Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Friday Massacre

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well clearly you haven't "got it". The point is that while the yanks are giving thanks and spanking their wealth on trinkets and discounted goods perhaps they should take time to remember that the wealth and feasting they now enjoy came at a huge price for others.

And it's darkly ironic that on the very day after their feasting and on the very day they have a retail festival it is the anniversary of one of the most cowardly massacres in their history.

It's a very clear link, I'm sorry I haven't explained it well enough for you to understand.

Well I got it and it is an interesting "fact". Some others have clearly got out the wrong side of bed today.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Out of interest, how long has this day been known as "Black Friday" in the US ? And it's because people have money to splash, i.e. they're in the black, right ? Nothing to do with a massacre ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well I got it and it is an interesting "fact". Some others have clearly got out the wrong side of bed today.

Thank you. I thought it showed another side to the feasting and retail extravaganza that the US holiday season has become. Clearly I have misjudged it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Out of interest, how long has this day been known as "Black Friday" in the US ? And it's because people have money to splash, i.e. they're in the black, right ? Nothing to do with a massacre ?

I think there is some debate as to why it's called Black Friday. Nowt to do with the massacre detailed in my OP as far as I know. "Black" days are usually associated with bad events, hence why I linked it to the massacre that also occurred on this day 149 years ago. A concept too far for some I feel.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I don't care because according a Hungarian diplomat...."We are the 'nasty' nation....

What's his problem, whatever have we done to them. Considering they were part of, and allied to virtually every nasty European Country, at one time or another.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Interesting. The genocide of Native Americans was one of the most shameful episodes in history. Would be a bit like if Germany decided to hold a boozy Carnival-style public holiday that co-incided with Holocaust Day. Not that they would, of course, just drawing comparisons.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Re the Hungarian guy, just wondering what sort of benefits package we could expect if we turned up penniless and homeless in Budapest ?

Perhaps some people should Google the origins of Thanksgiving and Black Friday before they form an opinion. Some posters on here are easily lead.

Without Googling it I believe Thanksgiving commemorates the fact that the first settlers, facing famine because of crop failure, were saved through the kindness of Native Americans (aka "Indians") sharing food with them. There are numerous Black Fridays listed on Wikipedia, the earliest in 1688 involving imprisonment of Bishops.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Apparently, Black Friday is well-known for violent crowds, mass hysteria, shootings, etc as hordes of shoppers get totally hyped up about the whole thing. I recall there was something similar here, when they opened up the big new IKEA in Enfield a few years back.

Black Friday ? Sounds like a vision of hell to me.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Read Slowly:

My point is that while US folk are enjoying thanksgiving and giving a day of shopping a name the reason they can enjoy such excess is due to the earlier slaughter of First Nation tribes.

Repeat until understood.

Listen, do not try and patronise me you moron. You are the one who is trying to infer something that is not there, you should write for the Daily Mail. The massacre you are referring to has precisely F all to do with black Friday and it is not call the Black Friday massacre, it is called "The sandy creek massacre". So not only are you trying to allude to something that is not there but then try and make it look like I am stupid when I point it out to someone else :tosser:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Well clearly you haven't "got it". The point is that while the yanks are giving thanks and spanking their wealth on trinkets and discounted goods perhaps they should take time to remember that the wealth and feasting they now enjoy came at a huge price for others.

And it's darkly ironic that on the very day after their feasting and on the very day they have a retail festival it is the anniversary of one of the most cowardly massacres in their history.

It's a very clear link, I'm sorry I haven't explained it well enough for you to understand.

I take it you do not celebrate Christmas, your birthday or your childrens birthdays then

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Listen, do not try and patronise me you moron. You are the one who is trying to infer something that is not there, you should write for the Daily Mail. The massacre you are referring to has precisely F all to do with black Friday and it is not call the Black Friday massacre, it is called "The sandy creek massacre". So not only are you trying to allude to something that is not there but then try and make it look like I am stupid when I point it out to someone else :tosser:

Yes, the point is that it is NOT called the Black Friday Massacre. The whole point of the thread. No, mate you're not stupid but you have failed to grasp the point I am trying and clearly failing to make. I cannot keep explaining, you either get it or you don't.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Your point?

Yes, the point is that it is NOT called the Black Friday Massacre. The whole point of the thread. No, mate you're not stupid but you have failed to grasp the point I am trying and clearly failing to make. I cannot keep explaining, you either get it or you don't.

I think it is you that does not get it, as I have said, you must not celebrate any day then as any date can be linked to a terrible act of some kind

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

But the massacre was on 29th. Nov. and Black Friday is a different day every year.

So your point is that there are two events which are not related, which don't share the same name and which rarely fall upon the same day?

I'm genuinely confused.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
But the massacre was on 29th. Nov. and Black Friday is a different day every year.

So your point is that there are two events which are not related, which don't share the same name and which rarely fall upon the same day?

I'm genuinely confused.

I think he's managed to confuse everyone, which is some achievement even for Nibble.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think it is you that does not get it, as I have said, you must not celebrate any day then as any date can be linked to a terrible act of some kind

Okay. One more time. This particular event is pertinent because Thanksgiving (yesterday) is celebrated to give thanks to the Native Americans for helping the settlers. American wealth was largely built on exploiting the Natives. One of the most cowardly massacres of the natives took place at the same time yet it's not widely remembered, instead they go shopping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here