Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binmen going on another 3 day strike

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
All the council will do is threaten to take you to court but if ypu stick to your guns is paying for a service you have not received the council will back down from it. The reason I know this is because I withheld £50 back in 2009 because my bins were not emptied due to industrial action. I wrote to the council as to why I withheld the money and said I will see you in court.
I have not been to court regarding this and all the council do is add £50 on to my bill and when I make the first months payment the first £50 comes off my arrears.
I have spoken to a couple of people at the council to ask why they will not take me to court and they think that it is easier to reclaim the money back this way rather than risk the possibility of losing in court and having to make refunds to those that have.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In an odd state of affairs the teaching assistants were going on strike as well to support the drivers demands that they be better paid than them

Is that accurate? I thought that TAs were planning to striker over their own pay.

I'm currently a TA (trained teacher) and I'm a little stuck when it comes to whether I would strike or not. I'd certainly suggest that a special needs TA should earn more than a binman. That is not suggesting that the binmen don't carry out a valuable role in society, but an SEN TA is a far more skilled and stressful role.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If I pay a private firm to carry out work which they decline to do then I receive a refund,how can the Council get away with this,if schools and hospitals and police decide to ignore those who pay for their services would we be expected to pay the full council tax?.
To establish whether the drivers have a good case advertise their posts and see what the response is.
If the union is successful in having the drivers regraded there will be a massive claim from other staff which will bring about a large increase in our council tax.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Is that accurate? I thought that TAs were planning to striker over their own pay.

I'm currently a TA (trained teacher) and I'm a little stuck when it comes to whether I would strike or not. I'd certainly suggest that a special needs TA should earn more than a binman. That is not suggesting that the binmen don't carry out a valuable role in society, but an SEN TA is a far more skilled and stressful role.

It's not accurate. See post 23.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
One benefit of living in a flat is you haven't got to put up with bags of uncollected rubbish. On the flip side some would say I live in a rather large dump anyhow :lol:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Under this wonderful Green council my Mum and Dad went 8 weeks along with everybody else in the area without having their recycling collected. So much for their green credentials

I normally give the team in my area a very generous £50 tip at Christmas for the hard work they do, they can do one this year !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And the wonderful Brighton refuse collectors have voted to go on strike again.

https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...ivers-vote-for-two-week-strike-action-3391077

100% on a 79% turnout seems very democratic though. Are you saying there's something wrong with a union legally and democratically voting for a strike? Unless, of course, there was some thug well known for threatening to "bang people out" influencing the members.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
100% on a 79% turnout seems very democratic though. Are you saying there's something wrong with a union legally and democratically voting for a strike? Unless, of course, there was some thug well known for threatening to "bang people out" influencing the members.

No, I’m saying they ain’t getting a tip this Christmas [emoji106]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In many ways, I'm surprised that we still have people prepared to do this work.

See https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/21/maggots-and-mayhem-a-day-on-a-bin-round-in-broken-brexit-britain for an 'inside view'

I’ve haven’t got a clue who’s at fault, but Brighton & Hove have had endless refuse department strikes and other disputes going back 25 years.

We have new neighbours from South London and Wiltshire who get tired of all the missed collections, strikes, a litany of reasons not to collect. They’ve never seen it before.

A long time ago, I have a good memory, I remember local TV news had a piece to examine it. They compared us to the similar sized southern conurbations of Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton. Looking at cost of collection per household, why we’re ridden with strikes and they’re not.

Are BHCC and Veolia awful bosses, the workers and GMB militant, is the pay awful in an expensive to live city?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I normally give the team in my area a very generous £50 tip at Christmas for the hard work they do, they can do one this year !

Not worth 50 pence, the militant ********s, and Mark Taylor is an EXTREME left wing rabble rouser to boot.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I’ve haven’t got a clue who’s at fault, but Brighton & Hove have had endless refuse department strikes and other disputes going back 25 years.

We have new neighbours from South London and Wiltshire who get tired of all the missed collections, strikes, a litany of reasons not to collect. They’ve never seen it before.

A long time ago, I have a good memory, I remember local TV news had a piece to examine it. They compared us to the similar sized southern conurbations of Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton. Looking at cost of collection per household, why we’re ridden with strikes and they’re not.

Are BHCC and Veolia awful bosses, the workers and GMB militant, is the pay awful in an expensive to live city?

My mother has been dead 25 years, she retired having worked for Brighton Council for 30 odd years. She called the dustmen lazy, good for nothing, militant scumbags back then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here