Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bin strike in Adur and Worthing?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So how do you know that they aren't already getting a decent wage and just being greedy?

How do you know they are getting a decent wage?

You said earlier about 'fair' pay. What's fair?

How much do you think someone dealing with the literal waste and detritus of other human beings should fairly expect to be paid?

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
So this is from the council website, published yesterday:

“The result of the review is that our frontline teams are being given decent pay rises, when they were already on comparable pay to staff employed in similar roles at other councils. Our HGV drivers will get a pay rise of more than 12.7%."

So basically they were already on broadly the same wages as their peers in other councils, yet they have a hefty pay rise and STILL want to strike. Ultimately the council tax payer - US pays for this. Personally, believe this is greedy. As I said, if they aren't happy with the wages which will now be slightly above the going rate, then find another job.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

How much do you think someone dealing with the literal waste and detritus of other human beings should fairly expect to be paid?

A quick google suggests £17-26k . . .but if You read the right newspapers £45k for a 25 hour week. amazing.

obviously those ones are lazy commie unionists

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

They aren't picking up sh1t with a shovel. Most of them are wheeling bins with lids containing sealed bags or recycling to hook up to a lorry.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In what way?

You never gave an answer to the question: how much do you think they should be paid?

It's easy enough.

Personally I'd say somewhere between £25-£30k, depending on experience. I think the bands zefarelly pointed out earlier of (£17-£26k) is a bit on the low side for the job they do.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
You never gave an answer to the question: how much do you think they should be paid?

It's easy enough.

Personally I'd say somewhere between £25-£30k, depending on experience. I think the bands zefarelly pointed out earlier of (£17-£26k) is a bit on the low side for the job they do.

Ok so lets use £25-£30kk. Looking at Brighton and Hove Councils job site we have:

Teacher £25,714
Night Care Officer £25,927
Social Worker £27,741
Mechanic £27,741

So you are saying that a refuse collector should be paid the same as a Teacher or Social Worker without any of the qualifications or pressure?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Ok so lets use £25-£30kk. Looking at Brighton and Hove Councils job site we have:

Teacher £25,714
Social Worker £27,741
Mechanic £27,741

So you are saying that a refuse collector should be paid the same as a Teacher or Social Worker without any of the qualifications or pressure?

Yep.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Teacher £25,714
Social Worker £27,741
Mechanic £27,741

I'm really not going to get drawn into this one, except to say that I reckon most people in the first list could do the job of a refuse collector if they needed to / wanted to with minimal training; but a refuse collector couldn't transfer into a teaching, social care or mechanics job without the right skills / considerable training. So it seems reasonable that that is reflected in a salary differential, even if for no other reason than that is how labour markets work, before you even consider a premium for aquired skills.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm really not going to get drawn into this one, except to say that I reckon most people in the first list could do the job of a refuse collector if they needed to / wanted to with minimal training; but a refuse collector couldn't transfer into a teaching, social care or mechanics job without the right skills / considerable training. So it seems reasonable that that is reflected in a salary differential, even if for no other reason than that is how labour markets work, before you even consider a premium for aquired skills.

Yeah, I agree.

As I've said above - all those jobs are underpaid as well.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd imagine the difference between average and good has been skimmed off by the outsourcing and management thereof.

like most services ( and the NHS is in this bracket) there's a 'consultant / parasite' somewhere in the middle making life very comfortable for himself whilst making it increasingly uncomfortable for everyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here