Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Black Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Perhaps it is a use of language thing. Are you saying that 'Black lives matter' is drivel, or that people who don't understand the point of 'Black lives matter' are talking drivel?

It is rather ambiguous. I read it three times. Then I read his next post and I'm still unsure.:shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone who moans about BLM and says ALL lives matter is totally free to start an ALM movement if it makes them feel better - it's one hell of a big task to take on at once though. But more often than not it seems they just don't want to do anything about anything.

I would imagine they're also the sort of people who demand a "Straight Pride" event then never actually bother organising one.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem in the States stems from their history of ' racial segregation '...white v non-white...white implying purity...people of colour being racially sub-divided into a category of low importance. This ethos still exists. It is not racial prejudice, in its many forms, its colour prejudice. Black v White. Its the product of an under-developed society. Mentally and socially immature. In the 2000 census in the USA, two of the five self-designated races were labelled by colour. White referring to European/Middle Eastern or North African descent. Black ( African/American ) referring to African origin. The other three races have no colour definition. The UK and USA are both multi racial societies but thats where the similarity ends. We have a 1000+ year history of outward looking expansionism and integration, which eventually leads to more social tolerance. The USA has about 250 years of history, predominantly insular and a marked inability to integrate. Even a black president didn't change attitudes. The divide is burned deep into their souls and it could take a very, very long time for fundamental change.

I saw this interview on Twitter earlier which I think encapsulates the above and how it compares to South Africa's post-apartheid history (bottom tweet).

[TWEET]1267979285156868097[/TWEET]

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This latest incident is horrendous and one of the most telling quotes in all this from Martin Luther King's oldest son, who states nothing has changed since his father was gunned down 52 years ago.

I did listen to Lara Woods on Talk Sport Breakfast the other day, and she was going on about 'White Privileged' and the phrase meaning that as white people the world over we've never been discriminated against because of the colour of our skin.

I'm not sure the former white farmers in Rhodesia would agree with that?

I think it’s more profound than the interests of white farmers in Africa LR.

If BLM genuinely then the mass destruction of businesses in the US would not affect ANY black Americans interests.

So, that should mean no black business owners have lost their business or been looted and no black American employees are out of work because white/Hispanic/whatever business owners have lost their businesses.

If that’s the case I am front seat, top on the BLM bus.

If It’s not the case then the BLM movement is a load of hypocrisy, wrapped up in faux piety, fired out of the arse of talking heads that haven’t got an earthly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it’s more profound than the interests of white farmers in Africa LR.

If BLM genuinely then the mass destruction of businesses in the US would not affect ANY black Americans interests.

So, that should mean no black business owners have lost their business or been looted and no black American employees are out of work because white/Hispanic/whatever business owners have lost their businesses.

If that’s the case I am front seat, top on the BLM bus.

If It’s not the case then the BLM movement is a load of hypocrisy, wrapped up in faux piety, fired out of the arse of talking heads that haven’t got an earthly.

Is the BLM movement advocating the destruction of businesses, property and livelihoods? I've not read or seen that. I suppose for you any actions that run in parallel with protests are the responsibility of the protest? So basically any protest could be rendered a load of hypocrisy, faux piety by simply abstracting whichever events suit your agenda from it.

I guess the biggest faux piety I have seen so far is a President tear gassing a peaceful demonstration, that included religious representatives, so as you can make your way to the front of a church to hold a bible.

"which do you prefer, old or new testament?" "I like them both equally". :hilton:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Far right, far left or in the middle makes no difference. Did it stop large elements of the Labour Party from indulging in overt anti-semitism? Did it stop Paki bashing in the 70's by white British? Did it stop communist witch hunts in America in the 50's, aimed totally at the white middle class. Does your political persuasion influence Islamaphobia? The Pride movement largely arose out of persecution by all sectors of society.
The problem in the States stems from their history of ' racial segregation '...white v non-white...white implying purity...people of colour being racially sub-divided into a category of low importance. This ethos still exists. It is not racial prejudice, in its many forms, its colour prejudice. Black v White. Its the product of an under-developed society. Mentally and socially immature. In the 2000 census in the USA, two of the five self-designated races were labelled by colour. White referring to European/Middle Eastern or North African descent. Black ( African/American ) referring to African origin. The other three races have no colour definition. The UK and USA are both multi racial societies but thats where the similarity ends. We have a 1000+ year history of outward looking expansionism and integration, which eventually leads to more social tolerance. The USA has about 250 years of history, predominantly insular and a marked inability to integrate. Even a black president didn't change attitudes. The divide is burned deep into their souls and it could take a very, very long time for fundamental change.
Thats not to say that change of attitude can't be achieved. Rosa Parks, Stokely Carmichael, Malcolm X, Martin L King etc set the ball rolling. The evangelical driving force that was needed at that time to shake the country up. They did the groundwork. Others did their part later. But here we are now with a mixed up/f--ked up society. Acceptable that Black artists ( listened to by millions ) can use the ' N ' word regularly and write fairly inciteful lyrics, whilst use of that language in white society is strictly taboo. Acceptable that white supremacist organisations can flourish and meet, with no police intervention, spouting their vile infective at all who are stupid enough to listen. Its a complete and utter multi racial/ black and white mess.
This situation has invoked anger but it doesn't excuse individuals taking to the streets, doing millions of pounds worth of damage, looting and burning other people's hard earned livelihoods ( many of them black owned businesses ) reducing black policeman to tears and despair and losing sympathy in many quarters. We had it in this country in 2011. It didn't achieve anything apart from those who looted and gained extra goods for themselves. Keep educating the young. Make sure they integrate with all and gradually, the succeeding generations will turn this around.

Very well articulated. I watched a documentary the other night about Ella Fitzgerald, and it really brought it home how, when she or any other black musicians were touring (In the 50s?), they couldn't stay in the mainstream hotels but had to stay in the black rooming houses in the black quarters of town, how people of colour were not accepted as performers in the glamorous nightspots of Hollywood etc. It also showed the part that Marilyn Monroe played in one particular venue where she was "seen" every night by saying she would stop going unless Ella Fitzgerald was booked. That is probably a gross over-simplification, but all credit to Miss Monroe.

Suzie Quattro used to have a programme on the radio (2?) Where she would play among other things some of the original versions of rock and roll songs which later became hits for white artists. Comparing the Bill Haley sanitised version of Shake Rattle and Roll to the original is a real eye opener. It's disgusting what do many top, top people like Duke Ellington, Count Basis, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong etc etc etc had to put up with!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am treating all people I meet as I find them. I think that's enough. I teach my child to do the same. I think that America has the massive problem of the hangover of slavery also they are generally more likely to own and use guns.. I don't think their race problems mirror ours in the UK. Theirs is a way more divisive society and that is sad.

You don't think that the UK Mirrors the US ?

The British people just voted in at a landslide. A Prime Minister who referred to Muslim Women as ''Letter Boxes''

A Government who on the whole got their ticket to Downing Street backed by people who want to turn their back on the Humanitarian Issues of Migrants fleeing War Zones.

I don't want to go on because I could be here for hours. This Government rode to Power on the backs of many people with the same views as Donald Trump's Supporters in the US. If you don't think that we are mirroring the US then I would suggest that the US are probably mirroring the UK.

I obviously don't include all Trump or Johnson Supporters in my above Synopsis. That would be foolish of me to suggest that; however, those views exist in many of their supporters and to dismiss it - It is no wonder there is a need for the ''Black Lives Matter Movement''

If the Migrant Camps around the World were full of white people then there would be more of an Urgency for Governments to put together Aid packages to solve it.

That Police killing is just the tip of the iceberg. Watching a White Man slowly extinguish the life of a Black Man on film over a 10 minute period is a tough watch for anyone. All police officers attending that should have been charged with murder. Perhaps some of them would have been judged to be innocent by virtue of the fact that their part in the killing was non existent or minimal but they should all be charged for a Jury to decide and it should have happened instantly.

As a Society we all need to take a long hard look at ourselves.

Watching people die around the World when they could be saved. I feel Guilty and I have no power to prevent it. Collectively we have the Power to help prevent some of it. But to bury our head in the sands and claim this is an issue in the US and not on our own Doorsteps ? - That just doesn't wash with me.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I wish the BLM message would be taken seriously by the Government of Zimbabwe

0BBDCBB2-DBB6-43D3-988A-9935EFDA9148.jpeg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Japan is routinely discriminatory against non-Japanese, including (but by no means limited to) whites. It's arguably better than it was, but still it remains.

I'm aware of that. A mate of mine in Japan got spat on by a salaryman a couple of weeks back. I don't think it's in any way comparable to the injustice experienced by blacks in the US and elsewhere though. When was the last time a Japanese cop killed an unarmed white guy?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The history of the empire should be taught in schools, without it so many people in this country will think those problems on exist ‘over there’. There’s a reason the evil character in cartoons and movies often has a British voice, it’s relatable for a large part of the world.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Anyone who moans about BLM and says ALL lives matter is totally free to start an ALM movement if it makes them feel better - it's one hell of a big task to take on at once though. But more often than not it seems they just don't want to do anything about anything.

I actually believe that ''All lives matter'' - But it is not something I would use in a statement to challenge the ''Black Lives Matter Movement''

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The history of the empire should be taught in schools, without it so many people in this country will think those problems on exist ‘over there’. There’s a reason the evil character in cartoons and movies often has a British voice, it’s relatable for a large part of the world.

This.

I remember being shocked to learn how big a role we played in the Atlantic slave trade.

Learnt nothing about it in school.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wish the BLM message would be taken seriously by the Government of Zimbabwe

View attachment 124430

Zimbabwe has for the last 20 years been an international pariah state with a Government regarded as corrupt and committing brutalities against it's own people. Are you suggesting we should now regard the US in the same way?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

And people laud figures like Churchill who was a vile racist. Obama removed his bust from the White House desk and replaced it with one of Martin Luther King. Trump reversed that process when he took office, Churchill back, Luther King gone. If momentum builds in the growing years over racial inequality the way it hopefully will, I can imagine there being calls for his statue to be removed from Parliament Square.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
When was the last time a Japanese cop killed an unarmed white guy?

I wasn't trying to suggest equivalence, but there is a narrative that whites don't (and never have) suffered discriminaton. And therefore are not allowed to have an opinion on the subject.

Secondly, and in answer to your question, I don't think they have. There have been incidents of police brutality during arrests and in custody. I remember at least one death during enforced deportation, the unfortunate victim was Ghanian.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Zimbabwe has for the last 20 years been an international pariah state with a Government regarded as corrupt and committing brutalities against it's own people. Are you suggesting we should now regard the US in the same way?

Not at all, it's just that Zimbabweans have no voice. This sort of stuff happens every day out there, yet hardly makes the news.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not at all, it's just that Zimbabweans have no voice. This sort of stuff happens every day out there, yet hardly makes the news.

The situation in Zimbabwe is terrible, and has been for a couple of decades. But it doesn't excuse violence and brutality elsewhere.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I totally agree with the black lives matter mindset but I think it would have also been a good opportunity to also in some way include gangs in that . Apparently more black youths are killed by other black youths in gang war fare in the USA than by any other group . This is just as shocking and I think an opportunity has been lost to highlight this as well . This doesn’t negate what the clearly loonatic police officer did but surely all black lives matter not just the ones killed by white policemen .

I reckon more white people kill more white people than any other race without looking at any stats.

Not to say thats not an issue but hang crime has nothing to do with this right now. Just my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here