are likely to rise from £31.5 million to at least £70 million.

Total losses in the industry in which the business operate were last year £98 million.

There is a one in three chance that the increase in revenue might only last one year. A one in two chance that the increase will last only two years.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't want to be rude, but you are talking nonsense.

Let's look at the Albion dispassionately and purely as a financial opportunity.

The business has only made a profit once in 40 years.

The owner has invested £150 million into the business and has not taken anything out.

There is a one in eight chance that the business could increase its revenues from £22 million to about £80 million a year. If revenues do rise, then operating costs are likely to rise from £31.5 million to at least £70 million.

Total losses in the industry in which the business operate were last year £98 million.

There is a one in three chance that the increase in revenue might only last one year. A one in two chance that the increase will last only two years.

All very well but all that ignores further development of Falmer.

Without the club there would have been zero chance of any property development in that area - as it is we already see outline plans being prepared for commercial development in the form of a hotel.

TB's money is in property and that is where I see the future for him with the club which has been kept as a separate company from the stadium and any other development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports