Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham City v Brighton & Hove Albion **** Official Match Thread ****

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing us play the long ball from time to time as an alternative and especially in order to release CMS and let him use his pace from the halfway line -- it is exactly how Chris Wood has scored 4 of his goals this season so far. Greer is a great exponent of the (accurate) long ball and I think sometimes our slow build-up gives opponents all the opportunity they need at this level to cover our strikers and that is reflected in the dearth of scoring opportunities we create in most games. Our combined "shots on/off target" must be one of the lowest in the division (waits to be proved wrong). Mixing it up a little might give Hughton a few surprises to cope with. As it is we are very predictable and he is an excellent coach who will be confident he can negate our front line relatively easily.

If it is true that Dunk is out it may create just the change defensively that will make them think. As it is they must be expecting an easy afternoon's work. Burke is their most consistent attacking threat with Beasejour a useful creative force from midfield and Wood playing off the shoulder of the last man has been doing very well. I'm hoping we will be forced to keep someone in the centre more - Greer naturally drifts outside to cover the fullback going forward and we have sometimes lacked the discipline to hold the centre of the defence and have given sides way too much room to hurt us as a result. It is not a criticism of Dunk but Vincelot or Reyes will play a different way and that might be beneficial.

Overall I'm feeling surprisingly positive given recent form. I think Harper will give us more aggression in defence against crosses and Jara Reyes will offer better positional play defensively without costing us anything offensively. The return of Buckley and Vicente and Noone's continuing excellent form gives us the best midfield I can recall while Paynter to support CMS and create space and opportunity for him to hurt opposing defences more than he has been able to do so far may well mean that we will begin to create more chances. And as we know our conversion rate of chances into goals is very good indeed. Weighing it all up I'm going for a 2-1 win for Albion today.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What is our side going to be and what formation? As usual I have not got a clue.

If we are going to play passing football in the tippy-tappy style, surely it has got to be 4-3-3 ?
Gus Tactics

But this is the big test if Gus
gus-poyet.jpg
can still play this system against Chris Hughton who knows (or professes to know) how to stop teams playing the passing game and make them play the long ball.

I would like to se Lua lua on the pitch at some time.
Hughton: Dealing with a quick winger

We never play 4-3-3 away from home. We'll play 4-4-2 with no wingers

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Makes sense. No one on the wing (seems a bit like 4-3-1-2 which I thought we had changed to when the results went wrong).

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Long Accurate Pass (not a Hoof upfield)

Greer is a great exponent of the (accurate) long ball and I think sometimes our slow build-up gives opponents all the opportunity they need at this level to cover our strikers and that is reflected in the dearth of scoring opportunities we create in most games. .

I agree with Greer as our only long ball passer of the ball with any accuracy (although Painter might make an occasional long pass/cross with lots of awful ones in between). Spain played quite a few long accurate balls that suddenly switched the play from defence to attack. I wondered if Greer could play full back? That leaves a gap in central defence though.

PS: It seems that the Albion's defence can restrict the opposition to look shots (or force tham to shoot from long distance as the only option available to them going forward). The trouble is that some of the shots go in, i.e. Chopra, instead of hitting the bar: Koren).

Nobody wanted him until he signed for Birmingham: Stephen Carr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

& that's why we're not winning...1 goal in the last 8 first halves, may as well try & blow em off the pitch I say as 'keeping it tight' ain't working (please requote this when we smash one in on 6 mins & then again as we go in 2 up at ht)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
& that's why we're not winning...1 goal in the last 8 first halves, may as well try & blow em off the pitch I say as 'keeping it tight' ain't working (please requote this when we smash one in on 6 mins & then again as we go in 2 up at ht)

Agreed but I think we'd do just as badly vs Brum if we played 4-3-3 because our midfield would get completely overrun

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Makes sense. No one on the wing (seems a bit like 4-3-1-2 which I thought we had changed to when the results went wrong).

I reckon it'll be 4-1-2-1-2 (virtually what you said but Bridcutt playing defensively and Vicente? playing just behind the front 2

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From Santiago

How many full internationals will be playing today?

Ibáñez, King, Wood, Žigić, Fahey, Beausejour, N'Daw, Gomis, Spector, Carr, Myhill, Doyle, Steven Caldwell,

Jara Reyes, Mackail-Smith, Vicente

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
its simple to me, play to your strengths:

Harper
Reyes
Vincelot / Caldy
Greer
Painter

Noone
Vincete
Bridcutt
Buckley

Paynter
CMS

Subs:

Sparrow
Harley
Barnes
Casper
Caldy / Vincelot

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You just KNOW Wood is going to score against us today. Same as Murray did. Them's the rules for former players, even loan ones. Have backed him first/last goal @ 5/1 and 6/4 to score anytime. Not QUITE reduced to backing the Albion to get beat, but near enough :down:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You just know that they are going to be all about the high ball into the box and use Zigicz height. This has been our big weakness... wonder if thats why Dunk isnt playing

but Taricco ?!?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Harper; Reyes, Calderon, Greer, Painter; Bridcutt, Vincelot, Sparrow; Noone, Mackail-Smith, Buckley

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Really hope i get made to eat my words today. Come on brighton

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
subs Barnes, Paynter, LuaLua, Taricco, Ankergren

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't know how Birmingham play. I thought they might be a pressing team, but I think they may play more like West Ham?

Gus: "They drop off a lot and let you have the ball in front of them.
"They did that against Leicester and a few teams in Europe, so we need to make sure we play our game."

Birmingham are favourites to win the game at odds of 11/10 with coral.co.uk. The draw is priced at 23/10 and a Brighton win at 5/2.

Birmingham City | News | Latest | Latest | BLUES V BRIGHTON PREVIEW

Small Heath Alliance :: Independent Birmingham City Football Club Website

The trouble is that I am not sure what our game is any more. I don't think Birmingham will drop off and let us pass them to death either.

Par result must be Birmingham C 1 Brighton & Hove A 0.

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Calderon at CB, then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here