Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binmen going on another 3 day strike

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My wife suggested just dumping our overflowing bin in the middle of the road---until I pointed out no one would notice as our road looks like that AFTER the bin-men have been:moo:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Because it's actually illegal to withhold your council tax - you can go to prison for it. I agree you should get council tax back when a service isn't provided but sadly there is nothing you can do to force this.

Not suggesting withholding all of it, just a very small part of it, mathematically fractionalised to represent the services you're paying for but are not getting, as a protest gesture. The cost of recouping your shortfall will far outweigh the amount withheld. As HT says, if it was organised as a collective effort, you'd soon get the service you are paying for. Personally, if my bins never got collected for a month, I'd look to sue the council through the small claims court and/or look to have them prosecuted for a risk to public health.

The UK functions on a whole raft of implied threats of fines/imprisonment from officialdom, second only to maybe Singapore. Meanwhile the pure criminals at the top of the financial sector get away scot-free when they should be publicly tarred and feathered and run out of town.

Off yer knees!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
This, sadly, is the reality of the situation there - a militant old style GMB branch and a load of Neanderthals.

Perhaps we need those 'neanderthals' to do this type of work because the latter-day inhabitants of Brighton and Hove are tending to be the feckless and workshy, geeks inventing computer games, spivs selling or renting out property and namby-pamby 'artistes' - known of whom would wish to get their hands dirty or know a feckin' days work in their cosseted lives!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because it's actually illegal to withhold your council tax - you can go to prison for it. I agree you should get council tax back when a service isn't provided but sadly there is nothing you can do to force this. The result for [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] will be one of the following :

1. A solicitor's bill for a pointless case and being forced to pay any council tax arrears
2. Just paying his council tax as demanded
3. A stretch at her maj's pleasure making sure he doesn't bend over in the showers

So you didn't read my bit about the solicitor then. Fair enough. Carry on

OH Btw Ross, we have been collected twice since August!

Quick update..the contractors have just collected the bins. .....and they squeezed into the close, even though someone had parked on the corner, where the regular bin lorry drivers say they can't get round, yet this according to the lorry driver we just spoke to is actually a bigger one than normal!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Perhaps we need those 'neanderthals' to do this type of work because the latter-day inhabitants of Brighton and Hove are tending to be the feckless and workshy, geeks inventing computer games, spivs selling or renting out property and namby-pamby 'artistes' - known of whom would wish to get their hands dirty or know a feckin' days work in their cosseted lives!!

Lol those bin dudes could resign on Monday and they could fill the roles by Tuesday.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So you didn't read my bit about the solicitor then. Fair enough. Carry on

I think my point number one shows I did ! I still predict that you will lose and have a bill to prove it.

Just because you can get solicitors and courts involved doesn't mean you'll win. Just ask [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] about his small claims court action against the Albion :facepalm:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think my point number one shows I did ! I still predict that you will lose and have a bill to prove it.

Just because you can get solicitors and courts involved doesn't mean you'll win. Just ask [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] about his small claims court action against the Albion :facepalm:

Fair enough...thanks for your unpaid advice. I always look forward to reading your posts..very enlightening.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Not suggesting withholding all of it, just a very small part of it, mathematically fractionalised to represent the services you're paying for but are not getting, as a protest gesture. The cost of recouping your shortfall will far outweigh the amount withheld. As HT says, if it was organised as a collective effort, you'd soon get the service you are paying for. Personally, if my bins never got collected for a month, I'd look to sue the council through the small claims court and/or look to have them prosecuted for a risk to public health.

The UK functions on a whole raft of implied threats of fines/imprisonment from officialdom, second only to maybe Singapore. Meanwhile the pure criminals at the top of the financial sector get away scot-free when they should be publicly tarred and feathered and run out of town.

Off yer knees!

It's going to take a bit more than a handful of people refusing to pay a very small percentage of their council tax to bring the system down !

Fair enough...thanks for your unpaid advice. I always look forward to reading your posts..very enlightening.

Go on then, refuse to pay part of your council tax. I'll bet you £20 to REMF that the council end up forcing you to pay it or you end up in prison - solicitor or no solicitor.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Maybe go and sit in the corner and think about what you posted? :dunce:

Given you're the one comparing not paying a train fare to not paying part of a council tax demand I'd suggest you might want a re-think :dunce: :facepalm:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I would be happy to take the council & the bin men out on a public green and shoot the feckin lot of them----but I have been self employed for forty years:ohmy: and am RIGHT WING:)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well, assuming that the penalties for not paying Council Tax are the same as for not paying Thatcher's Poll Tax... :whistle:

Poll Tax ( which was actually fairer than council tax but that's a different discussion ) - hundreds of thousands refused to pay
Council Tax - a smal cul-de-sac in Mile Oak refuses to pay a little bit of their bill

Hardly comparing apples with apples is it ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poll Tax ( which was actually fairer than council tax but that's a different discussion ) - hundreds of thousands refused to pay
Council Tax - a smal cul-de-sac in Mile Oak refuses to pay a little bit of their bill

Hardly comparing apples with apples is it ?

In your world, refusal to pay either demands an immediate jail sentence. Bless.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
In your world, refusal to pay either demands an immediate jail sentence. Bless.

Where have I said that ? It COULD end up in a prison sentence if Granny refused to pay - that is what the law says. Obviously it's down the the court to decide but the law allows to someone to be jailed if they don't pay.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Where have I said that ? It COULD end up in a prison sentence if Granny refused to pay - that is what the law says. Obviously it's down the the court to decide but the law allows to someone to be jailed if they don't pay.

I think we're arguing about nothing now, just for the sake of the last word on a dull Sunday afternoon. For that reason I'm out. Nice talking to you.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's going to take a bit more than a handful of people refusing to pay a very small percentage of their council tax to bring the system down !

Go on then, refuse to pay part of your council tax. I'll bet you £20 to REMF that the council end up forcing you to pay it or you end up in prison - solicitor or no solicitor.

With all due respect, Ill do what ever I think is necessary and appropriate and take my advice from friends and professional colleagues, but Thankyou so much for your advice. It is always welcome to hear from you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here