[Politics] Black Lives Matters on shirts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FWIW I’m dead against this idea, for little other reason than the actual players’ names on the shirts, serve a purpose - and I’d rather they remained in place for that.

No problem with NHS / BLM shoulder patches or something.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is the EPL's message of NHS/BLM support on shirts being accompanied by an appropriate monetary donation to either, anybody know? Have looked at a number of news sites and can't see any mention anywhere, unlike the Albion's Thank You NHS shirts

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So not because he is black then? (Sorry for sounding a bit like Ali G - take it he's banned now too).

Sol has always been a controversial character. Personally I like him, but he comes across as a difficult man. This may be off-putting to chairmen.
The fact that he has blamed the colour of his skin for not getting opportunities, exposes his own lack of self-awareness of the above and doesn’t help the campaign to stop racism. Knockbacks aren’t always down to racism or sexism or anything else, it’s part of life.
Also, off the back of doing well at Macclesfield he moved up a division with Southend. I’m sure if he does well again he will keep going up. Who’s to say the experience in the lower divisions won’t lead to a longer managerial career than those who’ve been given big jobs almost immediately?

D

Deleted member 2719

The problem isn't the past. Yes, things have improved, but not enough

Life is never perfect and never will be.

I went for a job and didn't get it because of my age, the CEO was clearly ageist.

I had a choice to make older peoples lives matter shirts or get on with life.

There are people in life who have screwed their heads on right and then there are wasters in life who spend all day making noise, causing disruption and dividing people to destruction.

Wearing shirts with BLM just fuels the fire, it's like wearing a Palarse shirt in the Northstand.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My idea of watching football is a few hours of 'not real world' and emotion/adrenalin/entertainment.

I do not want it mixed, and diluted, with political comment ta.

which political parties are for/against "this sort of a thing"

asking for a friend

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

I went for a job and didn't get it because of my age, the CEO was clearly ageist.

So your view is that anyone discriminated against should just "get on with it?" I think thats exactly why BLM started that black people rejected the view that they should accept the unfairness.

There are people in life who have screwed their heads on right and then there are wasters in life who spend all day making noise, causing disruption and dividing people to destruction.

Wearing shirts with BLM just fuels the fire, it's like wearing a Palarse shirt in the Northstand.

So you think anyone discriminated against should just accept it and"get on with life?" Thats exactly why BLM started when BAME people refused simply to accept what was happening. Exactly right I would say especially if it shakes up my cosy feeling that all is well in the UK.

As for you last sentence that is simply offensive. Why does wearing a BLM shirt fuel any fire? Unless of course someone is a racist?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
What is YOUR opinion of the term ‘gammon’ then smart arse?

You really do have a high opinion of yourself, rest assured it is not shared universally.

do you think that sometimes you conflate your opinion with some kind of inate, universally held, self evident truth?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The BLM movement needs to work out what they actually want to achieve because the message is getting lost in all the flannel.

Nothing will change without political action and none of this happens overnight, they need investment in education and youth services in poor inner city areas. They need Police reform and training. They need to remove the glass ceiling across industry. Running round like headless chickens, attacking OB, pulling down statues and vandalising monuments won't achieve any of that.

it isnt a movement, its a slogan. it represents different things to different people. in US its about police brutality, here its found some focus on anti-slave/colonal history. protests serve purpose for action now, not so useful for long term change. so if there is to be anything come from this, a few leader need to emerge, put forward solid political objectives that can be acted on.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Only the players ? Why not the match officials ? Stewards ? The list goes on. Now let,s ALL take a step back and have a calm think and talk about this,mind you haven't we been here before ?

And, after your long hard think, what did you conclude? Do enlighten us.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Tricky one for refs to decide upon, although the lack of crowds may help them out.

Not really tricky at all for me. Take no action.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
which political parties are for/against "this sort of a thing"

asking for a friend

I'm not sure which element of 'I don't want any form of politics to enter my (as Barbs might put it) matchday experience' is difficult to comprehend.

I hope your friend can grasp that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not really tricky at all for me. Take no action.

they must take action. the rule is a yellow for taking off a shirt (or lifting over head), not for a slogan on a shirt underneath. the rule is quite specific to remove the ambiguity for refs, they arent asked to make judgement on messages, only the act.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is possibly the most ridiculous analogy I’ve ever seen. Have a think about what you’ve just suggested - that adding this slogan, is akin to deliberate offensive antagonisation of an entire target audience.

In short, that everyone watching would not only be against the message intended, but against it to the point of being offended by its mere presence.

Amazing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
they must take action. the rule is a yellow for taking off a shirt (or lifting over head), not for a slogan on a shirt underneath. the rule is quite specific to remove the ambiguity for refs, they arent asked to make judgement on messages, only the act.

Any player dim enough to remove a shirt with #BlackLivesMatter printed in big letters across the back, to reveal an undershirt pencilled with the very same words, probably deserves their booking, to be fair.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Imagine the PL promoting any other organisation that has, thus far, caused riots, robbing, attacks on police and graffiti on our national monuments. It’s bizarre.

If they hadn’t done that stuff, then maybe you can forgive them, but this seems like it’s totally against our values.

If you lived in Iran, you’d be forgiven for thinking that the UK is just another state of the US.

As was said earlier, we already had an anti-racism organisation - Kick It Out and, as far as I know, they haven’t participated in riots.

What is more bizarre is that people are going along with the PL basically rewarding BLM for their bad behaviour.

Honestly, who actually believes black lives DON’T matter? Yes, black people have been killed by the police in America, but so have whites (actually more).

I can’t see the PL promoting a slogan such as ‘Save White South African Farmers’ or ‘Save Black Albinos’ anytime soon, do you? No? Thought not, they are just jumping on the bandwagon, despite the polarised opinions BLM have caused.

Politics should be kept well clear of football.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

What fire is this fueling exactly and how is it fueling it?

and how on earth is it like wearing a palace shirt in the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports