Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birthday Surprise!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just out of interest, how early is early?

Dunno half 12 / 1 maybe. Used to always be players arriving at withdean around then when we used to go sportsman :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I have a signed shirt ready to be framed for my 10yo's birthday (bought and paid for, not some freebie I begged from the club!). I can assure you he will be especially made up over it.
I got Leo's autograph in a Costa in town on friday night and he signed the back of a Brighton Festival guide for me (it was the only thing I had) and my son was overjoyed. Right up until the 8th time on saturday that I started a sentence with ... "Well, as Leo said to me in Costa last night...". He started to get a bit annoyed after that but the autograph is already framed and on his bedroom wall!

Just to be clear, I'm very much of the perspective of 'each to their own' and 'live and let live' and definitely not using those phrases in a snidey way (I'm sure there's aspects of my interest in the football artefacts and history that others don't share!).

But - try as I might - I still can't figure out what it is that makes a signature collectible. I would love to meet Leo Ulloa. I would also love to own a shirt that he has worn in a match. However, I can't see how him signing that shirt (let alone signing a British Festival guide! :clap: ) would make it collectable. Is it because it 'proves' you've met him or it shows he's touched the garment/publication or is there some other kind of appeal?

Thanks.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's my birthday on the 9th, which could be the day we play in a playoff semi-final. As such, I think it's only fair that I get to sit on the bench for this game

Now way, you're in the team ... left midfield just in front of Bridge.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think the club does amazing things for the fans. My lad is 7 in a few weeks, they are sending him a free kit as part of Gully's gang, plus at the Wolves match Gully is going to visit him in his seat before the match and give him a goody bag! If that isn't looking after the fans, what is?? Maybe his gf should ask Gully to come see him? Haha.

I got a signed birthday card from Gus and the chaps on my 50th from the club, my daughter arranged it... and it had personay happy birthday Andy.....(or it may have been signed by the groundsman I have no idea)...

I agree, we surprised our daughter for her 18th last season by sending the club (with a SAE with it) a photo of Noone (her favourite player at the time) and asked if he could sign it for her. We got an email back saying no problem and would she like to meet Craig after the next game and he would give it back to her rather than post it. Complete legend and the club also arranged a personal birthday card for her signed by everybody.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just to be clear, I'm very much of the perspective of 'each to their own' and 'live and let live' and definitely not using those phrases in a snidey way (I'm sure there's aspects of my interest in the football artefacts and history that others don't share!).

But - try as I might - I still can't figure out what it is that makes a signature collectible. I would love to meet Leo Ulloa. I would also love to own a shirt that he has worn in a match. However, I can't see how him signing that shirt (let alone signing a British Festival guide! :clap: ) would make it collectable. Is it because it 'proves' you've met him or it shows he's touched the garment/publication or is there some other kind of appeal?

Thanks.

I'll add my qualification too. I'm really not that fussed about the autograph/shirt thing but knowing my son, I knew he'd be so excited to get Leo's autograph and will treat the shirt the same way.

For me, getting the signature was an exciting experience because it was so unexpected - normally hopeless unobservant i recognised a face completely out of context and managed to make the connection. I was with my other half, teenage daughter and her friend waiting for son to finish a birthday party at laser zone. None of the girls are too bothered by football even though daughter plays, so noone knew what I was doing when I asked if anyone had a pen and started talking to guy at the next table. Have to add at this point Leo seeming very proud to be asked, think he got a kick out being asked in front of his friends.

For my son, I guess the excitement comes from getting 'über fan' status in front of his school friends. The bragging rights are huge and I'm sure his school mates believe Leo and I are best mates who meet up in Costa every Friday after a few tellings of the story. The shirt for his birthday will compound this further! He is immensely passionate about his football and having made the move from being a glory hunting Chelsea fan to full blown, dyed blue and white, Seagull over the past two years, any connection to the club just increases his passion.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
My 6yo son and I will wait after the last game of the season at West stand reception for the players to come out (like we did last season). We get most players autographs and he get photos with all the players too. Im sure if the GF took a shirt (or shit) with her she could easily get 10 - 15 autographs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here