Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Friday in the UK - Will you be buying anything ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll buy my weekly shopping.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
ASDA, PC World, John Lewis, Amazon and other stores are getting involved in the US speciality of Black Friday shopping, with lots of items heavily reduced.

ASDA for example start their "Black Friday Sale" in store only by selling Tablets on a first come first serve basis for only £49 (reportedly). Amazon are also doing "lightning sales" where items are heavily discounted for a certain period of time (IE 2 hours) and/or until a certain amount of the item has sold out.

So, who is taking part in this American import to get some reduced items ?

(PS - Today is Thanksgiving in the US and since everyone has tomorrow off over there, they all go shopping - their equivalent of Boxing Day basically).

Thanks for the info. I was genuinely wondering what all the Black Friday stuff was about and where it had come from.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Fights reported at some ASDA stores including some staff being assaulted - looks like the full American way is taking over here, with added British-ness as people have put on Twitter that because items had sold out before they got there, they will be writing the store manager a letter.

Whats more British than writing a letter of complaint to a manager ?!?!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The best thing to do is buy from Amazon US as they have the best deals by far, if you can get them that is

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Fights reported at some ASDA stores including some staff being assaulted - looks like the full American way is taking over here, with added British-ness as people have put on Twitter that because items had sold out before they got there, they will be writing the store manager a letter.

Whats more British than writing a letter of complaint to a manager ?!?!

If we'd gone completely American they'd have been shot

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Begs the question.

If these retailers can sell products at these prices now, why couldn't they price them like this before?

Higher turnover with lower profit margin per item will always make more sense to me.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Just bought some DC trainers for £12 and a Roxy top and flip flops for £9! Bargain!

If anyone likes DC or Quiksilver you can get an extra 40% off sale items on their websites with the code - BLACKFRIDAY40

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just bought some DC trainers for £12 and a Roxy top and flip flops for £9! Bargain!

If anyone likes DC or Quiksilver you can get an extra 40% off sale items on their websites with the code - BLACKFRIDAY40

Oh yeah ! Flip-flops for £9 !.. I'd best get out of my onesie, get me shell suit on and steam down there quick.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Fights reported at some ASDA stores including some staff being assaulted - looks like the full American way is taking over here..!

Tragic. You lot were famous for queueing up and taking turns, especially for public transport and bank tellers and the like. This certainly does sound like us or -- shudder -- the Italians.

Whither Britain?

If we'd gone completely American they'd have been shot,

Precisely.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sorry.

You bought trainers that we originally around £125?

You spent £200 on two pairs of TRAINERS?

It's rather sad really. To but " Proper " Saucony running shoes only cost £85 a pair and can be cheaper than that. It's ridiculous paying £100 for trainers that will never have their laces tied up and only ever run in for 5 yards between a taxi and a pub doorway if its raining. :rant:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Begs the question.

If these retailers can sell products at these prices now, why couldn't they price them like this before?

Higher turnover with lower profit margin per item will always make more sense to me.

Maybe, like car dealers at the end of each financial quarter, it is the surplus stock they're trying to shift before Christmas.

I don't see the point of it, I mean the January sales are going to be upon us fairly quickly, and most of these so-called bargains can be bought online with no fuss or hassle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here