Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour How good was he tonight?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A goal to his game… yet to score a domestic goal for any side!

And the nutmeg to play himself out of trouble has to be the moment for Wee Billy tonight. Zidane would’ve been proud of that one.
0D780DA4-D1CE-46E6-8AD6-C505EE2762FD.gif

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I said a few months ago, his play reminds me of another Billy. Billy Bremner.
I think he's better than Bremner.

A while back, I said he reminded me of those nippy Spanish midfielders who were the engine room of Barcelona at their peak - Xavi and Iniesta.
Like them, he has a low centre of gravity, keeps the ball and is getting better and better. And at still only 22, his best is yet to come.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think he's better than Bremner.

A while back, I said he reminded me of those nippy Spanish midfielders who were the engine room of Barcelona at their peak - Xavi and Iniesta.
Like them, he has a low centre of gravity, keeps the ball and is getting better and better. And at still only 22, his best is yet to come.
I’ve seen another couple of references to Iniesta today. Probably a much better comparison.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not saying he won't get there but I think he needs to be consistently world class before we compare him to Xavi, Iniesta, Bremner or Mac Allister. Three of those have won the world cup FFS.

That said, he's got better and better since he first got a consistent run in the side in the final third of last season and is surely now one of the first on the team sheet, and was absolutely superb yesterday.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not saying he won't get there but I think he needs to be consistently world class before we compare him to Xavi, Iniesta, Bremner or Mac Allister. Three of those have won the world cup FFS.

That said, he's got better and better since he first got a consistent run in the side in the final third of last season and is surely now one of the first on the team sheet, and was absolutely superb yesterday.
He's better than the overrated maccer.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Another thing about Gilmour's performance that I loved was the number of times he was offerring cover, sometimes as the last man, in the full back positions. I think he's is totally getting now the role RDZ wants from him.

And also can't get over just how vocal he is. Easily our biggest talker on the pitch. As a young man and seemingly not a brash fella, he's noticeably now in the fringes of our leadership group. Wonderful to see.

But most. The thing I purr over and I urge you to look out for it if you've not noticed it, is the little glance around he takes about a second before he receives the ball. Quality. And the glance is always forward, because that's where he's looking to get the ball. That's why he can make 60 passes out of 60.

Undeniably in our best starting XI in my view

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Scotland do have a strong midfield these days with WBG, McGinn and McThug, but maybe winning the world cup is over-egging it a bit.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But most. The thing I purr over and I urge you to look out for it if you've not noticed it, is the little glance around he takes about a second before he receives the ball. Quality. And the glance is always forward, because that's where he's looking to get the ball. That's why he can make 60 passes out of 60.
That's the key - and to be fair to Llana and Gross they have that ability too - to know where/who they are gong to pass the ball to before they receive it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As he was for us in his first season. He clearly takes time to settle. It's been less than half a season FFS.

Honestly, who were you watching last season while the rest of us watched him pull the strings for Brighton and Hove Albion?
Let's see. I've held the same view the whole time. He's a top 10 epl midfielder not a top 2 player. Decent but overrated. Caciedo was the man last season , hence the price tag being twice as much.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's see. I've held the same view the whole time. He's a top 10 epl midfielder not a top 2 player. Decent but overrated. Caciedo was the man last season , hence the price tag being twice as much.
He's been shit this season for Chelsea, comically enough. Why haven't you decided he's "banggggg average" too?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He's been shit this season for Chelsea, comically enough. Why haven't you decided he's "banggggg average" too?
I will give him more time although Chelsea fck the best of them. I saw years of maccer, so would need him to do something special consistently to convince me otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here